The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have 500ac of canola and 100 ac of peas this year.
I do not own a swather and I do own a 8820 combine with a 22' rigid header.

I will try to straight cut a few acres of canola but do not feel comfortable leaving it all standing because it would put a lot of pressure on my older combine.

Should I be buying a flex header for the peas?
Should I be buying just a swather and swath both crops?
What are some recommendations of older swather that swath canola well? (Under 15g).

Thanks for your insight!

· Premium Member
39 Posts
I have swathed canola with our Massey 885 with a 30' head & it worked fine. That & the JD 2360 were made by Macdon & were the same as the Macdon 7000. Would recommend a diesel. Massey had the Perkins or Chrysler gas, Jd put their own diesel or the Chrysler gas & not sure if Macdon had a gas, but they used Cummins. There were other manufacters that had the same machine as well. I think the IH 6000 and White had one too.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What about a hesston 8100?
Is it correct that mf 220's are the same as ccil 722's? Are they good for canola and good for parts availability? What years are to be avoided?
Seem to be more of these available than macdon 7000's on jd 2360's.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got some feed back from local farmers, they have had good results with massey 200's. Slightly more money than the macdons discussed above. Ended up buying a 200. Was really happy with how it handled most of the canola. Comfortable cab, good controls, fuel efficient. Has a few electrical gremlins. Not sure if that's common or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.