The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, looking at 470 w/o header. Noticed the mention of adapter plates when attaching headers. What is involved when mounting newer header to an older series (4xx) machine? 25 -30' flex header.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think they will fit if they fit the 5xx. The elect hyd hook up has to be changed. If the 470 does not have big hyd hoses down by the hook-up then it won't run a hyd reel without adding the pump on the left side of machine right above and behind the front tire.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Do not put a 500 series head on a 400 series combine. You can add a hyd real drive pump and change the coupler on the head and it will hook up and run. But the main problem is the feeder house on the 500 series and 400 series are different, the hp feeder house on 500 series can be angled back and the head is built to accommodate that new attack angle. If you install the new 500 series flex head on the 400 series feeder house the guards tips will be pointed down into the ground. You will not be able to ride on the skid plate in flex mode. Locked up cutting wheat the guard tips will hit the ground before the skid shoe. It will turn your 400 series into a rock picker. There will be no rock problems with a F30 head designed for a 400 series. Put on a F535 designed for a 500 series and your rock damage and dirt intake will be terrible. I would only do this conversion if you plan on replacing the whole feeder house to the new 500 series, and do not go over 30 feet as 400 series combine lift cylinders will not have enough float pressure (springs) for the extra weight. I had two F535s and two F540s on 480s with the original 400 series feeder house. It was an expensive lesson learned, we lost productivity over our f30 heads designed For 400 series. If it were me I would just trade the combine for 500 series and 500 series head, or find a good used f30, it will get costly to properly switch your 400 series over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts