The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still learning this 2588 but now we are in Durum and can't get the whitecaps out. I believe key is to get it thrashed first time thru but it just won't do it. Yesterday I bought 4 cover plates and covered ther front two concaves (small wire) but we still had the same amount of white caps and severe rotor loss so we took all but the front one out. We run the rotor up to 1150 and 0 cancave but then we got too many cracks and still white caps. closed cleaning sieve to try to retrn them but plugged returns. Dealer tech spent all yesterday afternoon with us with no success after trying everything.

What concerns me most is why did the cover plates change nothing and increase loss. It is almost like the whitecaps are escaping somewhere and not passing over the concaves.

Common knowledge would say, increase feed rate to get more pressure in rotor but then we just flow grain out the back and the monitor says its all coming from the rotor. The tech actually caught handfuls of grain off the spreader on the left side of the machine and it was all heavy plump kernels.

We were doing a 30' swath yielding about 45 bpa and very dry straw. To load the engine we had to travel 6 mph.

Their next idea is to put the seperator bars back in which we had to remove so the canola would move thru properly.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Wht variety of durum are do you have. We have three different kinds in and they all thresh differently. For example, Kyle durum thrashes very easy, lots of straw though, easy to keep everything to capactiy. AC Navigator thrashes the head easy, but being so short it is hard to keep the machin to capacity. Strongfield durum has relatively short straw, however grain is very difficult to separate from te heads.

We have tried everything you have with our strongfield durum, and still have not got a clean sample. This is true on all three combines, MF, Case and JD. If you do by any chance have this variety, you will have to find a happy medium, as I know of no cure to the whitecap issue in any combine.

BTW, this is the last year for strongfield, Navigator yields more and is much easier to work with.

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
We run TR and CR and the strongfield is threshing pretty good this year. only running front concave covers in the TR and its doing a pretty good job. The CR we have the front 2 sections covered up because I took wires out for peas and have been to lazy to put them back in. That combine is doing an incredible job.

Last year seemed more difficult because everything seemed to burn up in July and it was tough thrashing no matter what variety. Did not find strongfield to be that terrible, but I haven't grown navigator.

The weird part is that nothing changed when you put the cover plates in. Are there any gaps on your cover plates that could let some through?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't know about the 25 series, but I bought a set of hard thresh concave/modules for the front position on the 8010 for Glenn spring wheat and it made a pretty good improvement. They look like a small wire concave same number of wires, just twice as many bars. It came as a kit with cover plates and a couple of covers for the cage. Maybe they don't make them for 2588's.
Have you tried slowing down the vanes in the rotor cage? You lose a deal of capacity but if you have to drive 6mph to load it up anyway it might be an option for you. If you move them to the mid position it should help keep things in the cage longer to get the caps off and get the durum out of the straw. Just a couple of thouhts, good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it's Strongfield. I would grow Navigator like a lot of neighbours too but Viterra is cracking down. This year we got a threatening letter even though we have never grown it. Neighbour said he got a year amnesty if he would deliver to them. Sad part is it is the best sawfly resistance out there. Anyway back to the combine. So, if I decide to compromise on the whitecaps, how do I deal with the rotor loss.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmmm seems odd as we get good samples out of our 2388 in durum strongfield and avonlea. We run three small wire and concave tight rotor 900 fan 1100. We have more trouble in our hard red spring wheat lillian. Never tried cover plates as didnt want to cut capacity. We do run the front of the chaffer just about closed.

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
why is viterra mad at navigator? seems like an odd thing to do since its a registered variety...

Cujo, don't worry about losing capacity, especially with just one concave covered up. You probably will lose more capacity with excess returns to try to clean the grain up as opposed to a cover plate.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Andy, Viterra is cracking down on the brown bag navigator. I assume they want to sell certified seed and have it come back in the IP program. I've heard of the letters, but we don't grow it so I've haven't seen one.

ejb, what I do for strongfield is run the concave fairly tight, 0 to .5 depending on how heavy the crop is, rotor as fast as possible until cracks are excessive but that depends on how heavy the crop is too it seems. I retard the vanes in the concave area, and I have interupter bars in the front concave. I have too many whitecaps as well, so I've ordered a set of Harvest Services cover plates. I'm going to install them on a WW front concave and add more interupter bars to the second concave.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Olblue, we did something similar yesterday and it has helped. We put the cover plates back in under concaves 1 &2 and then retarded the vanes fully over the grates to attempt to reduce the rotor lose. I also removed the center concave and checked the clearance front and back. The rear was about 1/8 lower than the front so adjusted that. The problem I saw there was the interrupter bars are higher than the concave and therefore you can';t get it tight. I was tempted to junk them but didn't. The result was acceptable whitcaps and acceptable rotor loss.

If I get a chance I may retard the concave vanes too but for now the weather is good and we will keep rolling.

PS - Viterra, is just being selfish. Navigator is their variety and you can't get acres unless you have been a SWP suckup for years. Sad, when it has good traits but we can't use it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For getting whitecaps out we shim all our rotors, standard, specialty and afx.... then wind the concave up until it just touches the concaves and back it away 1/2 to 2/3 a turn away and lock the stop bolts there. Remove the interuptor bars before doing this as they upset they leveling and set up. if needed blank off the first concave.
Hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts