The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin and I have been looking a a couple New Holland combines are have a few questions if you guys would like to help us out.
What are some differences in the TR96 and TR98? Are they the same capacity and class size?
Also what all did they change or beef up between the series?
Curious about numbers, what is the difference between 98/88 or 97/87 just different sizes, but as the numbers get bigger is the newer models?
What model header would yall recommend for the two machines. (can't afford a new draper, but they are beautiful!)
We rode in a TR98 the other day doing 5.0mph in 240 bushel corn, leaving three kernels per square foot on the ground, and getting hardly and dock for cobs or trash. What a great simple combine, we loved it and are excited to try one against our other machines.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
11 Posts
i'm sure i will miss several items here but the 98 should have the updated clean grain chain wrap system which is most likely the most serious update from the 96 and a 98 may have the Rice bubbleup auger which is heavier & has hard surfacing the entire length of the auger....not to say someone couldn't have upgraded a 96 either??? the 98 will have elec/over/hyd switches for the header clutch, the thresher and the unload auger. the straw chopper will be of a better design and it's drives. 98 should have the newer design of rotors i would assume that allows one to screw in pegs or not along the rotors themselves. the rasp bars as they wrap & attach to the rotor are slightly different. the 98 should have the Genesis motor and the 96 i will guess has the Ford Industrial that is slightly different from the Genesis or a turboed Cat 3208???

if you have a vari speed feeder on them, the 98 will have the newer vari design. a slight improvement only........and IMO, even the newest TR vari feeder design is the weakest link on the machines and this goes clear back to the first TR's.

some minor differences in cab.

others will surely add & correct any mistakes i have made in the comparison.

get the newest NH platform header you can for either machine would be my advice.........actually find a used 30ft Honey Bee draper would be my best advice. best of luck with your hunt!

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
I have a TR98 but don't do corn. But second the honeybee comment. They make everything better! The 90s TRs are the same size. There was a big change in the middle of the TR96s, but beyond that they are quite similar.

They are probably the best/biggest capacity for the money. They seem to be at a discount to most, and will cut with newer machines. They do have some wear issues, but they put a lot of bushels through per hour, so its kind of expected.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The TR98 is just a newer model of the same basic capacity as a TR96. I have a TR96 and TR99. They are basically identical in operation. In ideal conditions they roll side by side, when conditions deteriorate the 99 keeps rolling and the 96 will fall behind. I believe the 99 has a bit more hp 280 compared to 260 on the 96 and possibly some updates on the rotors. The 99 and maybe the 98 have some heavier chains and some things reinforced that may be weak spots on the 96.

If you can find a lower hour TR96 in good condition you will get alot of harvesting capacity for not alot of money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts