The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new member sort of (was on here years ago) I recently purchased a bourgault 3310 and it has the full setup for NH3 to the MRB we will change boots to also apply dry fert the boots but i am curious if i should try NH3 or not. We have never used it and its sort of died out in our area most drils are 1 pas dry or dry with liquid but this would allow more acres between fills and slightly cheaper fertilizer. Or is the extra hassle not worth saving 1 or 2 fills per day? the drill is a 75ft 3310 with 6550 tank so will be filling quite often. invite any and all input i do worry slightly about NH3 safety and the reliablilty of the co op to supply a new customer Thanks

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
The gassing off is pretty annoying with the disks. Like carry a gas mask in the tractor for the wrong conditions annoying. Hard to beat for capacity though and you need to drop the disks. Nh3 that concentrated has to be 3"+ We run them 4" deep and on a 76' you know it when you drop them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
We don't run NH3 but our neighbors with bordering land do, they had a huge issue with gassing off and switched to the Atom jet scraper and it made a significant difference , they also said the way they route the anhydrous also helped with the disk not freezing and collecting soil in stickier conditions. That's nasty stuff so if you can avoid it gassing you out it makes good sense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mrbs look to be set almost all the way in the ground 10in spacing 75ft its gunna be ahard pull. Hope my quadtrac can do it is nh3 still significantly cheaper than urea?? I pay $485/mt for urea right now.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
We’re paying 49 cents for Nh3 next spring so prices are near the same except juice is delivered to the drill and don’t have to handle extra product.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hello new member sort of (was on here years ago) I recently purchased a bourgault 3310 and it has the full setup for NH3 to the MRB we will change boots to also apply dry fert the boots but i am curious if i should try NH3 or not. We have never used it and its sort of died out in our area most drils are 1 pas dry or dry with liquid but this would allow more acres between fills and slightly cheaper fertilizer. Or is the extra hassle not worth saving 1 or 2 fills per day? the drill is a 75ft 3310 with 6550 tank so will be filling quite often. invite any and all input i do worry slightly about NH3 safety and the reliablilty of the co op to supply a new customer Thanks
I have been using nh3 while seeding for over 10 years with different drills but never a bourgault. Here are a few of the things I have learned and you need to consider. I started out with an old dick John cold flow system and gassing was an issue. I now have a pressurized system. Gassing and frozen tips are not a problem. When I went to the pressurized system I also added sectional control on the nh3 system which helped save costs. My air tank is pre sectional control. Some of my biggest pluses are more acre on a smaller air cart, less cost for a bigger air tank or liquid wagon, no trucking or additional man power. The other benefit is a full load of nh3 with tank is my lightest option. With variable rate I get 100 ac on a tank. Thing to consider are can I match a nh3 tank size to get the rates I want and be empty when my air cart is empty or you will be making extra stops to refill. Probably the biggest concern is can you get delivery when you need it so that the drill is not sitting. Hope this helps you make a decision

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been using nh3 while seeding for over 10 years with different drills but never a bourgault. Here are a few of the things I have learned and you need to consider. I started out with an old dick John cold flow system and gassing was an issue. I now have a pressurized system. Gassing and frozen tips are not a problem. When I went to the pressurized system I also added sectional control on the nh3 system which helped save costs. My air tank is pre sectional control. Some of my biggest pluses are more acre on a smaller air cart, less cost for a bigger air tank or liquid wagon, no trucking or additional man power. The other benefit is a full load of nh3 with tank is my lightest option. With variable rate I get 100 ac on a tank. Thing to consider are can I match a nh3 tank size to get the rates I want and be empty when my air cart is empty or you will be making extra stops to refill. Probably the biggest concern is can you get delivery when you need it so that the drill is not sitting. Hope this helps you make a decision

this has a pump to pressurize it and 5 sections with a master shut off for all sections. I assume if i had the rate controller (it donest have 1) tied to my gps i could make it sectional control fairly easy and still have a master shut off for when banders are outta the ground or have to come out quick (like in mud) I mostly like the idea of 120ac fills and lightest way to gain product capacity however running banders deep is gunna take some pulling too. I have spoke with a retailer a good friend uses and they guarentee almost certainly no hold ups on there end and the friend said they were very good to time with him. a 6 tonne tank plus some urea in the air drill gives me 125 ac a fill on canola with 130-45-0-20 product

·
Registered
263 Posts
this has a pump to pressurize it and 5 sections with a master shut off for all sections. I assume if i had the rate controller (it donest have 1) tied to my gps i could make it sectional control fairly easy and still have a master shut off for when banders are outta the ground or have to come out quick (like in mud) I mostly like the idea of 120ac fills and lightest way to gain product capacity however running banders deep is gunna take some pulling too. I have spoke with a retailer a good friend uses and they guarentee almost certainly no hold ups on there end and the friend said they were very good to time with him. a 6 tonne tank plus some urea in the air drill gives me 125 ac a fill on canola with 130-45-0-20 product
The first system did not have a pump so there was some freezing issues. Not bad but in some conditions it made a wider trench. With mid row I think you would have to go pressurized. I run nh3 and dry on the same shank with no problem. With a pressurized system it usually runs over 100 psi so it almost injects it in the soil so i haven’t found I didn’t need to go very deep. They come with a master switch and a rate control valve and depending on your gps you may need a go between box to make everything work. You can run without vr or sectional but once you have it you probably would not go without it. With my jd gps I need to have a go between box to make it work. One thing I like about the system is it turns on and off on the headlands itself. Also I have different on off times so I do not get overlapping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts