The Combine Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I am more worried about the people that tend to come out of the wood work and may question why Kevin Vickers shot to kill or why the gunman was not subdued with a tazer or some other crap because hey, the gunman must be mentally ill so society should be trying to protect such a misguided hapless boy. Around here if a policeman shoots an armed suspect one of the things that always results is an investigation and accusations from the bleeding heart crowd. Maybe an incident like this will drive home the point that you face an officer with a weapon of any kind on your body and you are fair game. I am glad to hear there was no messing around, the officer had an opportunity and acted, any slight hestitation because of some concern an officer may have that he is about to use excessive force and things could get really bad fast. Just the other day a local rcmp was run down by a suv while on a road putting another guy under arrest while responding to a complaint of a party and he is in intensive care, **** like that pisses me off - the rcmp know who they are looking for and I hope the guy goes away for a long time. Maybe the suv driver will accidentally get killed during the arrest when the rcmp catch up with him, one can only hope. Another trial we dont need.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I'm sure we will be looking at another thirty million or so to beef up security and renovate Parliament hill now...

·
Registered
390 Posts
The house of commons is not a very secure place. About 12 years ago back in my free and single days we visited the parliament buildings in the evening during a snowstorm. We parked down by the river and then walked up the steps to center block. Being cold and all we opened the main doors to the house of Commons and marched in stomping our boots out on the green carpet. The only thing stopping us was one unarmed guard who in true Canadian fashion politely informed us that we had not entered in the visitors entrance.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I wonder if these terrorists feel safe doing this sort of thing where they are less likely to bump into someone else with a gun. The first shooting was probably a decoy to draw police away. I bet he was surprised the Sargent at arms had a gun.

He probably would not have got that far in the US.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I wonder if these terrorists feel safe doing this sort of thing where they are less likely to bump into someone else with a gun. The first shooting was probably a decoy to draw police away. I bet he was surprised the Sargent at arms had a gun.

He probably would not have got that far in the US.
Dont bet on that, we have gun free zones. We all know a terrorist would not enter a gun free zone.

Its not just you Canadians that are upset by this, way to close to home. Any red blooded American should be ready to back Canada 100%. The buck stops here, time to kick some ass, lets roll.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
For those who didn't see this cartoon from a newspaper out East, this speaks more than words ever could, not gonna lie but it made me shed a couple tears .

That is a outstanding cartoon, not sure who drew it but I have not seen anything that captures it better. The Patricia's (Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regiment) from western Canada were attached to my unit in Afghanistan, tremendous group of men and great Soldiers. For any terrorists that think Canada is a soft target there is military history from D-day to Afghanistan that should make them think twice.

·
Super Moderator
3,213 Posts
That is a outstanding cartoon, not sure who drew it but I have not seen anything that captures it better.
Indeed, well done.

Reminds me of when after the Challenger explosion in '86 Sue Dewar of Sun Media simply had a cartoon of the moon shedding a tear.

Powerful imagines.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Our Sargent at Arms seems to be rather an action hero!

This is copied from: Sergeant-at-arms made daring dive to take down gunman: report | Ottawa Citizen

(copy)
The final moments of a gunman’s rampage at Parliament Hill may have been even more dramatic than previously acknowledged.

The narrative emerging on the Hill, sources confirmed Saturday, is one in which Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers stood with his back to a column in Centre Block, while gunman Michael Zehaf-Bibeau was on the other side, close enough that Vickers could see the barrel of the gunman’s rifle.

While the facts of those chaotic moments are difficult to fully confirm, it is said that Vickers, 58, then dove and flipped onto his back, shooting upwards at the gunman as he fell to deliver the fatal shots to the man believed to have killed Cpl. Nathan Cirillo earlier that morning.

The CBC, which first publicly reported these details, said Zehaf-Bibeau had a confrontation with security at the entrance of Centre Block, then ran down the Hall of Honour toward the Parliamentary Library, where he shot at doors.

Vickers, in his office metres away, heard the shots and grabbed his semi-automatic pistol, running toward the sound, the report said.

The sergeant-at-arms’ team yelled that Zehaf-Bibeau was hiding in the alcove, and Vickers took cover at the pillar, where he was at arm’s length from the gunman, according to the CBC.

Spotting the barrel of the man’s rifle, it’s said Vickers dove to the floor, simultaneously firing his weapon upwards at Zehaf-Bibeau.

Bibeau was hit several times and fell, but Vickers kept firing. Meanwhile, the rest of the security team sprinted forward and opened fire.

No one other than Zehaf-Bibeau was hit in the exchange.

CBC said Vickers calmly got up after the firing was over and went back to his office to reload in case there were other suspects.

He then went to the Tory caucus room where Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his MPs had barricaded the room’s doors with chairs.

Inside the room, Vickers is said to have told the MPs that: “I engaged the suspect and the suspect is deceased.”

21 - 32 of 32 Posts