The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
This is all news to me. First I had heard of good harvest herbicide. It says same active as Liberty, (almost, Glufosinate Ammonia, vs. Ammonium in the Liberty). But the label only indicates preharvest uses, not for LL canola. Is this a legal restriction? The Kijiji ad seems to indicate it can be used.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I was going to ask about that stuff yesterday as I saw it on Kijiji. A few things make me skeptical.

The ad I saw is gone today but it originally said the following:
CANOLA SEED .. High Quality .. B Please Contact

BULK SEED .. CANOLA .. Common #1 Canola $7.00 Per Lb 1000 & 2000 Lb Totes Hybrid .. Pod Shatter Resistant .. Open Pollinated First Generation #1 Grade Canola High Quality Glufosinate Ammonium Resistant Selling Fast !!! Delivered !!!!!!!

Something being both Open Pollinated and a Hybrid?

·
Registered
458 Posts
finally after 7 year we have off patent canola available and YOU CAN USE YOUR OWN SEED! spray with harvest FNA or liberty/bayer--we also have off patent soybean ---our goal is every seed on our farm we bread ourselves.--we ask for voluntary payment $1 lb for seed you use to keep this research going Ernest Andersen 306-267-4815 ph or tex [email protected]

·
Registered
761 Posts
finally after 7 year we have off patent canola available and YOU CAN USE YOUR OWN SEED! spray with harvest FNA or liberty/bayer--we also have off patent soybean ---our goal is every seed on our farm we bread ourselves.--we ask for voluntary payment $1 lb for seed you use to keep this research going Ernest Andersen 306-267-4815 ph or tex [email protected]
Makar did you talk to him?
If this is the same stuff as friend enquired on couple weeks ago?
It is not registered yet. And that concerns me big time because no one will buy it.
And if someone does buy it and it is not a registered variety well lets just say I don't have near enough liability insurance for that scenario.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I just talked to the guy, they're doing their own breeding. He has not registered it yet, said they're thinking of a name, takes money and a couple years time. Said he sells it as common number 1...??
I'm not experienced enough to really make any observations...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sounds like the same guy.
I will be all for it as soon as it is registered.
The advice we got from the local elevator was if it has a certified seed tag they will buy it.
If not NO.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I was under the impression that Harvest was not available in Canada and that you can't buy Liberty if you didn't buy LL seed.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'd much rather pay this guy royalties being a tiny business, That I know will take the money and do something proper with it. There's not a lot of transparency when it comes to the government mandated wheat royalty wizardry they're trying to shove down our throats.....

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
I talked to the plant breeder guy from the government that has his name and phone number listed in the royalty posts. He told me that it is completley legal to grow a deregistered variety when the patent is up. The chemical companies want you to believe it is illegal so you buy their latest and greatest. The chemical companies try deregister varieties long before the patent is up so there is no brown bqg seed available. I hope this guy keep developing and marketing canola varieties to bring the cost of seed down. We need more competition. If his variety is not a high bred you could keep your own seed as well and still have the same performance.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think i just read lately deregistered canola can only make a 3cr. People had to stop brown bagging old clearfield.

·
Registered
458 Posts
DON’T GROW DE-REGISTERED VARIETIES
APRIL 5, 2017 - ISSUE 4
Clearfield variety 46A76 has been de-registered by its registering company. Registration will be cancelled as of August 1, 2017, which means 46A76 crops harvested after that date cannot be legally delivered into the grain system in Canada. For this reason, growers should not grow 46A76 this year.

Growers with 46A76 currently in on-farm storage are encouraged to sell it before August 1.

Under the Seeds Act and Regulations, common seed of 46A76 is also considered a de-registered variety after that date.

These rules apply to any de-registered canola variety. From canolawatch.org.

·
Registered
982 Posts
How does a variety get derigistered? Sounds like the company that owns the patent can just get it derigistered maybe?

I was assured this would not happen with wheat if their royalty ideas get passed.

Would sure like a $7 pound option in canola even better if I could save seed.

Would sure like to keep the $7 bushel seed option in wheat as well.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Any deliveries of unregistered varieties are required by The Canada Grain Act to be assigned the lowest grade available for that crop.. From albertacanola.com

·
Registered
458 Posts
How does a variety get derigistered? Sounds like the company that owns the patent can just get it derigistered maybe?

I was assured this would not happen with wheat if their royalty ideas get passed.

Would sure like a $7 pound option in canola even better if I could save seed.

Would sure like to keep the $7 bushel seed option in wheat as well.
Clearfield variety 46A76 has been de-registered by its registering company. Registration will be cancelled as of August 1, 2017, which means 46A76 crops harvested after that date cannot be legally delivered into the grain system in Canada. For this reason, growers should not grow 46A76 this year.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The whole point is that you can keep your own seed and reseed next year. Same guys who brought rr1 beans out off patent. Registration is pending.

Plenty of places to sell canola that is not an elevator.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts