The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We run a 1660 combine and traded off our 20ft 1020 head for a 25ft 1020. Nothing changed on the combine, but the new head isn't jiving with our combine very well. The head was previously setup for a 2388. We got the short adapter harness so it would be compatible for a 1660. When the head goes all the way down, it immediately goes up 3", then back down, then up 3" repeatedly. So what else needs looked at? We even used a neighbors known, working short adapter harness and it still wouldn't work. I have a video on my iPhone but can’t figure out what I need to do to get it on here

·
Registered
80 Posts
We have a 2188 and run a 1020.. when we got it i believe it came off an older 16xx series and we had to put on a different pot to make it work right .. iirc there was a serial number break with the 21’s and everything earlier used one type of pot and the later ones used another

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The Newer style pot has a different stroke and voltage change that the older style pot. Headsight has dealt with this a lot, and we have "reducer" adapters we can provide to help control this. (Its a short adapter at the 3 pin round plug; its essentially the same thing as what you got from CIH - electrically). The thing is, 1 adapter should solve the problem, but I've had customers who needed 2, and 1 guy who needed 3, before the head would stop hunting. This can worse on those combines that do not have a accumulator, or its not charged correctly, or the valving is a bit sticky. SO here is my recommendation:
  • If you have an accumulator, make sure its charged, then set the valve 1-2 turns open.
  • Adjust the drop rate screw slower. 8-10 seconds is not unusual.
  • If its still hunting, you will either need to replace the sensor, or call us (jeff at headsight) for more info.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Jeff. That's a good place for me to start. I was wondering if it was going down too fast since its 25% heavier than the head we were running and we didn't adjust anything on the drop rate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts