The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to replace a set of bald 20.8 38 radials with metric radials. The only other metrics I have on the farm are Michelin 650 38's on the Steiger Panther. Those convinced me that it is worth the extra money to put radials on any other field tractor.

The MFWD that needs tires now is a very secondary feild tractor and likely old enough to never wear out another set of tires.

I've seen mostly good reviews of the BKT tires, and have used some of their bias front tractor and implement tires with mostly good results.

Never seen a Marcher tire up close, these are what Uncle Wiener sells direct from China, not sure if they support them at all, haven't inquired yet. $1295 each. Haven't priced the Michelins lately, but believe they are over $2000.

AGRICULTURE TIRES & FORESTRY - Uncle Wiener's Wholesale

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I was wondering about that uncle Weiner too. I have several bkt tires along with one neighbor. Both of us are happy so far with them. I will give them a true weight test when I start picking bales. Ended up putting two new ones on the mfwd for the price of one Firestone.

·
Registered
185 Posts
We put 2 new BKT on the inside rear on a 7250 magnum last fall. It mostly pulls our manure tanker and they held up fine to that and they seem not to wear that badly on the road. Still have some 520/70 r42 or whatever on some of the lugs. Tbey do grip and pull very well too. There are getting to be more BKT tire on neighbours tractors as well. Mostly cause it is cheaper for the tire guts to stock the BKTs as opposed to the FS or goodyears. We also have a pair of 600/65 r34 Petlas on a 1270 case that replaced 23.1×34. But that tractor doesn't do a whole lot anymore. Used tires @ 80% for it were $1000 each and the Petlas were $1300 each plus there was warranty.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Why anyone would buy tires from a liquidation outlet, basically an over-sized garage sale, is beyond me. Who installs them? Where is support or warranty when you need it? To each their own, I guess.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
We put a set of bkt tires on the front of th 4450 2 years ago. They have been standing up good, but they sure wear out a lot faster than the name brand ones. We do a fair bit of road travel, but still not sure if it's cheaper in the end or not? Definitely going to have to replace them cause of tread wear before side walls give out. Maybe if your not roading the unit much they would be better, seams like softer rubber.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We went to Uncle Weiner in Nisku a while back ,,it sure looked like a fly by night operation
truth be told, my expectations of a company who names themselves that are exceedingly low, not expecting a flashy showroom and tons of after sales support, those costs all have to be added to the price of the product they sell. I'm sure the same products and same prices are available to any of us directly through alibaba.

But if I can get a set of 4 tires for less than half of a brand name, and they last half as long without issues, and by then the tractor is also finished it's active life then I come out ahead.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
truth be told, my expectations of a company who names themselves that are exceedingly low, not expecting a flashy showroom and tons of after sales support, those costs all have to be added to the price of the product they sell. I'm sure the same products and same prices are available to any of us directly through alibaba.

But if I can get a set of 4 tires for less than half of a brand name, and they last half as long without issues, and by then the tractor is also finished it's active life then I come out ahead.
What did you decide and how were the results?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went with Michelins. Have enough tire troubles without asking for really expensive tire troubles with cheap rears. Got a decent deal on the Michelins during their Agritrade promotion.

The original axle mount pressed steel duals were almost touching the inside tires, which were tight against the fenders. Which results in a giant ball of mud. So I cut the centers out of the duals, offset them as far as possible, now have nearly a foot between duals, and it goes through anything.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Michelins. Have enough tire troubles without asking for really expensive tire troubles with cheap rears. Got a decent deal on the Michelins during their Agritrade promotion.
Uhm well that totally reminds me of these Alliance tires Ron Glubis was selling from strongfield at one time a few years back.
I only bought 2 Alliance tires for duals.
Put Firestone Deep tread radials on the inside.
Look at them now 13 years later.
Firestones are still very good.
Alliance are going to complete $hit.

·
Registered
149 Posts
We are putting Michelins on our 9170 Case IH Steiger, price wise they were the same as FS/Goodyear. We are having some issue getting them to seat the bead all the way, any sugestions?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We are putting Michelins on our 9170 Case IH Steiger, price wise they were the same as FS/Goodyear. We are having some issue getting them to seat the bead all the way, any sugestions?
More ether.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I've no personal experience mounting tractor tires but watching the tire shop install the large tractor tires its liberal use of murphys soap scooped by hand straight out of the pail and smeared onto both the rim where the bead would slide and on the tire itself. Just wondered if you had a lack of lubrication and the tire hung up as a result but you've built up plenty of air pressure, or are you having air flying out of the bead in spots so it won't pressure up ?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Seating beads=lots of lube. Are you mounting tubeless? I have raised and lowered the jack to try and move the tire around also whacked the tire with a hammer while inflating

·
Registered
149 Posts
I tried airing them up further and driving the tractor on a curb but that didn't work. No tubes, I'm not sure on the lube, my brother was there when they mounted them and he said they used a lot, but I'm thinking they didn't, guess they will get to come and remount them for free since they didn't get em the first time.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
You mean they mounted the tires and aired them up and never got the bead to seat? Or did they just mount them and you took them home to air them up?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts