The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am just getting into wanting to add small scale grain and dry beans to my farm. I am looking to get a combine that can do it all, Self propelled or tow behind. I am looking to do no more then 10-15 acres of beans and 20-25 acres of grains in the long run. I am a millwright and welder by trade so im not afraid of working on older equipment. I have no real preference to brand, what would be your suggestion for a versatile small combine for me.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
You dont say where you are from, but my advice would be to go with something that still has most important new parts readily available and were very popular in their time so there are lots of them around to choose from and lots of used parts as well. If you are somewhere in North America I would say something like a late model Deere 55 square back would be perfect. Many of them were set up for your beans and such from new.

·
Premium Member
5,446 Posts
You could buy an older John deere 6600 or 7700 cheap now and would be a little easier to find parts and a lot bigger than a 55. The bigger cost likley will be a flex header to ciut the beans on the ground. You may want the find a cheaper header first and then a cheap combine to fit it. If you are patient there is a lot of older equiptment around that can be bought reasonably priced. We started farming with a round back 55 for our first harvest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts