The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
prev soybean crop were sprayed pre-emerge last spring with roundup and conquest (pursuit and sencor). just no tilled oats in that field yesterday; i mixed up the two that were pre and post emerge sprayed last year. palmface. will the oats even grow at all or am i looking at a replant? They were seeded a little heavier trying to work the kinks out of my new drill if that would make a difference at all

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Well at least it was pre-emerge so a bit of extra time. I mean sencor too....where’s the double face palm?
Your probably going to be alright. It’ll come down to your soil and the conditions to break it down.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well my guide to weed control only said 10mon restriction for the sencor, it was mainly the pursuit i was loosing it over, 22mon according to my book. Have to wait and see i guess what happens. had planned to give my chemical guy a call tomorrow

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you had decent rainfall last year will help as well higher OM I think helps. Have seeded oats after Clearfield canola years back that had pursuit and it was ok. That was on real wet years. Oats maybe a bit shorter. Could definitely tell where the sprayer overlapped the year before the oats were shorter. With your Conquest I don't think its full rate Pursuit so that will help.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I perferr Odyssey instead of pursuit. It is less damaging to next years invigour canola or oats. A neighbour had to reseed all his invigor canola a few years back because he forgot he put pursuit on his beans the year before.

I use odyssey at 80% rate in beans only for control of round up resistant canola. I have a number of times seeded invigor canola after odyssey. Maybe I was lucky or our wet clay soils in the red river valley help the seeding restrictions. What is your reason to use pursuit over odyssey?

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Very interesting about the 80% Odyssey rate. We've changed our plans several times over the years about planting Canola when we remembered that Odyssey went down the year before.

·
Registered
740 Posts
We seed oats on pea stubble that is always sprayed full rate with Odyssey Ultra. Have never had an issue. Have also seeded canola after as well, no issues. Only time I would be really concerned is if most was really lacking. Soil OM levels will buffer the higher they are and biological activity in you soil will also make a huge difference (especially if manures etc are used in a rotation)...from our experience. OM levels range from 6-10%

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, never heard of Odyssey before. It not even listed in my weed control guide. My guess is its not available in Ontario. But youve got me curious now, i'll have to ask my chemical guy when i give him a call this morning.

We arent in a dry area here, though we were definitely lacking in the snow this past winter. OM is not nearly as high as you guys, 4-6% range is about normal for around here depending where you are

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
If my memory is right, Odyssey contains the max rate we would use in a year, which is 1/3 of 85ml. Just going off of memory. Looks like Conquest is a lot higher rate.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i got about the same reply out my guy: "mostly likely it'll be ok, but you'll know for sure in about a month. It'll just turn red and that'll be that." so i guess wait and see.

Forgot to ask him about the odyssey

·
Registered
654 Posts
Odyssey is baby **** compared to pursuit.
Yes you are right joe ,I agree totally, but it depends on your situation and next years situation . I dont grow peas or clearfield canola so for me its an emergency control of round up ready canola in soybeans. Works great, year in and year out and keeps my rotation open year over year. The lower rate i use at 80 % is key thou , only for volunteer canola.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
My local seed grower gets upset when someone uses a reduced rate of odyssey or pursuit. Builds resistance to easily. Years ago guys were using 1/3 of a 1/3 rate of pursuit in burn off. Now there is lots of resistance to that.

·
Registered
654 Posts
My local seed grower gets upset when someone uses a reduced rate of odyssey or pursuit. Builds resistance to easily. Years ago guys were using 1/3 of a 1/3 rate of pursuit in burn off. Now there is lots of resistance to that.
1/2 rate of pursuit with glyphosate in continuous beans made the volunteer rr canola resistant by the third year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts