The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I give the country to the north of Michigan a hard time occasionally, but today our thoughts and prayers are with you guys. This was (another) senseless attack by Islamic terrorists., this time in Ottawa.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
it was bound to happen, it could have been worse, kind of makes me sad that a soldier blood lays on a war memorial. It is a reality check, so many in Canada have no idea how bad others have it in other parts of the world.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
sadly the dude that did it was as white as me, born and bread in Canada. Could have been a lot worse

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I guess, after whipping out the CF-18's to show them how big they are, and seeing how fast they can go, the foe headed for a place where most of the targets are old and slow. They don't even need a passport or have to afford a plane ticket anymore.

I have a suspicion that the gold mace that the old Sargent is carrying may actually be a rocket propelled grenade. It looks like he has a pointy sharp thing too!

It's pretty sad that Canada has been drawn into this by the fairy tale of the Arab Spring and regime changes. :(

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
A quote that keeps coming to mind when thinking of this incident. “But there is no question that this happened because there is someone who feels completely excluded. Completely at war with innocents. At war with a society. And our approach has to be, where do those tensions come from?”. I honestly fear for Canada's future.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I heard this yesterday when I was workin on my combine in the shop. Even though it wasnt on my soil, it still enrages me. My fiance grew up in Regina and is VERY proud of it and it shook her up pretty bad. So far from our news outlets it looks like ya are calling spade a spade. Unlike us down here who go out of our way to call these painfully obvious acts of war workplace violence. Now if we can just keep our political machine from taking over the narrative. Thoughts and prayers go with to the families of the slain and all Canadians.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
This is a version of events inside the house, copied from The Globe and Mail. Several members made their own pointy sharp things. Maybe old?, but still resourceful !!

(copy)
Stephen Harper spent about 15 minutes hidden in a Parliament Hill closet after a gunman stormed Centre Block where he and the rest of the Conservative caucus were guarded by MPs who’d fashioned deadly spears out of flagpoles, sources say.

After they heard gunfire outside their meeting room door Wednesday, Members of Parliament snapped close to 15 flagpoles to make sharp weapons.

Some positioned themselves on risers that flanked doors, ready to attack an assailant.

“There were 15 flags up at caucus and all but two were taken down,” one MP recalled.

“These guys were up there holding these spears ready to impale anyone who came in,” the source said.

“It was that or get mowed down,” the Member of Parliament said of the threat posed by a gunman who was ultimately shot dead by Parliament Hill security.

Mr. Harper, meanwhile, had been whisked into a closet in the Centre Block room shortly after the gunfights outside began.

There were more than 150 Tory MPs stuck in this caucus room during the ordeal.

Many MPs thought the prime minister had managed to get out of the room and didn’t know he was sequestered in what amounted to a cubby hole.

“Someone knew there was a closet there so they stuck him in there,” the source said.

“So for a lot of people it was as though he was gone,” the MP said.

The prime minister’s RCMP security detail ultimately rescued him and whisked him out of the building.

It was a surprise to many Conservatives when Mr. Harper emerged from his hiding place to exit Parliament Hill.

“So for a lot of people he was gone and then when he came out it was a surprise.”

MPs kept their flagpole weapons as souvenirs.

“Everyone was taking their spears home,” said the MP. “I’m going to frame mine.”

Ottawa attack: MPs fashioned spears while Harper whisked into closet - The Globe and Mail

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.