The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I think you just need to look at like we do with chemicals in spraying.. Get a mobile treater and treat the seed in the field, they are looking at the chemicals being used in concentrations and site contamination..
Not surprising but I wouldn't get worked up about it yet.. They are likely to change these rules or never enforce them.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I guess we have to see what a designated product turns out to be. I imagine this is stemming from the neonic/bee debate. But will most likely move product wide at some point.

I'm not worried about it since I don't treat and have never seen a benefit to it in my trials. But still it does show the way the industry is going. There are many more harmful products that we use than seed treatment. Some treatments don't even have warning labels.

When is my accredited retailer going to come pour my Matador, Bromoxynil or Headline into my tank for me? They are far more dangerous to me or the environment than most seed treatment. I don't think it is in Croplife Canada's best interest to make more producers consider converting to organic with burdensome regulation!

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Seems like it is for handling and warehousing chemicals, at seed treatment facilities. if they force only retailers to apply it, there would be line ups miles long to get treated and completely shut down agriculture in Canada. i can't see that happening any time soon.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
"I'm not worried about it since I don't treat and have never seen a benefit to it in my trials "

Most guys just trust the retailer that they must know best. After all the data shows at least a 10 bus increase. "Its a no brainer." However my 2014 trials with cruiser max vibrance showed a -5 yield reduction on carberry wheat. I used 8 passes alternating treated and non treated. Not to mention a good pair of jeans ruined.

The brainy way to do it would be to get a test of your soil just prior to planting. If you dont have the bugs that the stuff controls then leave it in the jug.

I will try again in 15 but I will be asking for the smallest possible container size available.

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
I don't like seeing this stuff from any country. Just means the line has moved up. I see it as another move to get us to buy all of our seed. Lots of money in seed. I better start trials of no seed treat.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I downloaded the pdf and it includes on farm treatment setups. What it doesn't include is on the go treaters. I've sent an email and eagerly await the reply.

It also seems it will be for new products only - but it sure is easy to stop producing an existing product and rename it as 'new'. I believe its called innovation in the crop life group of companies.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
email i've sent

I've downloaded the pdf on accreditation however it fails to have a category for 'on-the-go' seed treatment done directly on the air seeder thru a metered device. No grain is stored and any treated grain is immediately put in the ground.

Do these systems need accreditation and will operators with these treatment units be exempt from the designated list of seed treatments and have full access to those products?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Obviously this isn't fact -- but I checked with local chemical dealer and chemical reps and everyone feels this is for commercial or custom applicators and not for individual farmers. Who knows?????? Probably will be part of bill 18C!

·
Registered
285 Posts
my read is that read on this is that to buy seed treatment and apply it you have to have a accredited storage and accredited treating system along with a application license even as a farmer/end user buy Jan 01/2017, or you will no longer be able to purchase seed treatment. my questions are if I no longer can do this will the seed grower I pick up seed from, will they comply or leave it to the seed plants to do this. will the seed plant have the capacity to do all of this extra treating. how many will quit using seed treatment. If I clean seed in the winter I will have to have designated bins ,augers and truck so that they do not contaminate elevator deliveries or have to wash out every time I clean a different variety of grain. lastly how easy of a step is this from have to having warehousing standards for us to purchase chemicals.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Total BS. It might be time to start talking to your MLAs and MPs to maybe get some legislation to protect the end user/farmer from this. This may be the first step to on farm regulated chem storage, or not being able to buy/apply your own crop protection products of any type.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Don't have an issue with having to get a course or training. No different than a first aid course or driving course. The issue is the approved storage and treating system. Look at what it costs the Chem dealers to maintain their warehouses and insurance. On the end user level those costs are going to be through the roof.

·
Registered
193 Posts
This standard comes into full effect for 2017. I am not a fan of it because:
- Crop Life Canada is nothing more than a façade organization that was created for the sole purpose of appeasing the non-farming multitudes with an on-line presence, showing them "how good we (chem co’s.) are at being stewards of the environment". It is comprised of all the major chemical companies. (They do have one purpose I do support entirely, and that is educating producers to combat the “GMO”, “frankenfood”, “Gluten is the devil” nonsense with the public, but that is not part of this conversation.)
- This group who had absolutely no authority to do anything all of a sudden comes on board (in Canada only) and creates their own self-commissioned entity that has the power to determine whether or not we as producers have met their criteria to "be eligible" to be given a registration number enabling us to purchase the new chemistries designated commercial application only after 2017. Bear in mind this initiative has nothing to do with ANYTHING other than seed treatment chemistry. When asked about the higher risk products like insecticides (Matador, Decis, etc.) which have a much lower LD50 than seed treatments typically, they were not concerned with those products being under this initiative in the least. As a sidenote, most seed treatments don’t even HAVE an LD50 rating, giving an indication of their potential toxicity to mammals, yet NEED to be regulated as directed by this group.
- This same initiative was tried in the US, but the ASTA basically told them to go pound sand, pushed back and now it is just a “Guideline”, not enforceable like it will be up here. ref- http://seed-treatment-guide.com/ Basically, the American Seed Trade Association had more b**ls to stand up to this group than we did in Canada.
- The farmer will pay the bill. When I asked Russel Hurst, Executive Director who heads up this initiative, how is this going to be paid- upgrades to the farmer’s facility to meet compliance, which are estimated anywhere from $5000.00 to $100,000.00+, he replied that the facility (farmer) will be responsible for all costs. When asked who pays for the continual inspections and audits to ensure compliance is maintained, he replied that the facility (farmer) will bear all costs for inspection. Since that time, they have bowed to pressure and have agreed to give the initial assessment free.
I am of the firm opinion that if this is industry driven, and industry patrolled, and industry enforced, then dammit it should be industry funded to reach compliance and subsequent inspections.
Stop trying to drive this initiative to make your products appear safer in the public eye on the farmer’s dollar!
We need to keep pushing back. I have been advocating this for the past 2 years, yet there seems to be apathy about this amongst farmers and especially seedgrowers. If we don’t, then we need to quit whining about the measures they will have implemented by 2017. MANY points have been relaxed since they first rolled out the initial protocols, because of pushing back. It CAN be done.
Make no mistake; I as a pedigreed seed producer am all for safety, protecting the environment and doing my part as a producer and corporate citizen. I applaud many of these initiatives they have in the protocols. I just feel that the bill to make this happen should be paid for in its entirety by the industry that is trying so hard to keep their image clean in the public eye.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.