The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgraded combines. Needed to save straw so opted for another walker machine. Any real bad points to be aware of?? It has about 2000 engine hours on it. Any notes or advice appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A couple of threads you probably should read.

Page 4: Attention: All 50/60 Series Combine Owners

Page 12: Undocumented Grease Zerk.

Good luck.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Keep an eye on the plastic fan shroud. Check all your ground wires and make sure they are all getting good connection. I cant keep control modules in my machine any longer than a year and they fail. Im on my third corner post and second armrest control module.
Watch the feeder house fan shaft bearings and cheap idlers on the little belt that drives it.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Buy the biggest portable air compressor you can afford and keep the chaff blown off. 8 hp is a minimium.

Pay close attention to the area behind the gear box that is behind the cab on the left side. This is where the power shaft crosses from the left side of the combine to the right. The header clutch is on the outside of this gearbox. The power shaft runs in a plastic tube above the beater. The tube can get full of chaff and cause a fire.

Keep the chaff off the rear plastic body panel on the left side behind the chopper drive. Sparks from the muffler will land in the accumulated chaff and smoulder. Mine is scorched in this area.

Grease the bejeapers out of the walker bearings. Buy an electric grease gun for this. 15 pumps times 10 zerks just takes to long with a hand operated gun. 10 hours or daily, I don't care if the book says 50 hours or not.

Replace all the little plastic blocks on all the belt tensioner adjusters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
make sure to keep an eye on the chopper jackshaft bearings. they like to go out freqeuntly. ive replaced many. it is where the belt comes down from engine and drives the chopper belts. grease them daily. 5 shots

·
Registered
289 Posts
Quote:Grease the bejeapers out of the walker bearings. Buy an electric grease gun for this. 15 pumps times 10 zerks just takes to long with a hand operated gun. 10 hours or daily, I don't care if the book says 50 hours or not.

Replace all the little plastic blocks on all the belt tensioner adjusters.

It takes nearly 40 pumps to fill one walker bearing after a full day of running.
The electric grease pump is not reliable enough to know how much grease you really put in, especially sinc one can't see well, when the front bearings are full and the grease comes out. I have seen people do a lot of damage with those electric grease pumps either over or under greasing.

From 8+ years around 96xx walker machines I recommend 40 pumps per walker bearing every day with the good old hand pump. And don't get concerned when they seem a bit loose. That's how they are. They get snug being full with grease.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Quote:5 shots might be a little too much and the reason why they go out for you. Too much grease pushes the bearing seals out and lets dirt in. The little cleaning fan bearing often dies for that same reason.
I have seen many 9600s with over 2000 sep. hours and the original jack shaft bearings.

Agreed. I've seen it many times. Maybe 5 shots every 40 or 50 instead. I hate electric greasers cuz you can't feel the grease going in, or when you're pushing the seal out. Leave them for the construction equipment. It's good for your forearms anyway.

·
Registered
289 Posts
5 shots might be a little too much and the reason why they go out for you. Too much grease pushes the bearing seals out and lets dirt in. The little cleaning fan bearing often dies for that same reason.
I have seen many 9600s with over 2000 sep. hours and the original jack shaft bearings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I was wondering on the play in those blocks and was thinking that I may have to replace them. I'll give them the grease first. As far as electric guns, I own one but only use it to fill gearcases. All the electrical has me a bit nervous.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ralf i personally do not have them go out on me. i work on jd combines and found that 5 shots every day has extended the life of them. it may push the seal out yes but as greentech said the hand gun is key. they are double sealed bearings as well

·
Registered
530 Posts
Guys I cant believe you are all wasting your money on all that grease. I dont get rid of my walker machines until they have over 9000 seperator hours and I run wood blocks instead of the alloys and my grease consumption is less than half what it used to be and the cranks last just as long if not longer due to the grease no longer being there attracting dirt. Minuteman get rid of the stinkin alloy blocks and dont ever worry about how much grease or how often or if its hot add more bla bla bla,
To those who disagree with changing back to the wood blocks, you should check out the lates WTS machines, they went back to wood.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
d**n dan...once we hit 2000sep hours or so we usually look into other machines since 2000hours of mostly corn wear things out in a hurry.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would tend to think that any combine would be scrap at 9000 hrs. Older 9600s with 3500 sep hrs are still only worth 25g around here. Davedan, you must do alot of cereals. With 9000 hrs of corn you would've spent more on augers and replacing sheet metal than the combine is worth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts