The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey- did any of you see the '84 model N6 that was on tractorhouse for about a week?... Ive been getting on here weekly for the last several years trying to find some more really nice low hour N6's... didnt get on for a few weeks and saw that one posted last friday night. Called them Tuesday after memorial day as soon as they open the doors to the dealership and got the expected answer of "oh we already sold that one"... It was a series 3 with 1180 separator hours for $5,500 :eek:!! Unbelievable.. you could tell by the pics that it had been in a barn, even the galvanize was still shiny... The only others that i know of listed for sale that are even remotely in the same condition are the ones at Smiths equipment in AB, canada... wish I knew where there was another one that nice for sale..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the picture of one of them, are there any other pics located anywhere?

·
Registered
548 Posts
sundsbakauctions.com at the top of the sale bill It says"click here for more pictures" about 30 pictures of items on the sale.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
we have a shedded (until we bought it 2 years ago) 81 N6. I take it you are after at least a 82-83, and preferably a 84-85?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I would prefer '84-'85 models. They are becoming very hard to find in nice condition. Im sure there are still some out there in some farmers shed that are in mint cond., but not for sale.... I am not against purchasing an R6 or R60, or 7 series for that matter as they are pretty much the same machine..But the N's are usually quite a bit cheaper. Trying to stick with these since i have a huge inventory of parts and have been into every corner of them. There are also several seed companies around here that have had good luck with R52's and R55's, but I like having my large capacity machines...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
we have a shedded 82 N7 at the KS place that needs a header clutch... sat out one winter IIRC when we moved places.

we have some pretty machines in Idaho, as they age nicely with the colder weather, but the rocks make them anything but pristine. ever seen a bulged cage? :)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Good luck finding one, not trying to be a smart arse, these ladies have been run hard, N-6 and N-7 were way ahead of there time, SOOOO many updates, would look at newer machines, Scott.

·
Registered
619 Posts
My new 1985 N6 looks like brand new compared to those pic's. Mine has lots of hours but but it sure looks better than that one on Big Iron. May be that it's in fact a good runner tho and looks can sure enough be deceiving and it may be the best one living.
Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It does look a bit rough, but thats what happens when they put these things out to pasture. 1000 engine hours and just putting it in the weeds is idiotic as well as economically suicidal. Although I do see 300k+ machines sitting outside all year long in my part of the country. Im sure this gleaner looks better after sittin outside for 20-30 years when compared to 9770 that has never seen in inside of a shop during the winter months 20 years from now. With the advancements of vinyl tech in the last 5 years I'd just put a vinyl wrap that matches the new S8's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I'm still running my same ol N6's this year...Been running them pretty solid since middle of June now. Surprisingly haven't had too many break downs... It feels kinda weird to run all day and have nothing go wrong...( dont get me wrong Ive had my days) ..The Bahia seed crop in FL is nothing to brag about this year, we been getting rain just about everyday- literally. The seed production, yield, and quality suffer a lot in this weather. I'm still looking for some upgrades, I talked to the owner at Smith's equip. sales in Alberta, CA. He sent me some pics of several N6's, N7's and R60's that are fairy low hour machines. I know the N6's used to look like new when they were parked out there about 6-8 years ago. The more I study machines, I would just about rather go with an N7 or R70. Having that extra horsepower would sure come in handy. Does the 516 Allis blow smoke like the 426? Its always easy to see where the machines are at when they suck up a wad of grass.. i think they may kill a few birds when that governor surges! My reversers haven't functioned in years- If im lucky sometimes I can put the cylinder in low gear and then poor the throttle to just after engaged the clutch-- and occasionally you end up worse off then when you started when you do that..Fun days..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And I agree Redline- 1000 hour machines sitting out to rot is ridiculous. Theres one or two machines that have been on the tractorhouse classifieds for years now, they look worse than my rusted up machines.. no way i'd buy one of those. That N7 at Pentagon farm center is super nice, but the price they have on it is gonna keep it from leaving their lot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I know this is an old thread- but just figured I'd update it.. we ultimately ended up purchasing 2 low hour R62's through Mayer equipment in Ohio.. 2000 and 2001 model. Ran them last fall and winter , wow. What a difference stepping into these machines. So nice and smooth, and sooo much more hp, and unbeleavably so much quieter... I will say there are a few things I really liked about the old N6's - such as the lightning responsiveness of the hydraulics and steering... but these things are like getting into a brand new pick up ... the pros outweigh the cons by a long shot. I'm really not used to getting into a machine and running all day with little or no breakdowns... the 7000 series heads (25' wide) suck in Bahia, the old 300 series actually worked better. Going to try some orbit reel kits this season. A couple of the other custom harvesters here in FL have been using some shelbourne stripper headers and say they are the ticket. They are all running R52-55's. 7000's work like A champ in aeschynomene (deer vetch) , I could def see a huge difference between these and the N's when we started harvesting that.. they don't grunt and grown near as much if at all, but I do miss the occasional smoke puffs the N6's gave....I'll still argue - they were the hotrods of their day !
Our timing couldnt have better , about the time we got serious about getting some more machines the used equipment market had dropped by 15-20%.. as far as the N6's.... they are now permanently assigned to "combine rides" at our corn maze we do in October...

·
Registered
439 Posts
I skipped N and early R series and went straight from L to 96 R62. Glad I never had to mess them. I know some of them are good machines but the 2 series are way more simple. And better looking imo.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Saw this picture yesterday. I think somebody has finally found a use for these old combines!:biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good on you on stepping up to the R62s. I was in the same boat not long ago and was tempted by some cheap N7s but got a good deal on an R72 at auction and it has worked out pretty well. Kinda sad seeing all the old N series go by the way side but so goes progress. If anyone else is looking for N6s these have been listed for a while, almost positive they are the same ones in the youtube vid because of the fans on the windshields. Between the 2 N6s and pallets of parts I'm pretty sure you could keep one running for quite some time.
https://kpr.craigslist.org/grd/6054686427.html

·
Registered
597 Posts
I skipped N and early R series and went straight from L to 96 R62. Glad I never had to mess them. I know some of them are good machines but the 2 series are way more simple. And better looking imo.
We have both a Series 3 N-6 and a R-62. Like both of them, each have their good and bad points. As for looks I kind of lean toward the N-6 and its lower profile . I do like the Cummins engine although the N-6 engine has been trouble free too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
N6

Hate to see the N6's rotting away.. they were once considered the kings of their day, now the only folks running them are either small farmers or crazy haha. How do you upload more than 10 pics on here? I'd like to get some on here of mine so you can see the platforms and seats I have added to them to give rides.. combines can be used for more than just harvesting .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts