The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here in Central AB we are still behind as much as we were a month ago when you compare against the last 20years of heat units - closer to 11 good days behind last 10 year avg, and getting closer to 10behind even the last 20 year avg.

If you look at SWmans peas that he thinks are 8 days away from harvest, have the same here that are just at end of bloom so think we falling even further behind other areas. With weather pattern I see over next wk or so can very safely say that there no harvest plans in August around here so plenty of time to harvest equipment ready.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Radio station reported Wednesday morning that 6 or so places in Saskatchewan set record lows during the night. Interesting how this all happens on the hottest year ever. The garden here on the farm is actually a good data point for confirmation of what you guys are saying. We are short on heat.

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Looks like last Sunday's frost didn't really help the corn. Interesting that some varieties took it way harder than others. Supposedly got to -2 and I have a half section of this variety here. Just starting to dent...:frown:

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Even though our heat units never will catch up we have managed to get through another full moon without a widespread frost. Would still think most canola out here needs at least one more wk and some as much as 2. Funny enough there was bit of a frost event a couple wks back that did catch low lying areas and noted effects of this particularly on corn - there some that looks like picture above and 3 miles away corn did not even get touched - corn is screwed around here for sure.

I have peas that that are finally ready to start combine tomorrow and believe that about 1 month later than pictures SW man posted from that area so is late - would be at least 2 wks later than "normal".

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Late harvest = High amounts of propane and drying where I live. Days are short and the dew is excessive everyday. Throw a rain a week in there and the dryer works harder and longer. Propane will go up soon I am betting.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Ouch, that sucks. We seemed to miss the killing frost here. I'm wondering if there was so much dew that night that it insulated things maybe? My thermometer was-2, my parents across the road was +1. I had my quad parked right beside my garden and there was frozen dew on the seat, but nothing in the garden got froze. Pretty much had all the crop down except for one quarter of canola, have swathed it since and don't think there was any damage to it. Can't believe we didn't get a frost earlier, for the last two weeks we had a lot of cold night near 1-2 degrees.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Even though our heat units never will catch up we have managed to get through another full moon without a widespread frost. Would still think most canola out here needs at least one more wk and some as much as 2. Funny enough there was bit of a frost event a couple wks back that did catch low lying areas and noted effects of this particularly on corn - there some that looks like picture above and 3 miles away corn did not even get touched - corn is screwed around here for sure.

I have peas that that are finally ready to start combine tomorrow and believe that about 1 month later than pictures SW man posted from that area so is late - would be at least 2 wks later than "normal".
I hope your peas run better then ours will. Ours are so flat on the ground i was just sick thinking of how much dirt we were going to put through the combine. While we were desiccated our peas we saw the real scope of how bad it really was and had AFSC come out. On 420 acres it will not average more the 5-7 bpa. Just not worth putting a combine in there picking up huge amount of earth tag peas and the soggy wet fields to deal with also. Now looking to sell it off as feed or just simply plough it under.

·
Super Moderator
3,063 Posts
I’m beginning to think your area of high OM soil and climatic conditions just doesn’t lend itself to peas Brian.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Out of the 10 years we have grow peas we have had only 3 years that have done well to very well. The other 6 have been a challenge to say the least. We had one storm in july that set the peas fate with peas very heavy rain high winds and hail one night. It's not only me but a hudge area around me has had peas written off. Out by Thorsby area west it's a lot worse with flat flooded out fields that will be next to impossible to harvest without ground freeze up.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I’m beginning to think your area of high OM soil and climatic conditions just doesn’t lend itself to peas Brian.
That's sorry to hear Brian, Hang in their, next year will hopefully be better. . As for what crop works better in a certain place I think when the weather turns on you, nothing usually turns out good. An old farmer told me this week, he said if you cant get the crop in August, get it in October. September is always wet it seems like. I have to give a big shout out to our Paterson grain elevator in Morris. Before all this wet weather settled in they accepted a lot of tough Oats, in the sake of quality. Cargill said the oats had to be 13 % moisture ,end of story, No soup for you I think Our Cargill in morris really sucks. I don't have a dryer yet, but I was able to take the crop off and pay the bills, thanks Paterson. Seems now days the bigger we expand our farms, the more often we get stuck behind the eight ball when the weather turns bad. Last week I had one of my canola grain targets picked but under one condition,they told me the canola had to be in the bin and ready to haul Monday. Are we that short on canola in western Canada, thought their was a record carry over.

