The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a little quiet here, so I”ll ask the question. Can the new finger bar separating grates from the 8000 series rotors be slid into the 500/ 700 series racks? First couple would nice? Another subject, looks like the floor under the 8000 series impeller could be made adjustable or more open concave like? observation: The sunnybrook impeller really seems to have fixed one of the major limitations in green crops on the old Lexion 500/700 series. Good luck! tiger

·
Super Moderator
2,657 Posts
Been a little quiet here, so I”ll ask the question. Can the new finger bar separating grates from the 8000 series rotors be slid into the 500/ 700 series racks? First couple would nice? Another subject, looks like the floor under the 8000 series impeller could be made adjustable or more open concave like? observation: The sunnybrook impeller really seems to have fixed one of the major limitations in green crops on the old Lexion 500/700 series. Good luck! tiger
I’m going SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess) yes, the rotor concaves can be swapped out with limited modification.
Not sure it would make economic sense though, welding keystock like seedcleaner and South SK have discussed probably is.

The impeller floor is NOT adjustable, nor is that the plugging pinch point anyway, between impeller and concave is.

Is the new impeller setup better than a Sunnybrook impeller? Definitely not.
Is the new impeller setup better than the old stock setup? No.
I suspect something different is coming.

·
Premium Member
8,054 Posts
Is the new impeller setup better than a Sunnybrook impeller? Definitely not.
Is the new impeller setup better than the old stock setup? No.
I suspect something different is coming.
Good greif, I had a bad feeling about trading. Claas can't even figure out if they are putting 3D or 4D in the new machine yet, I doubt anyone is going to be able to retro-fit proper 3D covers onto new grates unless someone can fabricate the parts or the old covers fit?

Way too many unknowns going on here, someone needs to start getting some answers. Maybe at the farm show in Saskatoon this week there will be some...

·
Super Moderator
2,657 Posts
Claas has been notoriously slow at get info and updates out, nothing different now.

I can say with at least 90% certainty both those major issues will be properly addressed.

·
Premium Member
8,054 Posts
Aren't these things going into production right away, presumably with guts that were assembled in Germany and shipped over? I wonder what the lead time is on all of that. If they haven't fessed up to the need for a change in course yet my guess is it's already in motion....in the wrong direction.:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
2,657 Posts
Us not knowing what they are doing does not necessarily mean they are not already being built properly...I hope.

·
Premium Member
5,278 Posts
Tigercat the Seedcleaner rotor keystocks in grate 3 and 4 from the front greatly reduced rotor loss and decreased sieve load. Rotor loss has been one of the main limitations for capacity for us in various crops. After installing these Keystocks mid season this year we just about double the capacity of our 590r in light bushel weight wheat will lots of straw. With keystocks rotor loss was a non issue for us in crops were it was a problem before because it greatly improved the rotor separation. The only down side was the truck drivers which was me and another helper could not keep up with the two combines after the modification because of the greatly increased capacity. I can send you some pictures if you want. I have a couple spare laser cut sets made up if you or anyone else wants a set.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
That is cool that a couple of you guys figured out a fairly simple fix for a pretty big problem! What do you think is the explanation of what is happening inside the rotors that this addition of the keystock makes such a big difference?. Is the keystock rolling or fluffing the straw/grain mix so the seeds get another chance of getting to the grate and escaping? I remember you saying in the past that you experience serious rotor losses on your 590 and 595. Is there some factory differences in different models of these that could explain grain loss. Like small grain setup vs corn. My 480 corn version was different but did not experience rotor losses. Neither did my 2008 590 small grains version???

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
The keystocks simply disrupt the flow of material. If you look at the rotor grates, especially by folding the chopper down and looking at them from the back, they are very smooth, except for the ripple in the wires. CNH has the same options on their single rotor. Can do smooth slotted grates, or the much more popular keystock setup. That is what gave me the confidence that a more aggressive grate can be utilized.

I still find the straw output to be very acceptable if you are saving straw.

I don't notice extra fuel consumption or rotor processing struggles.

I decided position 3 and 4 was proper because the factory setup already "works". So, let 1 and 2 do their thing, 3 and 4 can tumble and continue to separate the material, the remainder 5 and/or 6 continue to separate.

I can't comment on your 400 series. I do think they had more rotor cage wrap on the rotor area, maybe even all 360 degrees? Also, with possibly less horsepower, rotor loss never showed up?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Seedcleaner, did you notice more damaged soybeans or corn by adding the keystock?

I have full round bar main concave so small grains can be slow going but I typically only have a couple hundred acres.

What do you need for a set SouthernSK? I would maybe be interested

·
Super Moderator
2,657 Posts
What do you need for a set SouthernSK? I would maybe be interested
Open this thread for an excellent start

·
Super Moderator
2,657 Posts
Seedcleaner, the increase in separation effectiveness from 1000 to 1250 rotor rpm is not linear, it’s an almost exponential increase.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good greif, I had a bad feeling about trading. Claas can't even figure out if they are putting 3D or 4D in the new machine yet, I doubt anyone is going to be able to retro-fit proper 3D covers onto new grates unless someone can fabricate the parts or the old covers fit?

Way too many unknowns going on here, someone needs to start getting some answers. Maybe at the farm show in Saskatoon this week there will be some...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don,
You stated the new impeller setup is not better than the old stock impeller setup? Frustrating! Can you elaborate? I assume the " new bigger badder better sunnybrook impeller" is in the works for 7000/8000 series? Why would one not want a segmented sunnybrook style impeller. Why can't claas get this one major weak link right? Good Luck! Tiger

·
Super Moderator
2,657 Posts
Don,
You stated the new impeller setup is not better than the old stock impeller setup? Frustrating! Can you elaborate? I assume the " new bigger badder better sunnybrook impeller" is in the works for 7000/8000 series? Why would one not want a segmented sunnybrook style impeller. Why can't claas get this one major weak link right? Good Luck! Tiger
Good luck to us all, thank you.

The impeller was problematic enough, and not just mine, that I believe a major change will occur on Claases own accord.
The minute I looked at my new unit I questioned the one to one drive setup from the cylinder.

I don’t know why things were missed, if I’d been prototyping about ten issues would not have seen the light of production day.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Open this thread for an excellent start

Thanks Don, good info in there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts