The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how much N are guys putting down on there oats been growing Camden might switch some fields was planning on growing wheat on. banded 130# N this fall will they stand or go flat? This year put 90# down stood perfect and averaged over 160BPA with the price of oats it's hard to stick with the wheat canola rotation. Just don't want to be scraping them off the ground

·
Registered
721 Posts
Have not grown Camden, but really think it depends on what sort of moisture/growing conditions you combine with that. Basis what you had this past yr would think you would be real close to tipping point if you had similar conditions. Seeding rate can also influence lodging.

·
Registered
364 Posts
130 lbs N would make me nervous. Where are you at? One of the keys this year to keeping a lot of crop standing with high N rates was the dry spring. Drought is natures plant growth regulator. I'd think with moisture you would be at high risk of them going down. PGR's, fungicide and potash would be the key to keeping them standing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I’d hate to say how much I put on my Camden’s. Certainly nothing close to 130#. Funny how some places like Manitoba need 100# to grow a half decent oat crop. If we put on more than 60# you better cross your fingers. However, had some grass breaking that got a regular rate plus fungicide and they were 20 bushels better than canola stubble with same agronomics. Camden’s will stand provided you fungicide them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
We target 80-90lb N. I've been told higher N rates will change the seed (can't remember how exactly) and risk losing milling grade.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I believe I have heard to high of N rates can reduce test weight. If anything will stand with high N it would be Camden. Best standing oat I have raised. Having said that a neighbor stated in Europe they want their oats to lodge to reduce shatter loss in wind. So he went all out on Hayden oats and they laid over but not completely flat. They were his best yield at 200 bu/acre. Rest went 150. Can’t verify any of that.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
We been growing Camden for a few years now, 70N is about as much N that I would put with Camden. I must preferred Morgan for stand ability and yield but millers are shying away from Morgan.

·
Registered
310 Posts
We straight cut our oats this year. Will never swath again if I can help it. Swathed a bit so my friend could help with his machine. Light and day easier threshing straight cutting.

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
I have left mine stand for several years now, still running pulltype combines so they get swathed in front of the combine. As others said, way better than swathing prior days ahead when it works out.
Something to keep in mind, depending on variety and how they are standing, I have seen a couple inches of wet snow with a wind flatten them corner to corner...IMO its a gamble leaving them stand when it starts getting into late fall with questionable weather. I got burnt enough times since I started leaving them stand, I now only grow them on the home block of land, wherein worst case scenario I can turn the cows in to clean up what the swather had to leave behind, or as in this year, the entire crop which was somewhat still standing but got swathed in a hurry only hours before the heavy snows came and stayed.

·
Registered
266 Posts
New Farmer we straight-cut ours. Tough going in the draws where it stayed green. I might have swathed some of it but never got a good window in the forecast.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’d hate to say how much I put on my Camden’s. Certainly nothing close to 130#. Funny how some places like Manitoba need 100# to grow a half decent oat crop. If we put on more than 60# you better cross your fingers. However, had some grass breaking that got a regular rate plus fungicide and they were 20 bushels better than canola stubble with same agronomics. Camden’s will stand provided you fungicide them.
. So what kind of yields are you getting with 60 pounds.of N I'm sure.if we.put 60 on wouldn't break 105 or so we have.been.seeing no less than 130 or.so with 80-90 just wondering how.much more.uoeld.with 130 they.will.be rolled and have a good flex.head

·
Registered
871 Posts
. So what kind of yields are you getting with 60 pounds.of N I'm sure.if we.put 60 on wouldn't break 105 or so we have.been.seeing no less than 130 or.so with 80-90 just wondering how.much more.uoeld.with 130 they.will.be rolled and have a good flex.head
I've never put on more than 75, avg would approx 68, . Average yield would be close to 140, with a high of 155 and low of 130 over the past decade. 110 would be a disastrous. Though I've never gotten the 200 that neighbours have supposedly been getting.

·
Registered
310 Posts
This year my average was 140. Did a fungicide application of Trivapro and seed treatment. It lodged where the sprayer missed. To be honest I used closer to 50# n. Bushel weight 44 to 48lbs Avery.
My soil is a Cutknife clay loam with 5-7% om and slightly solonetzic. In these hills seldom is more than 80# is used by anyone. Level ground gets more perhaps.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This year my average was 140. Did a fungicide application of Trivapro and seed treatment. It lodged where the sprayer missed. To be honest I used closer to 50# n. Bushel weight 44 to 48lbs Avery.
My soil is a Cutknife clay loam with 5-7% om and slightly solonetzic. In these hills seldom is more than 80# is used by anyone. Level ground gets more perhaps.

Wow, our om runs more 1.5-2%.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wow, our om runs more 1.5-2%.
I’d like to know what Om was before guys broke it. Heavy summerfallow didn’t do it any favours. It used to pull hard until we were in zero tillage for a few years. Even so with reasonable om it can dry out and bake hard if left bare. Think the solonetzic thing has something to do with it.

·
Premium Member
7,979 Posts
Wondering how much N are guys putting down on there oats been growing Camden might switch some fields was planning on growing wheat on. banded 130# N this fall will they stand or go flat? This year put 90# down stood perfect and averaged over 160BPA with the price of oats it's hard to stick with the wheat canola rotation. Just don't want to be scraping them off the ground
So did the Camden straw stay green for you? I've been putting anywhere from 105# to 160# on(105# was on pea stubble). The time I grew Camden the straw would not cure until we swathed it, even though the grain was ready. No problem with light weight but without growth regulator it tends to lean over...ha ha

Maybe I am putting too much down if guys can pull off 140 with half of what I use. Had some pretty good crops though, summit has been the best for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So did the Camden straw stay green for you? I've been putting anywhere from 105# to 160# on(105# was on pea stubble). The time I grew Camden the straw would not cure until we swathed it, even though the grain was ready. No problem with light weight but without growth regulator it tends to lean over...ha ha

Maybe I am putting too much down if guys can pull off 140 with half of what I use. Had some pretty good crops though, summit has been the best for me.

. Yeah it stays green not as bad this year as previous years I guess cause no moisture but yield was great no fungicide no potash just 30 phos 90 N I think I'll try it will just make sure to roll field. You guys who are fungiciding what timing are you spraying the oats

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
My experience is the higher N rates keep the test weight up but not necessarily yield, Ive been doing 70-110lbs and seem to hit a wall at 180bpa, my highest N rates hit over 300g test weight.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts