The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried a 7010 last fall in rice and it did a great job. What I am wondering is how doe the cost of maintaining the new style combines compare. If 5 years down the road the rotor quits on my 2388, I can replace most of the parts pretty easy and not for too much money. If the 7010 has trouble it looks like a real money pit. I like the hydraulic drives,but am worried about the cost down the road.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Surprised no replies yet. Don't let the 88s fool ya, they can be a big money pit with age and hours too. But I feel as long as the electrical is good the 88s will always be worth fixing, pretty much no matter the cost. Advantage with the 88s is you can pretty much fix anything on them in your shop or in the field with a few wrenches. They do have lots of belts/bearings/auger bed/etc but everything is easily fixable with a little common sense.

70/8010s I have no experience with other than a spectator. It will be interesting to see how they pan out with high hours. Even moreso than the 88s, the death of them will be electronics. But mechanically I think they have the potential to hold up well. Lots less moving parts than an 88. No auger bed. No feeder belts. The problem areas will be where grain flows (augers, grain troughs, grain tank, unload).

I see advantages and disadvantages to each platform of machine, its just gonna be whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
yeah I was hopeing for some good answers on here as well..

I wonder if anyone on here has a really high houred 8010 and how's that worked out for them

·
Registered
170 Posts
We don't have a terrible lot of hours on our 8010 but the weakest point as far as wear that I can see is the return housing. We totally rebuilt that this year and used heavier metal than factory. Case says to buy a whole new housing so you can wear it out in another 1000 hours for a whopping $2500 a shot. Other than that we had a computer go bad and had to put a new one in and have it programmed. We have been very pleased overall with the machine. I would recommend spending the money to get a service manual with the combine if you plan to have it very long. That was the single best investment we made.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
hey snakebit we have a 7010 but in Aus we are pretty happy with it it got 1200 hrs now 2007 model the most problems we have had were hydrulic and eletrical. the hydrulic problem was an air lock from new had to have case help on that one. as for rodents well where you have electrics you will get a rat. but our electric probs have all been weather related moisture getting in to plugs and conecters. part of being a contract harvester they don't see a shed to much during the season. like blackfalcon I have herd of a few blokes wearing the returns housing out but we havn't as yet. the only other problem we had was with the grian pan started to crack was replaced under warranty. but i would rate them a better harvester than the 2388

1 - 6 of 6 Posts