The Combine Forum banner

New to NewHolland TX36

26K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  wheatwhacker 
#1 ·
Looking for advice on the ins and outs of this machine We ran 2 7721 jds last 10years but have now taken on more land and losing the hired help bought a TX36 in good condition last summer and took off 1000 acres of peas,oats,canola and grow barley,flax,wheat as well. The 2speed rotorysep slips in slow in canola (book suggests right) . bearing holder on bin unload auger broke (2piece easy fix) unload chain is noisy want to put bearing idler instead of block. have a small tick in cylinder area when concave is closed up which developed after a plugup been inside can't find anything. When do i use the small close off doors at front of concave? what else should i watch? had to replace fan screen drive belt on radiator ,sure drives a small pully for its weight! tiny little altenator belt replaced . Love the self levelling chaffer (always fed the cows on the side hills. you probably have the 66 now but started where i have. tell me all you can modifications maitenence (air breather gets dirty fast) areas to watch and your settings in these crops don't trust the monitor and don't want to run behind. How are the 66's different (parts) after market doesn't list the 36 often. Any body put in a sunnybrooke cyl.

#2 ·
The ticking could be a wire somewhere in the concave that has bent up a bit or come loose. Mine ticked like
that for a few years and never found out what it was untill I replaced the front concave.

The close off doors at the front of the concave I think you are talking about the deawning doors.
I always try not to use them because it slows the machine ground speed down due to the area
of the concave being less when they are shut. Less grain is separated at the front of the concave
with them closed and it has to separate further back. When they are closed you get a bit more
aggressive thrashing because the grain that piles up there rubs the crop coming in a bit harder.

I end up usually always running them closed in wheat and very rarely in corn and soybeans.
In soys in hard to thrash conditions it helps getting more beans out of the pods a little
gentler than the rethrashers do without speeding up the cylinder or closing it down more
The soy beans I grow go to japan and they dont want nicks and splits in them.

I run the rear concave closed and on high speed except for corn. In wheat in easy to thrash
wheat I tried it open once and it kept slipping the belt as if the straw was wrapping around the
rotary separator.

My airfilter only gets cleaned about every 600 acres and usually would go longer.
For a while it was only lasting a few days and I found that the exhaust venturi
extractor was plugged right where the hose goes into the breather filter can.
The filter gets its air from between the rad and rotary screen so is somewhat prefiltered
which helps.
In a non rotary combine like the tx's the monitor is your friend if you want to run the
combine at capacity throughout the changing conditions across the field.
A rotory often runs up to the power limit and that sets your field speed.
On the 68 the limit is often how much you can get the grain separated
before it goes out the back of the machine. Sometimes its the walkers
and sometimes its the chaffer. Having the monitor set up good allows
you to vary the groundspeed to keep the machine as full as possible
without throwing anything out the back. If you have a returns monitor
it helps somewhat too. It is sometimes very noticable how the ground
speed changes across a seemingly even stand of crop.

Things to check
Cleaning fan blade spokes
The air deflectors should be checked for cracks especially around the mounting
bolts at each end
Bearings on end of the 2 walker crankshafts just lift up on the walkers and watch for play.
Walker bearings dont cause any problem if they are like a 66 and68
Make sure you fasten the door on the rethrasher good or it will fall in the fan
and destroy it.
If it has the ford rear axle and not the mud hog you got to change the oil in
the hub once in a while
Check all the rubbers in the shoe suspension movement points they are inexpensive
compared to other brands and if they come out it will do alot of pounding on the shoe.
There is a flange in the tank where the turret auger pivots that can wear at the bottom
after alot of acres. Right below the universal joint on the unloading auger. Mine is wore
but still ok. It would be bad if this broke form being too thin.

This is tx 68 stuff that I am guessing is the same on a 36. There are no 36s in my area
so I have never seen one in the flesh.

#3 ·
One other differance is the two bar feeder chain not the three bar like the 66's and 68's. Don't know if you do any chopping of straw, but also watch the bottom of the baffle door, canola can hang up on the lip on the bottom and plug the walkers. Very good choppers on these combines, they run at over 3000 rpm, but the opening at the top is a wee bit small in canola.

#4 ·
Two big things are different on the TX 66's. One is the cab and two is the motor, you have the 401 cubic inch engine and the 66's have the 456 cid. Also about the rotorysep, run it on high all the time and keep the concave on the lower setting(will give you much more straw out the back).We never had a 36 but one of the only things that is different about the shoe is the 36 is a small bit shorter. I too also like the SLS, neat to whatch in the field.

#11 ·
My air filter has a screened stack right above it where it draws from don't think its plumbed to the rotory screen. I also remembered seeing a optional stack extention( in what is left of my owners manual) for "dirty conditions". Maybe a Turbo II precleaner would do the trick?
I also thought it might be a concave wire causing my TICK but can't find it.
Another problem is my cab lights will cut out momentarily at night ,not all my lights but,the top ones if i remember right. (Im the mech/trucker brother runs combine)

#13 ·
Had a similar problem with the ticking and couldn't find it of course untill it got worse. Turns out the bars were hitting the bolt that holds the sheet metal plate that pivots and covers the concave adjustment slot on the side. It finally caught and ripped it out and was lots of fun to try and fix. Eventually replaced everything when I put in a Sunnybrook cylinder and concave which is an impressive update to make.

#15 ·
Well it's expensive. lol Plugging becomes almost nonexistent because once that mass is rotating it wants to keep going. It's very aggressive so you use less RPM's and increase clearance more than the old system and easier to crack grain. But you can run it as slow as 350 -400 in super dry conditions in canola/peas. Not sure if it has anything to do with it but I broke the hub out of a new variable speed cylinder pulley. The extra weight maybe and slugging canola through? The deawning plates are still there if you need them in wheat. The staggered bars do seem to feed more even and might contribute more to the less slugging than the extra weight of a solid cylinder. It does increase capacity though was picking up 42' of malt barley at 3-6 mph in the hills.

#16 ·
been off here for a while (cold and calving is fast and furious,full moon will do it) cowboy are you running a 66 ? I had intrest in the sunnybrooke when i had talked to someone that ran 3 9600's and one of them had a sunnybrooke ,his father had dibs on it every harvest or else dad stayed in the house. He said the capacity ,gentleness, vibration and noise reduction,and feeding made the others feel like dogs and thought it used less fuel.

#18 ·
I just thought of this..

If the filler plates are in the cylinder, and if it is like a tx68 in this regard, the cylinder
will become unbalanced especially if you shut off the thrasher when unloading at
the end of the field. The dust and straw that gets inside all falls to the bottom and
the next time you start it up it will vibrate as all the junk in there is on one spot in
the cylinder. You can take the filler plates out and replace them with high inertia
bars on the tx 68. This stopped the unbalance vibration problem because there
is more room for the dirt to get back out. Before I found out about these bars
I would need to leave the thrasher on all day. When it got bad one way to even
up the vibration was to start and stop the thrasher a few times which helped a
bit.

The other advantage of the high inertia bars is that wads of straw that is not
feeding in very evenly will not stop the cylinder so easily. The combine performed
much better with them in there. I leave them in for all our crops which is corn soys
and wheat.

#21 ·
that's one thing the solid cylinder doesn't have to worry about as no dirt and material builds up inside. I heard once that someone placed a couple of balls inside the standard cylinder that would dislodgge the dust and keep it balanced.
Yes I have a TX 66 and that comment about using less fuel with the Sunnybrook I can't say for sure but having combined with IH rotaries and 9000 series JD's the NH uses way less fuel than they do and covers more acres doing it. So that's a good thing these days. I rented a CR 960 last fall and it was pretty hard on fuel compared to the TX but it did have more capacity especially the drier it got as the TX overthrashes easy when it's really dry.
Another thought about the TX36 is check the bubble up auger in the tank. ( I assume it's the same). Being double thickness flyting at the top end fooled me because lower down it was worn very badly and was the reason in heavy oats it couldn't take clean grain away fast enough and was plugging the cleaning fan with grain spilling into it. The capacity in oats is really impressive but with the Sunnybrook I found I was peeling the kernels being overly aggressive in tough straw conditions. You learn as you go.

#22 ·
Oh yes in canola drop the stationary knives in the chopper or it will cut the stems off clean and quit feeding down and plug the walkers. Exellent chopper and will chop flax good too. If replacing knives the best are serrated on the ends also and spread further too. Sensitive to going out of balance with damaged knives though and can shake pretty bad and must replace knives in pairs on opposite sides.

#24 ·
Some one tell me and clear up hugo and tx66's engine question . The engine ford serial # is vz093375, has turbo hard to see model number has the ford oval badge on side .
So is it a 401 or or474 and if so what else had it ,hp, strengths weaknesses,
ya the chopper openning is very small thanks for the info.

#25 ·
So was the 94 tx66 the same combine with added hp ,extra rethrasher, and cab reno/electrical goodies. If i need a salvage/aftermarket part can i look for 66s?
someone had mentioned earlier that they had a sticky hydro lever that suddenly moved to much. I also found this unloading off the truck as it arrived here. soaking the cable from the cab end helped but hard to get at under cab but with alternating shots of pen. oil and air i managed some and the same procedure from the trans. end up top helped alot.
thanks for the specs tx66! what is the bu cap of the hopper it was very decieving the first time i filled it.
has anyone added extended grease tubes to any of those hard to get at zerks.

One thing we had to get use to was the fact that with the inceased capacity(use to run behind with shovel) that there was another variable we needed to employ to acheive a better sample. That was increasing speed to keep it full.
any one have the spec breakdown ,as tx66 gave me, for a similar era 9600. the reason for this is that the farmer from who i bought it ran a 9600 beside it for years and had kept the 36 when he needed only one.
on the 66 where is the extra rethrasher otherside or same side shared elevator?

#26 ·
Tx 66 ,in your first reply you said to always leave the rotor sep. on the high setting any one done peas lentils? does it crack these, its just hard to know where the bottle neck is in these crops are if its to dry.
And you said to leave the concave on the low setting ,is the theory to let the backbeater and rotor do the work. doesn,t the concave lever adjust the clearance on all three cyl,b. beater,and rotory sep? and is that in all your crop settings? or is lower just more open then the suggested settings ? Sorry I love the idea of the extra rotory sep it just adds another variable to my knowledge of setting a conventional combine(ran JD).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.