The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a Flexi-coil 6000 on 7.5" spacing, single shoot, and are looking ahead to fertilizing next year. We have a few ideas, but would like to know what others have had the most success with as far as adding enough nitrogen for cereals and flax, since we can't put more than 20 lbs N with the seed. Would it be best to broadcast 46-0-0 before seeding (we have done this in the past, but with a hoe drill that moved a lot more dirt), or does it make sense to apply 28-0-0 with our sprayer before and possibly several weeks after emergence, or is there another better option? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the past we have done about 70 lbs N total, so we are looking to do at least that again. It's a disc drill so the fertilizer would only be spread ~1" per row if that's what you're getting at (haven't used the drill yet so don't know for sure). We haven't really looked into ESN yet, but it is an option we will have to look into and compare prices. The only problem is that we don't have a huge air cart, so the less fertilizer we have to put through it the better.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
ESN was about $100/mt more (last year) than 46-0-0. So cost wise it would be a little less than $5/acre more.. The fuel for a second pass would be more than $5. (20lbs 46-0-0, 50lbs esn) .

It's a pain, to keep stopping and filling.. But a bigger pain in my mind to do another pass..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure why I didn't catch this before, but ESN isn't an option for us with the seed, at least not this year. We've recently ordered power rich fertilizer as our starter for cereals (we have used it for lentils and peas the last few years), and since our cart is only a two tank set up, we won't be able to add anything else to the seed. If spreading urea ahead of the seeder is still effective despite lower incorporation from the disc drill, we will probably end up doing that. Ideally I wouldn't mind dribbling liquid 28-0-0 with the seeder and pulling a liquid tank, but that won't happen this spring yet. Like I said, it's good to see what others have had success with too. Is a product like agrotain worth it to keep from losing nitrogen like they claim happens?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.