The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for those who are running and have run older Gleaner conventional combines. (mainly F, M, L)

Have any of you ever permanently cured feeder beater plugging or at least got it to a reasonable minimum like rocks, huge weeds etc.

Is there anyone out there who can't remember the last time they plugged?

·
Registered
596 Posts
A new set of cylinder bars usually clears up the problem (provided the slip clutch is good). good leading edges pull the crop through the cylinder, worn bars beat it back toward the feeder beater.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's been a long time since I plugged mine on the L3. Good cylinder bars and floating beater. I believe feeder would benefit from changing to enclosed cylinder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been a long time since I plugged mine on the L3. Good cylinder bars and floating beater. I believe feeder would benefit from changing to enclosed cylinder.
Yes, the floating feeder makes sense to me. It seems a fixed position feeder, which we have is inherently unforgiving when a slug hits. Even if the slip clutch and cylinder bars are good there is only so much room and slugs are going to happen. My thoughts are unplugging once a season is once to often.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Put new rasp bars on before 2018 harvest. Only recall plugging a few times since, and those were mostly operator error. I do have the fixed feeder beater but run it set almost wide open. Both have made a big difference.

·
Registered
231 Posts
F2...shimmed clutch per book,filled the rest pockets with springs,raised to highest position,clocked fingers for max retraction...never plugged again. First 2 yrs sucked. Did this and no more.Had it 20yrs. Only 44A beans/yr but hey! Raising and clocking probably did as much good as adding springs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts