The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im once again taking a long hard look a bringing a Lexion into my Deere fleet. Currently running Deere 680s-780s and MacDon 40'

Anyone out there consistently running Claas machines beside John Deere S-series? Experience?

Straight cut canola, cereals/wheat, soybeans.. always tough green straw crops here.

Fuel consumption on Claas??? What is realistic expectation? (Deere going in wrong direction)

Year old 700 series or new 8000 series?

MacDon or Claas header?

Tracks or tires?

Problems or expected issues?

Good/Bad/Ugly??

·
Super Moderator
2,651 Posts
There is some sort of data sharing agreement between CNH, Claas and Deere now.

Definitely tracks.

8000 series only If rotor covers are full open/full closed type like old model. No 4D ****.

If running MD FD’s now just get adaptor changed and wait a year or two.

Local farmer runs a mixed fleet Claas/Deere, claims 38% less fuel per tonne with Claas but drops most of the straw with the Claases.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
If I were you I would try one used Lexion before you go whole hog. It may take another year to get the bugs out of the new series. With all the modifications available for the older Lexions, the old series including the 500's and 700's can preform very well. A few modifications or different components can make a big difference to these machines. In your conditions defiantly get tracks and use a Macdon flex draper. With our wide body 590 some of the modification that made a huge difference was cutting down the flighting on the Macdon adapters, Sunny brook impeller and knife on the dogs tongue enterance into the rotor, TM 6 top sieve, rotor keystocks, and the Zero degree APS caps. With these modifications my 10 year old machines will give the Largest Deere a run for it money with less fuel and loss. The Lexion can keep going longer when all other makes have quit at night. I think it would be a good move for you because of the rough conditions but I would go into it slowly. Maybe you should consider the new twin rotor from Deere.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is some sort of data sharing agreement between CNH, Claas and Deere now.

Definitely tracks.

8000 series only If rotor covers are full open/full closed type like old model. No 4D ****.
This I dont understand.... Are you saying 8000 not worth the extra money at this point?

If running MD FD’s now just get adaptor changed and wait a year or two.
ok

Local farmer runs a mixed fleet Claas/Deere, claims 38% less fuel per tonne with Claas but drops most of the straw with the Claases.
I drop 100% of my straw here.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I were you I would try one used Lexion before you go whole hog. It may take another year to get the bugs out of the new series. With all the modifications available for the older Lexions, the old series including the 500's and 700's can preform very well. A few modifications or different components can make a big difference to these machines. In your conditions defiantly get tracks and use a Macdon flex draper. With our wide body 590 some of the modification that made a huge difference was cutting down the flighting on the Macdon adapters, Sunny brook impeller and knife on the dogs tongue enterance into the rotor, TM 6 top sieve, rotor keystocks, and the Zero degree APS caps. With these modifications my 10 year old machines will give the Largest Deere a run for it money with less fuel and loss. The Lexion can keep going longer when all other makes have quit at night. I think it would be a good move for you because of the rough conditions but I would go into it slowly. Maybe you should consider the new twin rotor from Deere.
I do appreciate your input... I can take these mods and ask the dealer about them.

I am very excited to demo a twin rotor deere this summer. Part of the reason I want a lexion in the yard. Biggest issue will be the price point from what im hearing.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Your dealer likley won't be much help with the modifications. Most dealers bleed factory original and if you don't have everything factory original than that is why you are having problems. The combine forum is the place to figure out the modifications. PM me if you have questions.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your dealer likley won't be much help with the modifications. Most dealers bleed factory original and if you don't have everything factory original than that is why you are having problems. The combine forum is the place to figure out the modifications. PM me if you have questions.
thank you

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Agree with all of the above. Can't think of any modification above that doesn't work, or isn't worth it. Dealers have their place, but the above modifications won't likely be recommended, appreciated or known about from a dealership.

·
Super Moderator
2,651 Posts
I drop 100% of my straw here.
What I meant was they generally don’t drop Deere straw due to to the better quality of the straw from Claas but that would also widen the fuel advantage to Claas.

Must be nice, the fuel savings in this area last year would have been great dropping straw.
We did drop a little, capacity went up about 30%.

I hear the Deere twin rotor only has a 13.5 engine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I meant was they generally don’t drop Deere straw due to to the better quality of the straw from Claas but that would also widen the fuel advantage to Claas.

Must be nice, the fuel savings in this area last year would have been great dropping straw.
We did drop a little, capacity went up about 30%.

I hear the Deere twin rotor only has a 13.5 engine.
Not sure I can believe the 13.5 liter engine!?!?? I've talked to multiple dealers, district reps etc trying to dig up any information on these things and I can't get a peep out of anyone, because nobody knows. I personally expected a 14.9 liter cummins in it ..... but who knows?!

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
You likley could buy two low houred 760's for the same price as one of these twin rotor Deeres. I am not sure I would want to own a combine the first year it was out. It seems like both the new model Lexion and Idea had issues. The information on the Ideal in the first year seems to be almost non existent. A modified wide body older series Lexion is a very proven and productive machine even in bad conditions.

·
Super Moderator
2,651 Posts
It seems like the new model Lexion had issues.
It did as a pre series but the vast majority of issues will be addressed on general production.
The complaints were very uniform across the pre series owners meeting and I didn’t hear anything I didn’t know about.
I brought up a couple of ssues others missed and/or did not have trouble with though.
Research, you understand.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You likley could buy two low houred 760's for the same price as one of these twin rotor Deeres. I am not sure I would want to own a combine the first year it was out. It seems like both the new model Lexion and Idea had issues. The information on the Ideal in the first year seems to be almost non existent. A modified wide body older series Lexion is a very proven and productive machine even in bad conditions.
Yep 10-4 on that......

My lexion dealer is 575km south of here
My Deere dealer is 2.3 km south

Ive been back chewing on this a dozen times. Lexion dealer wants $670K for a 2019 760TT with 150 hours on it...??!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
God forbid the dealers would have to actually understand the machine instead of just plugging a laptop in and charging 1200$ for the privilege.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
If a twin rotor JD is coming out grind the local Claas to roll in at the same time with the same class and duke it out! The winner gets the spoils of war...a new owner 😂

·
Super Moderator
2,651 Posts
Why wait on the new MD's, is there something better coming down the line, are the new ones no good.
Not sure what vintage of MacDon FD‘s Dave has, if they are in good shape I’d just keep them.
I get the feeling MacDon is soon due for an updated model.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Not sure what vintage of MacDon FD‘s Dave has, if they are in good shape I’d just keep them.
I get the feeling MacDon is soon due for an updated model.
Not that I am in love with the MacDon, but didn't they just come out with a new model, like the FD1, and already time for a new one?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts