The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any weak points I should be aware of when servicing a NH 8080?
I haven't seen it up close yet.
Any input would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Scandinavian.
Weak points NONE..... a great combine for their age.
Get the mercedes engine version and don't put a header that is too large on her, I ran a 17 foot header for a couple of years and that was fine , 20 foot ok if you have the merc' engine but with a out a chopper...
Merc engine make sure she is not blowing oil out of the breather pipe... the centre cyliders will be running hot and if not fixed is a new motor.... strip the motor over the winter if you can and fit new bearings etc and generally have a good lookinside for any gremlins. change the oil regularly. remember to do the ususal slowing down proceedure with turbo motors.. merc turbo's don't like oil starvation.
Keep the filters clean and clean the Radiator often.
Belts and chains...
the feedar house chains and slats must be kept in great condition and at the right tension.
main drum belt and speed variaitor... if you have to strip the variaitor, as you slacken off the large nut, tap the main pully body with a hammer to make sure that the outer pulley and therefor the spring follows you as you slacken the nut.. they can seize on the shaft... so when you take the nut off the rest flies off out of control.. and kills you !!!!!
bubble up auger gearbox: look at, maintain it keep a spare they will break eventually.
Elevator chains keep them at the right tension... or pay the price.
Headers: there is a modification to the headers .. cutting back the auger flights.. APH in the UK are the best source of knowledge for that and anything else 8080.. write to them they are usually pretty helpfull.
Just a note, I never used crop lifters, even in heavily laid wheat and oats, don't set your reel speed too high and watch the header pressure guage, and you should be able to pick a sheet off paper off a concreate floor.... without bending the fingers on the sails.

All the best
Steve T

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Buddy. Well they're not new anymore, but it seems like you get a strong machine and a fair capacity compared to the price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi
They were at the time the best that you could get, untill the TF's arrived, however DONT got for a TF42 ( way underpowered ) the TF46 was and still is awesome, then the Dominator 106 and the early CS' appeared from Class. JD didn't really have anything in Europe same for Massey as the 865 was getting near the end.
I ran 8080's for a while and never had any real problems just as long as you maintain them properly.
TF 46 was very very good... the TF 78 that followed was pretty much a computerised TF46 with a new cab.
Any 8080 questions .. Email APH they are peterborough in the UK and they ran a lot of 8080's in their hire fleet for a good few years.
The 8070 was also a very nice machine.
Good luck
All the best
SteveT

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I run a AF, but since more and more straw is getting baled in my area and the AF has a bad name for straw management, I needed a walkermachine. How do the Twinrotor handle the straw?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Scandinavian
with the TF th reputation is somewhat missleadingm and I gues you are a contractor/custom cutter... however you can bale with a TF... if you send me you Emailaddress I will send you a link to a mod the a farmer did here in the UK to the back of his TF78 in order to spread te swath out a little bit.. I hope that it works .. it came from an artticle that was in the farmers weekly some years ago.
Also
Again speak to / EmailAPH in the UK they also ran vast amounts of TF's and also know how to set them up them to leave a swath that can be baled.
But I know wht you are up against People's mind are sometimes very hard to sway once it is made up.... TF 's leaving unbale-able swath....\MMMMMM

All the best
SteveT

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank's for the work chasing the archives '-)
How does the TF handle/cope with tough/green straw, will it be a rough, plugging hammering, ride or what?
I first now realized that it has a cylinder/concave like a walkermachine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts