The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a R75 with a cummins m11 engine has 3,000 or more hours on it. Shelling corn and it dies like theres a fuel delivery issue, ive drained tank changed filters 4 different times and blew through the fuel lines. Its throwing a ecm internal hardware error code 111. When it does this it will idle fine when i turn the throttle up to 2200 rpms where its suppose to run she dies. Throws these fits intermittently. Ive checked what i could wiring harness, sensor plugs, nothing is out of the ordinary. Anybody have any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Yes they are repairable. Actually the only way to get one might be a rebuilt. It was when the one in our N14 quit a couple years ago.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it too late to save it?
Dont know hes suppose to be putting one on today. I really dont know if its going to work but worth a try. His computer said it has threw the code so many times it maxed itself out so he wants to do this before ecm fix. Once it goes past mechanical fixes and into computers and electronic stuff this stuff goes wayyy over my head

·
Registered
154 Posts
Generally ECM are a combination of processor running software, sensor inputs, and driver outputs. normally, the drivers work the hardest and are what fail. these are just chips without software [like a solid state relay] that drive solenoids, etc. Normally repairable...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Generally ECM are a combination of processor running software, sensor inputs, and driver outputs. normally, the drivers work the hardest and are what fail. these are just chips without software [like a solid state relay] that drive solenoids, etc. Normally repairable...
Well hes gonna try this and if it doesnt work im going to ecm rebuild i have talked to a guy that says he can do it. This tech seems pretty determined to solve my problem we are rained out so i have a little time to see what hes got.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its crazy when it starts throwing these fits it idles great will run all days idling and when i turn the throttle up at about 2000 rpms it acts like i cut the power on the engine and will not start until i cut the key off and try it again.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Might help.
All I know is when the truck shop wanted to change ecm on my caps 8.3 they wanted to use the cummins rebuilt, said their luck with ebay ones hit and miss some good some terrible.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry to hear that. Just remind yourself it's cheaper than trading combines and should be good when done.
Sorry to hear that. Just remind yourself it's cheaper than trading combines and should be good when done.
yeah that is true. Every year we start theres a problem that seems so out of ordinary that is unconquerable. We were due for a expensive and a week a troubleshooting breakdown

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had similar problems with that engine in a Navistar truck and it turned out to be the coolant was just above the low level sensor and would periodically “slosh” or something and kill the engine. Switch the key off and back on and it would pick right back up. Be worth a try.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts