The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious how everyones winter wheat is turning out. Not very good around here. If you were able to seed early enough last fall it looks ok. If not, start reseeding. Reseeded almost 1/2 mine now and deciding when I should stop. I can see the order I seeded the fields, just gets worse and worse.

·
Registered
209 Posts
We're going to reseed most, maybe all, of ours. Very little good looking WW in this area. Too much subzero weather and too little snow cover last winter.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My winter wheat seems to be getting worse. Good moisture, 70-75deg. Perfect... Wondering if the Olympus I sprayed last fall is not getting along well. I must say, I have found no cheat or oats in the fields it was sprayed. The first field I seeded looks great. Do have neighbors finding cut worms, lots of them. I haven't found any yet.

·
Registered
913 Posts
All of ours will be reseeded if we can get too it, insurance adjuster was out today. Neighbors said they will be reseeding all but 80 acres of theirs as well. The only good looking winter wheat is along the edge of tree rows and ditches. Just not enough snow cover and too cold here as well last winter.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
It sucks up here too. We have one field that looks good others are very patchy. Only real good winter wheat we have is above the oil pipelines where the soil stayed warmer all winter.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Winter wheat is not bad in my part of Southern Alberta. Most fields have hollows that drowned out because of warm weather in February think, not because of the cold. A few fields in the area were spotty enough that the entire thing was reseeded.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The insurance adjuster was here yesterday. Best field was estimated at 2 bu/ac, worst one at 1.1. I was in the sprayer before the adjuster's pickup was out of sight.

It will take 3, 3 1/2 days to reseed; our crop insurance deadline for SW is the 31st. Since it looks like spring has finally arrived we should be done on time.

Mark

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Been hauling grain from southern alberta to mid Montana... It seams other than a few very few fields of winter wheat, there is 99 percent of other fields that don't look good at all, lots of dead spots threw out the fields and lots of guys reseeding them, feel for the guys hard work and cost associated

Was shocked today how many guys are still seeding and how many aces are left... Hope we don't have a early frost

·
Registered
255 Posts
whatley posse
What part of Idaho. Our son worked near American Falls in 2003, was a very dry year.
We spent a month around there had a great time but man those hills you can keep.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am off to reseed my last bit. After looking at this junk long enough I had to ask a second opinion from the land lord. If it wasn't for him I would have taken the air seeder to the field. I will just hit spots with a 10ft drill. Will have plenty of bare spots in this field to bug me for the next few years.

·
Registered
217 Posts
We still have the old headers. And I just took delivery on a new honeybee. South east Idaho. Most of the winter wheat is irrigated. But there's a fair amount of dryland also

·
Registered
119 Posts
My email is [email protected] if you would care to send some pics and include price of head on trailer suitable to make a 1,000 mile trip. I have more questions, but not important if the price and condition don't make grade.
Thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ours looks great!!! Grass green & lush. Was seeded early into chemi follow land & looked real good going into winter. Too bad don't have more than 400ac. Neighbour seeded his late & never germinated. I think he's reseeding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts