The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at a Case 9370 quad track - late 1990's. we are hoping to use it on our grain cart and heavy harrow. Are there any issues that we need to be aware of or wear points that we need to inspect

·
Registered
61 Posts
No personal experience with the 9300 quads. Do own a stx quad though. From what I've heard the 9300's were fairly reliable. Read about brake problems and you will want to check all the axle seals and centre pins for wear/leaks. The tracks shouldn't give to much trouble if they were well maintained. Just make sure they have clear caps on the idlers/rollers and you check the oil levels daily.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pull the brake cross over tubes and replace with new tubes...They can get limp in time and your brakes will come on and you will not know it. UGLY

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Had a 9380 on the farm years back on tires, unquestionably the most reliable tractor that's ever been on our farm.

On the tracks one thing I do know is some of them are still running around with the old style drive wheels that do not have holes in them, they caused trouble in lots of mud and were terrible in snow causing trouble with the tracks so keep that in mind.

If it does not already have kyle clear view caps on I highly recommend getting a set for it.

Other than that they are very similar in design to the new ones only that many parts have gone from steel to cast iron.

Before I forget, they ride terrible but if your not afraid of a cutting torch and a welder cab suspension is doable

·
Registered
906 Posts
Had a 9380 on the farm years back on tires, unquestionably the most reliable tractor that's ever been on our farm.

On the tracks one thing I do know is some of them are still running around with the old style drive wheels that do not have holes in them, they caused trouble in lots of mud and were terrible in snow causing trouble with the tracks so keep that in mind.

If it does not already have kyle clear view caps on I highly recommend getting a set for it.

Other than that they are very similar in design to the new ones only that many parts have gone from steel to cast iron.

Before I forget, they ride terrible but if your not afraid of a cutting torch and a welder cab suspension is doable
They only ride terrible if you have rocky ground or lots of washboards on your gravel roads. We love our stx and I don't have any complaints about the ride except for the situations I just mentioned. In our area, we have no use for cab suspension on our quad.

·
Premium Member
4,309 Posts
I would say its the wrong choice of tractor for harrow & grain cart. Those two jobs generally involved higher speed and don't get the tracks much chance to get dirt in the under carriage (which acts as a dry lubricant) Its going to be horrible rough at higher speed as well without cab suspension. Id buy a wheeled tractor if those are its main two jobs.

·
Registered
775 Posts
They only ride terrible if you have rocky ground or lots of washboards on your gravel roads. We love our stx and I don't have any complaints about the ride except for the situations I just mentioned. In our area, we have no use for cab suspension on our quad.
Early ones did not have cab air ride .

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
No washboard? No rocks?
I thought that only existed in fairytale land.......

·
Registered
906 Posts
No washboard? No rocks?
I thought that only existed in fairytale land.......
A few washboards but nothing horrible. It helps that almost everything we farm is in a 4 mile radius. Rocks we maybe pick 5-10 a field by hand if we are lucky. Cant remember the last time we used a rock picker. And nothing of much size to make a quad ride rough.

Maybe I just farm fairytale land!

·
Registered
83 Posts
9370 Quadtrac Pinion

When we worked over the differential we noticed this bolt was not in the hole on the bottom of the bearing. So we installed one...were we not supposed to do that??

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I understand you have to remove the entire assembly....get yourself a forklift, it goes pretty easy. I believe the tourge on the big drive wheel bolts are 600# on the old 9370.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Has anyone ever changed an axle seal on one of these or a newer one withought removing the entire front differential assembly?

https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=151689&stc=1&d=1557694790
Its a big job. My tractor is in the shop right now to get them changed on one axle and i know from 2 more with the same problem. My understanding is, that not the seal is the problem....it is the bearing behind it. So if you blow a seal, you should change the bearing behind it as well and that is the reason, why you have to drop the axle. The parts (Seal&bearing) per side are around 900-1000$, but it is a lot of hours. If you have axle out, you probably should change both sides at the same time. So the total cost (incl labour) per axle are around 10,000-15,000 $

I think it is more an ageing problem than a hp issue. The worst part is, that Case doesn't have "improved" seals or bearings available.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Its a big job. My tractor is in the shop right now to get them changed on one axle and i know from 2 more with the same problem. My understanding is, that not the seal is the problem....it is the bearing behind it.
I think it is more an ageing problem than a hp issue.

That’s interesting, without knowing that, I would have concluded it was a horsepower issue in our situation. It is making a lot of power, but this tractor only ever gets worked relatively hard in the 6-7 mph speed range, which should still be keeping the torque pressures down on the final drives to something similar to a 600 HP pulling at 4.5 mph. It’s rather odd, because neither the weight nor the draft nor the steering force is transferred through the axle bearings on a CIH Quadtrac.

Bearings and planetary replacement are needed on both sides in the front for this one. Hopefully those elusive bigger chassis 16 litre ones start rolling out the door soon! This one’s waiting to back off to the second tier job.

https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=151723&stc=1&d=1557946843

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
That’s interesting, without knowing that I would have concluded it was a horsepower issue in our situation. It is making a lot of power but this tractor only ever gets worked relatively hard in the 6-7 mph speed range, which should still be keeping the torque pressures down on the final drives to something similar to a 600 HP pulling at 4.5 mph. It’s rather odd, because neither the weight nor the draft nor the steering force is transferred through the axle bearings on a CIH Quadtrac.
I am thinking the same way. I have more a feeling, that they changed the supplier or something. I have never heard about issues on the previous models.....at least not in our area.

Do you have more pic's of the repair?

The "new" Quads should roll out 2020 or 2021, but so far i am hearing it will be only a exterior design change with the new interior design as well.....similar to the Magnums. HP/engine will probably not change....at least not in the near future

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Do you have more pic's of the repair?

I do have a photo of a torn up axle bearing cup provided by the owner, I don’t think I’ll share that on here right now. I did notice while I was laying on a creeper under that giant casting assembly before it went on the truck the following casting letters, GERMANY
But I won’t likely have the bearing in my hand to establish a brand or origin.

I don’t doubt that the present lineup will only receive a general makeover. If there actually is a bigger one in the works it might only be in the pre-prototype stage or less by then.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
:22: I think it’s just a piece of crap issue.

I wonder if there isn’t more axle torque on that than a guy thinks from the belt pulling on it.

·
Premium Member
8,110 Posts
:22: I think it’s just a piece of crap issue.
I think you are the guy that says what everyone else is thinking...:1:

I recall seeing a pile of quads going through the local shop for seeping axle seals, some more than once!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts