The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We cannot get any clutches to engage on our variable rate air cart. There is power to the cart. The alternator is functional and all visible fuses are in tact. Are there any hidden fuses to have a look for? Anyone else ever had this issue?

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
Not trying to be Captain Obvious

I assume the newer tanks still have the three switches tucked sort of under the frame?
Should have given you an "open or shorted switch" message on the display if that was it though. Hmm.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
You mentioned clutches not engaging on the variable rate cart, I wasn't aware that there are any clutches on the hydraulic/electric driven style cart ?.

So the presumption is since the fan is running, that the hydraulic motors are receiving oil and your battery is charged up and connections are good on the battery, voltage is good also at the battery ( 14.5 or so ). Also that your darned sure the case drain hose is hooked up and not kinked somewhere, or that the coupler ball is stuck and not letting oil past back to the tractors tank ?. When you do the manual over ride with the test button which is the same thing one would do to get product to flow out for testing if runs are plugged or doing a calibration, none of the three rollers will turn with their respective switches on ? ( the rollers are not jammed up with product or have seized bearings by any chance ? )

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are right. Not necessarily a clutch per say but I assume it is an electrical signal to the hydraulics that engages them. I am assuming it is a hidden fuse somewhere because it just quit working midfield. Initially assumed battery or relay but both of these have been changed to no avail. I am pretty sure it is going to be one of those simple fixes that we are just overlooking.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I know ours would be using a speed sensor that is run off of one of the large cart wheels but having said that, if one is sitting still and running product through by having the respective meter roll switches on and holding in the button next to that switch bank, with the fan hydraulics engaged which means the hydraulic oil flow is also going to the metering drive orbit motors and the alternator is turning as well, the meters should turn.

Because it stopped dead ( and if the meters have been checked that they are able to turn freely ) I would think its either electrical or hydraulic. I wish I knew it all about our own unit but this is just explaining the basics. Again, just be sure that the case drain is attached at all points and that it never disconnected at the tractor or between cart and tool if its a tow behind tank.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are attempting to make the meters run by using the calibrate button beside the meter switches. Fan is running so this should indicate all hydraulics are functional. Should be able to press cal switch and everything should turn but nothing does. Meter switches are turned on at both the tank and monitor.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
The reason I mentioned that case drain, its because its not something that would jump out at a person. You see, the hydraulic oil flowing to the fan returns through the other large high pressure hose BUT the three small hydraulic assist motors return oil is ALL flowed through the case drain hose. Of course if the case drain was not flowing properly, at some point the seal in the fan motor would let go as its case drain goes into that same low pressure line.

Its more probable that its an electrical glitch.

Have you dropped the manifold and then turned each feed roll by hand ( pair of plyers on the roll pin on the drive end ) to make sure they are all turning free ?. You could also try pulling all three motors off the respective rollers and see if they will turn with zero load ... for what its worth.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Good you brought that up, yes there is one filter or should say ours is designed that way with an inline filter assembly that routes over to the small hydraulic motors and it can be disassembled and inspected. They say to change it as I could see steel particles jamming up inside the sintered bronze filter element but I find it hard to believe it all came to a sudden stop from that .. no harm in checking though.

If it appears like electricity is getting to the motors, just to confirm oil is flowing through those motors I would be tempted to take the coupler end off the hose at the end where it plugs into the tractor. Then with the hose coupler off and a person standing there holding it pointed into a spotlessly clean five gallon pail ( if you want to save the oil to put back into the hydraulic tank ), start up the tractor and engage the fan hydraulic circuit and observe the flow of oil coming out of that case drain hose. It will flow almost like a garden hose, a lot of oil comes out of that hose, way more then a person realizes. If hardly any flow is present, then you know something is going wrong with the flow system valve on the cart or a coupler along the line is holding the oil flow up.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Is this something that just happened when you were using drill?? check harness pins where drill connect to tractor are they clean?? don't have a pin that backed out?? all pins should be flush with one another, other possible issue is software or a module for communication, would check simple things first, If you can't find anything will need dealer to hook up laptop to see if you have a communication problem, Scott.

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
Perhaps these newer tanks are different but the old ones could run the meters off of the auger circuit, no need to run the fan, must be the same now so as to cal meters.
Have you tried that?
This tank new to you?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will check hydraulic flow but I am pretty sure that is not the problem. I have already checked the inline filter - it was clean as a whistle. All three meters turn easily. We have hooked an unhooked the wiring harness about 20 times and all pins are in tact. I guess it is time to call thr dealer and get a laptop hooked up.

Had this tank for five years now - had a couple electrical/wiring/communication errors before. Just to maybe help others - Once a simple tank sensor went haywire and made a mess of the entire system. Rate controller quit and started throwing error messages. Even took the dealer a bit of head scratching with his laptop for a day to find this issue. Strange how a bin level sensor can affect the whole system.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Right, I don't know why I wasn't thinking of the cal position for the hydraulic valve block but then one looses the assistance of the alternator charging the battery.

Odds are its some electrical glitch, sensor or connection, monitor or the computer box on the cart. I am guessing no error codes came up either. Glad you pointed out the bin level indicator issue you had in the past as I had some issues after washing the unit out ... dammed if you do, dammed if you don't with washing because of those sonar level units at the top of the tanks ( maybe I should use shower caps on them :rolleyes: ) but I have one to replace if not two. I had no clue it would mess with the rate control so now I know I'll have to make sure they are functioning.

I'd say at this point you are probably resigned to calling a dealer who hopefully knows his stuff and can do some testing and get it going, certainly can't get any seeding done this way !.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.