The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Combine community! Last year I received a JD 7700 Combine from a family member who is retiring from farming. There’s not a lot of folks still farming in what once was a community of agriculture in this small town in South Louisiana; so, in hopes of “passing on the torch”, I was given this combine to give me a start in farming and become a part of the agriculture in this area.

It’s great to have a resource like the combine forum as there is barely a handful of folks, locally, that know anything about these old machines.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Well at least the knives are not 8n the dirt and hopefully the cab is not too mousey.....
What has been done with the land that used to be farmed? Has it just been let to grow grass or weeds or ?.

What are your first year plans?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, The combine was in useable condition, hydrostatic leaked like a sieve but everything was mostly operational. I harvested Bahia and Carpetgrass seed in the fall of last year and the market was good for it so I should get a small check this spring... maybe it will even pay for the hydrostatic transmission I just replaced.

The land we’re working with has not been lying fallow, it has been running cattle and sheep and is also on an old pecan orchard. I don’t have any cows yet but I have about 75 Kathadin/Dorper ewes that I’ve started out with. Needless to say, with sheep; there are many a fence that need upgrades to become sheep worthy.

Plans are to set up some beehives, keep running sheep, harvest pecans, grow ornamental flowers, find a way to work some educational agritourism into the mix.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I remember hearing a guy on the radio talk about how to tell if a fence will hold sheep.

He said you take a bucket of water. Go out to the fence and throw the water at it. If it gets wet on the opposite side of the fence the sheep will find a way out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Sound like you have a pretty good plan!
Farm diversification is one of the best things you can do
You know the saying, don't keep all your eggs in the same basket!
?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the encouragement. Those sheep are crafty little things.

My angle is that at least 1-2 things will fail out of my control, every year... so if I have that diversification maxed out, I might just make it through each year.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Agri tourism is huge nowadays. If you are close to a big city, can maybe held a agrimarket with some local produce and other homemade thing, once a month, some bunnys and sheep and goats for the kids to play with. Tractor rides. City folk will pay money to show there kids what a farm looks like...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts