The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our Shop

Our shop is 112 feet long and 60 feet wide with 18 foot high walls allowing for 16 foot high doors. We hope that when the hopper extensions and grain tank loading augers are in working position they will still come in the 16 foot high doors. The old ones did but with only about 6 inches to spare. If one is building a building now it should have 20 foot walls and 18 foot doors. We are very proud of our shop. Thanks for noticing.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Our shop is 112 feet long and 60 feet wide with 18 foot high walls allowing for 16 foot high doors. We hope that when the hopper extensions and grain tank loading augers are in working position they will still come in the 16 foot high doors. The old ones did but with only about 6 inches to spare. If one is building a building now it should have 20 foot walls and 18 foot doors. We are very proud of our shop. Thanks for noticing.
I recently purchased a building. Most difficult was deciding dimensions. But haven't paid for it all yet, so that might be more painful. A guy wants it big enough to get machinery in for the future but keep cost down on building and heating. I will have a 22' x 50' door in one end. 22' clearance under trusses. My overall sq footage will be less than yours but not by much.

On your combine purchase were you intentionally staying away from the new S series?
How many sep. hrs did you get to on your 60 series?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recently purchased a building. Most difficult was deciding dimensions. But haven't paid for it all yet, so that might be more painful. A guy wants it big enough to get machinery in for the future but keep cost down on building and heating. I will have a 22' x 50' door in one end. 22' clearance under trusses. My overall sq footage will be less than yours but not by much.

On your combine purchase were you intentionally staying away from the new S series?
How many sep. hrs did you get to on your 60 series?
Sounds like you will have a nice shop too. Lots of height, good choice, lots of room for taller equipment in the future. We have insulation under the floor, in floor heat, R28 in the walls and R40 in the attic. most winter months it costs around 150 dollars to heat it. It has been a very worthwhile addition to the farm.
Yes we did intentionally stay away from the S series. Have heard and seen some not so good things about them. Decided to stick with the 70 series. Not that easy to find two the same with relatively low hours. Our 9660 had 1568 sep hours on it and our 9860 had 1204.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just from curiosity, what is the vertical amber light on the back of one combine?:confused:
Rotating beacon. A warning light for on the road and it also comes on when the grain tank is near full alerting the grain cart operator to get over there. It appears to have been removed on one combine. No one noticed it until they were delivered to the farm. The dealer is supposed to be getting us one to replace it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HFL9860 do you find the 112ft long enough to get semis in etc? We need to build a heated shop as well. If you had to do it again would you do anything different with the dimensions? Thanks for posting the pictures.

We have a drive through bay with a door on each end. Lots of room for a truck and super B. Truck and trailers are about 90 feet long. We often load the truck in the evening and park it in there loaded. So nice to go out in the morning and let it warm up and check tires etc. in a warm building. Don't think we would do to much differently. Just a couple more drains in the floor. When the super B comes home covered with snow we have to squgee some water to the floor drain.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
Thanks for the info. Your new combines look great. As far as over head doors do you have any advise on width and placement of the doors? Did you go with a drive through design for the semi on one side of the building and is one of the door on one end bigger than the other to bring in wider equiptment? Did you put any doors in the side of the building? Thanks SouthernSK

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how do you deal with gravel and sludge with your floor drain our plugs like after 1 truck pulls in, very frustrating.
Hasn't been a problem. We have fairly small holes in a steel plate covering our sump. Gravel stays out of it. Sump is a couple of feet deeper than where it drains out the side. Mud settles to the bottom. I guess it will need to be cleaned eventually.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info. Your new combines look great. As far as over head doors do you have any advise on width and placement of the doors? Did you go with a drive through design for the semi on one side of the building and is one of the door on one end bigger than the other to bring in wider equiptment? Did you put any doors in the side of the building? Thanks SouthernSK
Yes, we have a drive through bay right next to the wall. Both doors are 16x16. We have a 24x16 door on the side wall near the end of the wall. Might have been better to have the bigger door in the end wall to. Easier to bring two semis in that way. Never would have believed that we would have two super Bs but we do now. As it is we can bring both trucks and trailers in at the same time. But not that easy to back the one out. Wouldn't want to bring them both in loaded anyhow. All that weight on the floor would scare me.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
If you put a bigger door in the end do you think you would put it next to the semi door with a removable post between so you could take it out and have a big opening if needed? Do you think it is worth putting in a large door like 40-50ft into a heated shop or do you think it would rarely be used because of all the heat loss when it is opened? Doors are poor for heat loss compared to a insulated wall but the question is what is the minimum to have so you can utilize the shop to its full capacity in a cold climate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you put a bigger door in the end do you think you would put it next to the semi door with a removable post between so you could take it out and have a big opening if needed? Do you think it is worth putting in a large door like 40-50ft into a heated shop or do you think it would rarely be used because of all the heat loss when it is opened? Doors are poor for heat loss compared to a insulated wall but the question is what is the minimum to have so you can utilize the shop to its full capacity in a cold climate.
Don't think I would do that. If you had a 50 foot opening in an end wall you would need a massive beam to keep your end wall from sagging. If it ever did sag you'd have trouble then. I like the 16 foot semi door, and lots of other stuff will go in a 16 foot door too. Then put something like a 10 foot wall next to it and then a 30 foot door. Our biggest door is 24 and we've put some big stuff in there.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Sorry I said a 50X22 actually 50X21. I am building a steel building with the structure to support the door. I figured with header sizes not getting any smaller. I am also putting a 27X20 door in the side wall towards one end as well as 18x20 across on other side. Maybe I'm crazy but that is the plan and am stuck with it now.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
A 16 foot door is to small I think, especially if your other door is bigger like 40 feet plus. On a 16 foot door you won't get a big 4wd wheeled tractor through or a combine.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Our shop is 112 feet long and 60 feet wide with 18 foot high walls allowing for 16 foot high doors. We hope that when the hopper extensions and grain tank loading augers are in working position they will still come in the 16 foot high doors.
We have a 20ft wide x 16ft tall and we would drive our 9870s with tip ups in the shop no problem. Our S680s with big 650 duals & folding hoppers won't fit with the extensions up tho.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.