The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

My name is Andrew and I am from Romania, as the title says I am new to JD-AMS and I have a few questions for which, hopefully, I would get some objective answers, not like those from my local dealer.

We recently bought a S680 and it has the GS3 display with SF2 activation on it, the whole AutoTrack-ready hydraulics + a SF3000 antenna also with SF2 on it.

The thing is that I would like to have similar systems on our tractors (two 8530) that we use for tilling but most important for seeding.

The local dealer has this "ATU" package 13.500 Euros (~ $18.00):
- GS3 Display with SF2 activation
- SF3000 antenna with SF2 activation
- a steering wheel

My questions to you are:
1. Is it worth buying the ATU package for the 8530 tractors or should I consider other GPS-guidance providers? If so, which are the ones you recommend and what are their prices? I only heard about Trimble and that was through this forum.

2. RTK seems very efficient, is there any other provider for RTK stations, or is the SF3000 and GS3 compatible with other RTK antennas other than that of JD because they charge 40.000 euros for one here.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
If it does plug and play which I can't see any reason why it would not I would definitely keep with greenstar. Generic platforms don't seem to be a good solution and the GPS company will blame the tractor and deere will blame the gps company. Solutions to problems will be easier to fix if you are running what was designed to go in there in the first place. I have gs2 in an 8130. Most deeres will have greenstar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@farmerjones, the tractor is equipped with auto trac but it does not have the display and the antenna, so I was wondering if I should consider buying this equipment from JD or from other suppliers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it does plug and play which I can't see any reason why it would not I would definitely keep with greenstar. Generic platforms don't seem to be a good solution and the GPS company will blame the tractor and deere will blame the gps company. Solutions to problems will be easier to fix if you are running what was designed to go in there in the first place. I have gs2 in an 8130. Most deeres will have greenstar.
Thank you for your answer, and what you said is a common practice in our part of the world unfortunately. What about using RTK? do you use it? Is it from JD? or another RTK antenna?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I do use RTK . Part of your expense has at least been born by the fact you have bought SF2. I would not bother with SF2 normally but you need that software to use RTK . I am not aware that other bases can talk to john deere receivers. To cheapen the price I have bought software from USA secondhand and I can also see you can buy RTK secondhand no problem. I have seen an article that says that on a horizontal plane the SF1 is no worse than SF2 but differs greatly on the vertical which is of no use to you anyway. So I would say save your money and use it on SF1. If you don't believe me you can just change your receiver type under menu then receiver and I think settings and try it for a few passes. Particularly easy when you are harvesting. RTK is excellent though not perfect. I have had small drifts (IMO ) where we are ten km from the base that is really well setup. We don't own the base but pay a hire of the signal that covers all our units. I wouldn't seed without RTK as I am CTF and wanting to return to last years rows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you like the system in your S680, having everything using the same platforms makes operation easy, less errors and way easier to service. Plus the Deere system is pretty good. I have RTK...the antenna and radio for RTK is pretty inexpensive from Deere and it just plugs in and works with your existing SF2...it's by far the easiest, straight forward way to go to RTK. SF2 is extremely accurate now...4" accuracy, are you sure you need RTK? We use it because our fields are filled with odd edges along trees and rivers and filled with waterways, terraces, trees, and all tracks are curves so we wanted as much accuracy as possible. Our other tractor is just SF2, and so be honest, it seems to perform as well as the RTK the vast majority of the time, especially if you are doing straight lines.
Can you please detail some more on how RTK works? I was told that I have to buy and RTK base station, which should be mounted 50 - 65 ft from the ground in order to cover 15-20 km around it. This base station is said to cost 40.000 Euros ($54.000).

You mentioned an antenna and radio for RTK, did you mean the base station (antenna) and subscription (radio) which you pay to your local JD?

Also I do not know how you guys have it in the US but here you have to pay a monthly / yearly tax in order to benefit from SF2.

The reasons I would consider getting RTK is because it has an unlimited number of machines to which it can connect and you only pay once, and the extra accuracy.

Regarding the shape of our lands, we do not have lakes, big valleys or any trees at all, so I guess SF2 should be enough? They also said that SF2 has 5 cm (2") accuracy and that RTK has 2 cm (0.8") accuracy. You said 4", is that from your personal experience or that is what your JD dealer said?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.