The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have 500ac of canola and 100 ac of peas this year.
I do not own a swather and I do own a 8820 combine with a 22' rigid header.

I will try to straight cut a few acres of canola but do not feel comfortable leaving it all standing because it would put a lot of pressure on my older combine.

Should I be buying a flex header for the peas?
Should I be buying just a swather and swath both crops?
What are some recommendations of older swather that swath canola well? (Under 15g).

Thanks for your insight!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I have swathed canola with our Massey 885 with a 30' head & it worked fine. That & the JD 2360 were made by Macdon & were the same as the Macdon 7000. Would recommend a diesel. Massey had the Perkins or Chrysler gas, Jd put their own diesel or the Chrysler gas & not sure if Macdon had a gas, but they used Cummins. There were other manufacters that had the same machine as well. I think the IH 6000 and White had one too.

·
Registered
758 Posts
go with the Macdon made swathers (MF, JD, White, Case IH ) or the MF 200 can't go wrong with any of them. As far as the IH 4000 they are are great swather, but not for canola unless you have short thin crop.

·
Registered
674 Posts
As far as the IH 4000 they are are great swather, but not for canola unless you have short thin crop.
Yes, the hole on the header isn't big enough and they need more clearance under the machine. Unless you like beaver huts.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Westward (MacDon) 7000 would do a good job for you in canola and cereals.
I'm not sure how much you plan to spend but I sold a Westward 7000, 24.5ft, Cummins diesel for $8000 last year at an auction.

·
Registered
357 Posts
All things looking in similar shape and condition, same price. 4000 hr Macdon or 2000 hr hesston 8100. Which would be better buy? Both 20000 and under

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info.
If I could find a 2360 or macdon 7000 for under 10 I'd be happy I think. Especially if people have had good luck cutting canola.
Are versatile swathes any good? (4750)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What about a hesston 8100?
Is it correct that mf 220's are the same as ccil 722's? Are they good for canola and good for parts availability? What years are to be avoided?
Seem to be more of these available than macdon 7000's on jd 2360's.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got some feed back from local farmers, they have had good results with massey 200's. Slightly more money than the macdons discussed above. Ended up buying a 200. Was really happy with how it handled most of the canola. Comfortable cab, good controls, fuel efficient. Has a few electrical gremlins. Not sure if that's common or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts