The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking lately about adding some additional office space onto our existing shop somehow. It's a 40x60 steel building with a (very) small office in one corner, and I'm interested in either putting an addition onto that corner of the shop, or just putting up a garage package building right beside and have it all separate. I'm sure I'm not the first to toy with either of these ideas, what have people done and what worked/didn't work? Thanks

·
Registered
569 Posts
Been thinking lately about adding some additional office space onto our existing shop somehow. It's a 40x60 steel building with a (very) small office in one corner, and I'm interested in either putting an addition onto that corner of the shop, or just putting up a garage package building right beside and have it all separate. I'm sure I'm not the first to toy with either of these ideas, what have people done and what worked/didn't work? Thanks
For the cost I would just add a shed similar to this https://shedsunlimited.net/stories/alicias-backyard-design-studio-for-swoon-sewing-patterns just so you dont loose shop space and should be able to be completed quickly

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
We have been considering doing the same thing in the next year or so. Ours will be built on the outside of the shop, as it's a 40x40, so don't want to lose any room. Thinking of adding on to the south east corner and putting a door through into the shop. We also have a 12x12 shed already built that might get moved to the shop in the mean time until we add on. The worst part about having an office right inside the shop, aside from losing space, is the dust and noise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I totally agree with the noise and mess of the shop, and was considering the exact same with running a door between office and shop. Any thoughts on heating/cooling the addition, figured just electric heat of some sort since it'll likely only be 3 - 400 square feet. Was hoping to do the whole thing ourselves (aside from pouring slab) to save some money but I'm not sure I carry the right skillset.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I totally agree with the noise and mess of the shop, and was considering the exact same with running a door between office and shop. Any thoughts on heating/cooling the addition, figured just electric heat of some sort since it'll likely only be 3 - 400 square feet. Was hoping to do the whole thing ourselves (aside from pouring slab) to save some money but I'm not sure I carry the right skillset.

Do you have or are you adding a plumbing/bathroom in the office?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
No I don't think so, we've got a bathroom in the shop already. I assume that would also rack costs up a fair bit too.
Yes it would, but I did have a suggestion to help minamize shop dirt/mud.

A second door sure aids in separating
shop dirt/debris and the storage is a nice place for items you may not want stored in the shop (monitors, misc supplies). If you were putting in a wash room you could place the hall in between the storage and wash, making the office in the back...or any version of the layout.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Have seen where a camp office skid shack was used. Just put where it was wanted and hook in power and water. Have seen ones with 2 offices, washroom/laundry room. Usually have AC and a propane heater.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it would, but I did have a suggestion to help minamize shop dirt/mud.

A second door sure aids in separating
shop dirt/debris and the storage is a nice place for items you may not want stored in the shop (monitors, misc supplies). If you were putting in a wash room you could place the hall in between the storage and wash, making the office in the back...or any version of the layout.
I do like the idea of a whole room in between, would be a good place for the fridge and coffee maker.

Have seen where a camp office skid shack was used. Just put where it was wanted and hook in power and water. Have seen ones with 2 offices, washroom/laundry room. Usually have AC and a propane heater.
This is what my dad would do if it were all up to him, but honestly I just don't want to look of an atco trailer front and centre in the yard. The self-contained idea is great though. Has anyone ever seen one of these re-sheeted to blend in with existing buildings?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re-sheet with matching tin and put a leanto roof off the existing shop, if you were careful it wouldn’t look like an atco shack at all. Could be the more expensive option if you don’t need the plumbing though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts