The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I am looking strongly at buying a R55 or 65. I am not familiar with the grain head or corn head model numbers that would fit these machines. Which model would be the best fit for the machines? I am thinking 20 to 25 ft. or so. I am just trying to figure out what kind of money it would take to get the heads after the purchase. Any help from you guys would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You would want a 30' with the R65. I'm assuming both combines would have lateral tilt, so that would limit you somewhat to newer headers. You can modify a 800 or 8000 head to work with lateral tilt. Most 8200 heads will already be configured for lateral tilt. Keep in mind you can modify an axial header to go on a transverse machine. You will probably want a 3000 corn head, I don't believe the older huggers could accomodate lateral tilt.

If you shop auctions, a decent 30' flex head will run around 15k. A 65 will handle a 8 row corn head nicely. An 8 row 3000 will run more towards 25k. I saw one go at auction for 9k this summer though, should have bought it although I already have one.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
You would want a 30' with the R65. I'm assuming both combines would have lateral tilt, so that would limit you somewhat to newer headers. You can modify a 800 or 8000 head to work with lateral tilt. Most 8200 heads will already be configured for lateral tilt. Keep in mind you can modify an axial header to go on a transverse machine. You will probably want a 3000 corn head, I don't believe the older huggers could accomodate lateral tilt.

If you shop auctions, a decent 30' flex head will run around 15k. A 65 will handle a 8 row corn head nicely. An 8 row 3000 will run more towards 25k. I saw one go at auction for 9k this summer though, should have bought it although I already have one.
I would question putting a axial head on a transverse. When you put a flight extension on a 8200 axial auger the flighting will end on the same side of auger tube not 180 degrees from each other like a factory transverse auger.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You can pick up an 8200 auger head in good shape for cheap. We switched to a draper and it took me almost a year to get rid of ours. I think I wound up getting 11K for it and it was an 09 model in great shape. A 30ft in heavy wheat makes our R65 rumble pretty good. There is nothing wrong with a 25 on one. We run an 8 row corn head with it. Im not sure on the price of a corn head but I would suggest something newer with poly snouts a 3000 would fit the bill nicely

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You can run headers as old as the 600's as well as the old huggers, you just have to remove the lateral tilt which is about an hour job to do it. I had to take the lateral tilt off my 65 to cut peas. the price difference alone between a dynaflex or even an 8200 and a 600 is pretty wide. Had a chance to get a dynaflex yesterday, but passed on it and got a 600 instead for 1/4 the money. 3$ corn and 9$ beans tends to make me think twice about spending alot of $$ on used equipment. Having talked to the owner that ran a dynaflex and a 600 side by side he said he cant tell much of a difference between the two other than a huge investment on his part when he purchased the dynaflex.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.