The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After losing all the low areas in June we are getting close to losing the high areas as well. Only 10mm since July 5th. The good land is holding on pretty well so far but anything light is burning up bad. They are calling for showers for Tuesday and Wednesday but if we miss those or they don't add up to much its gonna be ugly by next week. Some crops are far enough along it won't hurt too much but others are not. Hope everyone is having a better year than me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just swathed a bunch of fall rye that will be ready to combine in a couple of days. That should make it rain. Last rain we saw was the one that flooded all my river flats and now we are very dry. No roots. Sandy ground suffering bad. Sunflowers in full flower but lots are wilting. Some spring wheat ready to cut in a week but will be poor. This could get ugly.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I got an inch in the last week- 1/4 Inch, than a half , and another 1/4 last night/today .... Needed every drop- crops have improved- after the lousy spring my acres deserve something to go right-
Beans will need another good rain- canola has come full circle, still a lot of holes- but vastly improved

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hate to say I told you so...but in the second post of this thread: http://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/23-crop-production/158634-sick-rain.html ....I told you so.;)

All kidding aside, I hope you(and me) get some rain. I am enjoying getting some work done with all this sunny weather though!:)
I am thinking this is the year the tile will pay back big dividends. Should have much better root systems then the untiled. Time will tell.

Just like 2011 IMO although the early crops are going to do pretty good either way.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I have lots of water available for everybody if we could get those pipelines started. Speaking of which, the 34 inch Enbridge Line 3 past here from Wisconsin to Hardisty Alberta is going to be decommissioned.

It would be a great asset to pump tile and ponds into in the spring and run pivots off of in the summer.

Line 3 Replacement Program (Canada) - Enbridge Inc.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I've been saying for the last 3 weeks that we need a rain. Following the 4" dump on the end of June, the statement that we needed rain would get me a lot of dirty looks around here! Now I've noticed others starting to say that we need a rain....

Andrew

·
Registered
868 Posts
I need sunshine and sunshine, wheat looks all good but nothing in the heads yet, canola is due to late frost very late ,some stilll 60 % bloom .
Canola is average or below average but the race is on.
Looked at some fababeans some fields are 5ft tall and lots of flowers , wonder how tall they can get ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Haystack is absolutely right. We need a three government water management program, I would rather my tax dollar went to some infastructure to manage, move, store and use excessive water rather than keep paying for flood relief every second year. Crops here could use one more rain just to finish filling what's there. Cereals average canola average or below.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.