The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know of a way to speed the auger up on a P1050 cart? Running max oil flow and yet it still seems to turn too slow. We have an older Concord cart with an 8 inch auger and it will load faster than the NH 10 inch because it turns so much faster. It's not like this thing is wore out. Only really has 3 seasons on it.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Have you owned it since new and has had similar auger performance all along and being used on the same tractor ?.

We bought a used unit last year that doesn't have all that many acres on it and since the tractor we have isn't the latest high pressure high flow unit ( its a 8870 JD ), I rigged it up at the tractor outlets so that two outlets are in use when running the auger. The other aspect that I found was that the stop pin sticking out of the flow control on the auger was bent over some and so when the control handle on the auger was moved to auger forward, it was moving too far and going past the point of the fastest auger performance. So I would try that to begin with, moving that control on the auger to see if there is a "sweet spot" that runs faster then where it hits the stop.

Also it is possible that the orbit motor may have an issue or its at the tractor end, the tractor hydraulics or simply a pioneer coupler end that is malfunctioning and not allowing the full flow through itself.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We haven't owned it since new.
I have checked for a "sweet spot" on the valve control but it has very distinctive detents so I doubt it is that.
We have it on a STX 450 but I tried it on a brand new Deere last year to see. If it made any difference and it seemed the same.
We do have to run flow controls on tractor wide open in order to achieve max fan speed (can't over speed) but was told that was normal for those machines.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
They must have changed the valve on the auger right after ours then as I've never felt any detents, it just hits a mechanical stop in either forward or reverse. Tractor wise, that doesn't sound like the issue either but I will say that the auger seems to turn way slower on this cart then it does on our old flexicoil with the 8" auger but I expected a 10" to turn slower although a bit better then what I've experienced as well. If you just started using the auger and its sat for months and had fert dust on it, that always takes a bit to get the auger shined up, actually it probably never shines up as the rust pits into it so deep, the joys of fertilizer !.

·
Registered
493 Posts
simply a pioneer coupler end that is malfunctioning and not allowing the full flow through itself.
I would change the hydraulic tips on the auger circuit, cheap and easy to do. I had a number of bad tips on my New Holland cart, it drove me crazy for a while until I figured out it was the tips causing problems. My auger worked fine then all of a sudden it would barely turn, changed tips and away it went.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would change the hydraulic tips on the auger circuit, cheap and easy to do. I had a number of bad tips on my New Holland cart, it drove me crazy for a while until I figured out it was the tips causing problems. My auger worked fine then all of a sudden it would barely turn, changed tips and away it went.
Are you talking about the tips at the tractor or between cart and drill or both? There are tips available for the return that are zero resistance. JD uses these on the return circuit on their vac planters. I wonder if something like that would help.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Are you talking about the tips at the tractor or between cart and drill or both? There are tips available for the return that are zero resistance. JD uses these on the return circuit on their vac planters. I wonder if something like that would help.
Could be any of the tips causing problems or not. I had so many problems with my tips that I ended up removing the some of the hydraulic couplers between the cart and drill and just joined the hoses together. I don't think you need the zero resistance tips. Again I would just try putting all new tips on and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Speaking of the male tips, a neighbor was mentioning he was having grief with brands other then the genuine Pioneer, in fact he had one spit its guts out and luckily it jammed into an elbow fitting or some place where he found it. Unfortunately some of this cheap or not so cheap to buy, but a cheap brand, it can bite a guy in the butt.

I don't know if that's true but I was told the poppet style male end may have a bit more flow over the ball style. About all you can do is replace one and try .. keep repeating until you've replaced all the male couplers, or upsize them if possible.

What speed can you get out of your fan, mind you it would depend where the air baffle flaps are set for air flow but just to get an idea of your fan speed might indicate how well the oil is flowing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would check out the hydraulic hoses under the frame of your cart. I have had a similar experience with a 1720 and 3350 tank where they have at factory ,tighten the crap out of the hold downs that keep the hoses in place ,that its crushed the inside of the hose and caused a restriction and therefore less rpm to the orbit motor.
Gary.

·
Ken Adams
1,355 Posts
Lots of good ideas, but unless you check flow and pressures ( with a flow rater) at tractor and compare to available flow and pressure at auger, you are just trying to shoot the fox in chicken coup in the dark!!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
we run inch lines for our drill (cart fan and auger) and use 3/4 couplers on tractor that sped it up a fair bit
How do you do 3/4 inch couplers on the tractor? Do you remove the factory ones?
I think bigger couplers makes a lot of sense since that seems to be a distinct restriction point.

We can get just over 5000 rpm on the fan with baffles open.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We ended up plumbing a line with a hand valve from the pressure side of the power beyond port and teeing it into the pressure side of hose for the cart. First day of seeding today and we are achieving close to double the capacity out of the auger.
Just an option for anyone else having the same problem.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
We have had Flexi/NH carts for almost 10 years now and we never needed 3/4" couplers on the tractor. One of our carts auger always seemed slower, more sluggish like it would want to stall, right from factory. In the end we put a new motor on the auger and it was like brand new, over 80bus/min.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.