·
Registered
880 Posts
That's sorry to hear Brian, Hang in their, next year will hopefully be better. . As for what crop works better in a certain place I think when the weather turns on you, nothing usually turns out good. An old farmer told me this week, he said if you cant get the crop in August, get it in October. September is always wet it seems like. I have to give a big shout out to our Paterson grain elevator in Morris. Before all this wet weather settled in they accepted a lot of tough Oats, in the sake of quality. Cargill said the oats had to be 13 % moisture ,end of story, No soup for you I think Our Cargill in morris really sucks. I don't have a dryer yet, but I was able to take the crop off and pay the bills, thanks Paterson. Seems now days the bigger we expand our farms, the more often we get stuck behind the eight ball when the weather turns bad. Last week I had one of my canola grain targets picked but under one condition,they told me the canola had to be in the bin and ready to haul Monday. Are we that short on canola in western Canada, thought their was a record carry over.
they are wanting to load trains in our area, but the only thing moving seems to be oats, the local elevator couldn't fill their wheat and canola train so they cancelled 1 and split the train between canola and wheat, their special was $9.70 for canola. and -$25 on wheat basis. I thought with those prices you won't fill many trains. lots of farmers have storage and the last few good years lets us store it a little longer.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
The elevators in our area have very little grain on hand which means there is almost no ability to blend poorer or lighter grain.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Ok I was wrong

To much rain is almost as bad as to dry

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I heard a report yesterday or the day before about how much Manitoba crop is off, MarketsFarm maybe? Can't remember the exact numbers they said, but it seemed pretty high to me. Barley was in the 90% range, peas and rye high 90's (that is believable) wheat and canola I think were around 50% or better. I was beginning to think maybe it was just my area not getting stuff off, my guess would be 10-15% of the crop is off in my area, we are close to half done, but we grow a good chunk of our acres to barley, so can get going early, and we combined a lot of days nobody else did. Drove around the Boissevain, Melita area and back by Souris to Minnedosa. Man there is a pile of crop out there yet! How are the guys making out in the south end and RRV east areas? North of the Park? I thought you were wet too? Not sure how the report came up with their estimates, but I think they are way off!

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
I heard a report yesterday or the day before about how much Manitoba crop is off, MarketsFarm maybe? Can't remember the exact numbers they said, but it seemed pretty high to me. Barley was in the 90% range, peas and rye high 90's (that is believable) wheat and canola I think were around 50% or better. I was beginning to think maybe it was just my area not getting stuff off, my guess would be 10-15% of the crop is off in my area, we are close to half done, but we grow a good chunk of our acres to barley, so can get going early, and we combined a lot of days nobody else did. Drove around the Boissevain, Melita area and back by Souris to Minnedosa. Man there is a pile of crop out there yet! How are the guys making out in the south end and RRV east areas? North of the Park? I thought you were wet too? Not sure how the report came up with their estimates, but I think they are way off!
Eastern MB is basically harvested except for the row crops, I was in Altona a couple days ago and they are taking off soybeans already now too! So the numbers are very different from East to West, much bigger crop in the West though.:eek:k:

I can't believe you were in Boissevain and didn't stop by....:53:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It makes me depressed every yr listening to those reports lol. Where I live, we are the last to wrap up usually. It has a lot to do with our area for sure but some is self inflicted as well. Grow fabas or red clover for seed production and canary seed and it seems harvest drags on. Rotate many different crops on our farm and planted 20 acres of tillage radish for seed this yr even, just to have at my disposal. Grew a small bit, 2-3 acres, of hairy vetch as well just to see what its like. Elk like the radish and the vetch that is for sure. Got peas right beside that so a smorgasbord for them.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Eastern MB is basically harvested except for the row crops, I was in Altona a couple days ago and they are taking off soybeans already now too! So the numbers are very different from East to West, much bigger crop in the West though.:eek:k:

I can't believe you were in Boissevain and didn't stop by....:53:

I thought about hitting you up, but it was a spur of the moment trip. Had planned on combining yesterday possibly, but had a light drizzle in the morning so headed out, with hopes of trying it when we got home. Never did try it though, maybe today is the day! Looks pretty wet down in your part of the world.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
It makes me depressed every yr listening to those reports lol. Where I live, we are the last to wrap up usually.

That's the same with us, that's why it seems so strange for us to be ahead of so many others!

·
Registered
971 Posts
I've managed to complete 500 acres total so far.

Have had at least 6 inches of rain if not closer to 8 during harvest. Durum is 75 percent sprouted, lentils in the same range. Only a couple percent in the yellow mustard, but it doesn't appear it will make #1 anymore.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts