The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been beaten to death but not sure if anything new is out this fall. We have a 1395 farm king and looking to get a second. It seems to break a lot of sheer bolts otherwise been a good auger. Any other ones a guy should look at? Always thought sakundiaks did well but only had 8 inch straight augers.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
We have had very little trouble with are 13" Farm King. Ours has 2 shear pin bolts, only time we shear them is when we try to over :eek: fill a bin or try to fill the hopper right up and you can usually hear that just before the bolt breaks.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Rather then assume the drive shaft was put on the right way, I'll ask the dumb question because I've seen it happen too many times before. The sheer bolt end of the drive shaft with the single U joint is attached to your tractor PTO, correct ?.

What I have seen and had it happen with an auger we had delivered to our yard a couple of years back, they threw on the driveshaft backwards but of course I caught it as I checked over the auger but if one wasn't familiar with it or in a rush and just hook on and go augering, it would be easily done to have the shaft backwards and put up to a bin, that single U joint taking the brunt of the angle of the shaft would pulse violently in a fast/slow motion and all sorts of nice things including the sheer bolt would go.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Rather then assume the drive shaft was put on the right way, I'll ask the dumb question because I've seen it happen too many times before. The sheer bolt end of the drive shaft with the single U joint is attached to your tractor PTO, correct ?.

What I have seen and had it happen with an auger we had delivered to our yard a couple of years back, they threw on the driveshaft backwards but of course I caught it as I checked over the auger but if one wasn't familiar with it or in a rush and just hook on and go augering, it would be easily done to have the shaft backwards and put up to a bin, that single U joint taking the brunt of the angle of the shaft would pulse violently in a fast/slow motion and all sorts of nice things including the sheer bolt would go.
Had the same thing happen to me when the delivered our auger, went tru a few shear bolts before we figgured out what was wrong. Shear bolts should be at the tractor Pto.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I forgot to also mention that you should check to see that the drive shaft U joints are in phase although for all I know it may only be possible to assemble one way but that I don't know for sure. Its weird to look at a CV joint on one end and a single U joint on the other to check phasing but as far as I know if you look at the yoke that is welded to either slip shaft half, if they are lined up with one another then its the way it should be. A quick check of that certainly won't hurt.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The hopper is supposed to be geared so that it cant plug the main auger. However I have seen it with tough grain that the main tube cant take it away fast enough. Something to watch on a year like this.
We have brandt swing and harrows and they work well but just a shade on the light duty side compared to other brands.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Snake. I have a Westfield MK 10"x61' Swing auger. It`s been a great auger for us...user friendly and reliable and good value for money. I would reccommend.
We've had a Westfield MK 10x71 since 2000. Put nearly a million bushels through it. We've rebuilt the CV joint once, replaced the tractor end u-joint once and replaced the bearings, sprockets and chain on the drop box once. It may be the most reliable piece of equipment on the farm (and I probably jinxed it by posting this :cool:).

Mark

·
Registered
474 Posts
13 x 71 westfield with electric swing mover and winch, with the remote you can pull up with the semi and position the hopper with out jumping in and out, its great and simple.check around for price. Saskatoon coop beat local dealer by 2 grand.says it is because of large volume. worked for me.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Hey guys talking about the cv joint and the shear bolts I have a 12 inch sakundiak. And it says in the book to hook the cv joint to the tractor and the shear bolts at the auger end of drive shaft, after I changed mine around my auger seemed to run smoother, especially when set up at tall bins.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hey guys talking about the cv joint and the shear bolts I have a 12 inch sakundiak. And it says in the book to hook the cv joint to the tractor and the shear bolts at the auger end of drive shaft, after I changed mine around my auger seemed to run smoother, especially when set up at tall bins.
I would put the cv joint on which ever end has the worst angle. On a Farm King that is the auger end, Also take an extra thirty seconds when setting up on a bin to keep tractor nice in line with auger. This way u joints only have one angle to deal with and everything will run much smoother.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
13 x 71 westfield with electric swing mover and winch, with the remote you can pull up with the semi and position the hopper with out jumping in and out, its great and simple.check around for price. Saskatoon coop beat local dealer by 2 grand.says it is because of large volume. worked for me.
Electric swing is the cats ass if you have a semi. I don't know why anybody would want hydraulic swing, way to many trips in and out of the semi for me. All our swings are setup with ag remotes.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.