The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy y'all i recently switched over from industrial john deere to farming working on a 6710 with the 6750 updates, the cutterhead is a 48 tooth jd and i am in the process of installing new kooima knives this is all new to me anyone any quick tricks other than just by the book? also big issue the previous mechanic threw a new cutterhead on the chopper and the cutterhead itself is favoring the RH by about 1/4 of an inch? the owner said that they couldnt move the axel any futher because they would lose the shoulder to rest on this is effecting the kooima knives because they are 1/8th of an inch wider than the JD corn knives any one with tips and info it would be more than appreciated
thanks Brandon

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Best piece of advice you will get is throw the kooima knives and bolts in the scrap pile. Go get oem deere parts. The kooima crap will self destruct on you and create mass havoc. Book gives you a good quick way to replace them, should be good to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so essentially everything is by the book then? there are no quick little tricks? and who ever invented the manual for farm deere wow way way more difficult cat, komatsu, deere construction, and even volvo are alot easier to comprehend and not as confusing but like i said this is all new to me ill get adjusted thanks for the info ill keep the kooima issues in mind
Brandon

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Did a set on mine last summer, from what I recall book is real good. Be sure to have shearbar completly forward, may have to clean out in front of it to accomplish that. Use the higher end of the torque range.

If you use that kooima crap you will be replacing the set in season. The bolts will break, knives will break. Cutterhead spins at 12-1300 rpm, broken pieces means **** gets bad real quick. Their sheet metal is good, knives and shearbars are crap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so far everyone i have talked to is against the kooima anything rather... whats the reasoning? they are cheaper than oem and for mint they wear the same as oem now for corn you would notice a difference correct? corn is easier on the machine then mint but i do like the idea of running the shear bar completely out, thats one thing that the book does not really discuss
side note all this info is very helpful because there is only ONE john deere chopper tech in this state and he himself isn't too familiar... thats where this site i have found alot of info but still would like alot more i want to be able to adjust knives, shear bar and manually sharpen in my sleep haha you get the drift

·
Registered
85 Posts
Your chopper should have a round bar that is used to hold the plates above the knives in place. That bar also is a gauge to set the first two outside knives on the drum. After you set them then you need to adjust shearbar to those two knives. Then every knife after that is set to shearbar. Keep in mind some Kooima shearbars were built wider, so when you do back the shearbar up to adjust the clearance on the two guide knives, sometimes it will push the scraper into the smooth roll. You want the smooth roll to turn pretty easy and so you dont want the scraper putting a bind on it. We had trouble with Kooima shearbars and knives in the past when we ran 6000 series. They have a good shearbar now for the 7000 wide body machines that is very durable, but like cptusa says the knives are good for scrap. Also I read where you were noticing that the drum was closer on one side than the other, maybe check your cutterhead bearings. Hope this helps, good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes i looked at the bearings and they look ok however i wont know for until i yank them out in September or so, yes i went by the book and used the bar however i found that the two outer bolts on the tensioner are only grade 5.. along with the washer so we are putting grade 8s the reason for swaping out the bolts is the old strap had indents from the old bolts pushing through the shear bar to the strap nothing big but the washer was the only thing i could see that caused this we are using a oem cutter head and bolts just kooima knives not quite sure whos shear bar

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Does the machine have auto sharpen and shearbar adjustment? If it does you will love it, let it do its thing and give up on the manual sharpening.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Have run kooima knives for a few seasons now, havent noticed any difference from the oem knives, maybe we are just lucky?

You -have- to buy oem knife bolts though, oem are the only ones that will fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the 6710 had auto sharpening however the previous owner sharpened threw a whole entire set of knives and got really irritated so he stripped it off now its a manual however the 6750 still has the auto sharpening and john deere says its up and working we will find out so since my last post everything was going great and getting ready to sharpen put the chain on the shaft and that 1/8th of an inch came back and bit me, come to find out the previous mechanic didnt install the correct sprocket for the application, we are 1/8th off on our chain, drum, and belts, so now trying the find the correct sprocket is proving to be more of a handful, back to the 6750 came back from john deere and did a complete service i did the annual and the 1000 hour so dropping all fluids/ filters. however the previous mechanic again came back and bit me again, none of the machines have ever seen a 1000 hour basic fluid drop so getting the fitting off of the tranny was a pain finally came off in two pieces and now that machine is now sitting waiting for parts along with the 6710 BASIC MAINTENANCE GOES along ways! however talking to washington tractor they inform me that this is not the only machine to snap the fitting so my fix is napa brand grease, its called Lubriplate NO. 105 motor assembly grease now im just putting a film on the two O-rings along with a film on the inside of the fitting(metal-metal no good) so after these deere can get to their feet we will finally be harvesting thank for all the info on this site we are running OEM Drum and bolts and just kooima knives this is my first time being around actual tractors and its fun learning curve
Brandon

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sounds like you're doing all the right things, I wish you luck!

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Sounds perfect to me. Just one question- do you still believe in the myth of a breakdown free chopping season? Ranks up there with the tooth fairy and santa claus! Some days are better than others, best of luck and happy cutting!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts