The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The short chain that runs the return elevator on a 2188 came off today and with no cover over it (a cost cutting measure as the old 1480 had one), got wrapped up on the jackshaft spocket and the "slinging" chain broke the side shield latch mechanism plus same as destroyed the latch mechanisim holder that is part of the side shield that is spot welded to the shield. I was PISSED! Only good thing to come out of this was it didn't do any damage to the side shield as it opened up with the gas strut and got out of the way.

Is there supposed to be a cover over that chain and if not, anyone fabercated a "safety" mechanism to prevent all of this damage? It looks like there isn't room for a cover but I'll do whatever it takes so this doesn't happen again. In case you can't tell, I'm very particular about my combine!

Thanks for letting me vent.....I feel better now!

·
Registered
88 Posts
One thing that probably should be included in the tips section is to replace both that chain and the long one that runs up to drive the bin fill auger/clean grain elevator every year. We put a new one of each on every winter and that prevents any problems. From what I understand the long one can tear even more stuff up if it breaks, but we haven't had to find out thus far.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After yesterday, there is a new chain on the return drive and I will look into putting on a new long chain before fall harvest. Did learn from a fella and seen a picture on another forum of a partial chain shield that is on his 2188. If that had been on mine yesterday, maybe the damage wouldn't have been so great. Thanks for the tip!

You getting any wheat harvested? I will get done this weekend.......cutting mostly weeds now. I'm sure if I turned my combine inside out,........all I would need is decals and it would be a John Deere...LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts