The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Ihave the oldest and slowest combine in the state of iowa, it is a john deere 6600 gear drive with over 5400 hours on it,Irun a 6 row narrow on it, also 13 ft bean head , I also do some oats. In corn I run in low gear about [email protected]/2 miles an hour ,Ikeep snouts real close to the ground, I like to try and get every ear..Iwould like to find a nice 7720. Where is this one worth the most money,an auction, salvage yard or a scrap yard? jd4620

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh dont go to hard on your self. We got our first combine last year a 78' 7700 turbo 3400hrs and did 650 acers with it. We have recived more phone calls than I can count from friends and nieghbours saying how good of job they heard or seen we did and have asked if we could do theirs next year. Going to up grade to the 9000 sieries fo comfort reasons but goes to show take your time and those old girls still do a good job. We found that 7700 from and old farmer who put his word behind it and was sad to see it go. He called the first week of harvest to see how we were getting along with it thats how I hope to find our next bind also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Better keep that ol' 78 it just may be a better combine than the newer ones. I run a 7720 bought new the first year they brought out the 20 series and an 8820 used and have had less trouble with them than any sence ,9610, two 9860's glad I kept the old faithfuls.

·
Registered
200 Posts
if it's a gas unit i would say scrap yard, but a diesel can still find a good home.
i still have a couple 95 and 105 models and do some dry beans with them. not the fastest by far, but the quality of the sample can't be beat.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Interesting how we really do get so attached to our combines or tractors. I had an older Gleaner, close to your 7700's age. Got that one all refurbished and thought I'd just do local shows, the occasional parade and demonstrations. A farmer heard about it, and talked me into selling. I really needed the bread to buy seed and supplies for a small produce farm, so I reluctantly sold the old M, I had named "Pearl."
A couple of months or so after wheat harvest was over, I called that man and made arrangements to go see him and my old combine. I'm soooo glad I did, too! "Pearl" does indeed, have a good home. The place is also picturesque. He takes good care of her, too.

I guess to some of us more sentimental kind, our combines and tractors are really more like pets.

·
Registered
102 Posts
KEEP THE 7700!!!!! There is something about those old girls that connect you to your work! I was up at the local JD Dealer buying a new radio for my jd4520. While I was there, they had a new tractor the same size as my 4520. It was loaded it even had a DVD player! WTF? a DVD Player! I gues you get bored with that auto steer? Anyway, old tractors have some kind of conection to the past and yet can find a working place in the future.....and this is comming froma man who destroys combines for fun!!!!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
You can't disagree to hat.

·
Registered
200 Posts
sorry, but a 12 year old boy has no idea what "costing the farm means" i have see shiny new iron cost lots more farms than something that is paid for. please stick around as you will learn a lot here, but don't try to pass yourself off as an adult here. we don't need another jd8760 around

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Agree with mike52ar, you're welcome to hang around and learn and even share your thoughts and experiences, but at your age, how could you have sentimental value on anything? And sentimental value doesn't make you money, but it does add to the enjoyment of the farming job at times and paid for equipment can certainly make you money. "Costing you the farm" is some pretty serious stuff, where if true it is a management problem not a machine problem.

·
Registered
200 Posts
sometimes it can be real frustrating fixing an older machine, but if you can get on top of the problems and keep it going you will be money ahead. sometimes a machine does get to the point where it is throwing good money after bad, but all too often i have seen farmers who spend too much on shine and not enough on wrenching. if you keep working at it and are careful with the dollars you will have a good future on the farm. don't forget to learn everything you can. a good education serve you better than any machine can ever do. take some shop classes but don't pass on the other classes even if they are hard. the learning experience will serve you for the rest of your life.

·
Super Moderator
3,469 Posts
Yeah, it's different alright.

Yes, good to meet you.
Thank you but there is lots of knowledge floating around here on a wide assortment of topics.
I fairly weak on female harvest help though.
Apparently.

Don

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Well, if kittensniffles causes you too much grief, you could always change it to hijacker
jk

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
The guy I sold my 40 EB to is still running it in soybeans. Never say never (or nobody
)

·
Registered
200 Posts
we still do specialty dry beans with a 105 and 3 95 deere combines. we had a dozen or so of them and used them for all harvesting up until 6 years ago on about 800 acres. not real fast but real cheap! one of the 95's we kept has only 2100 hours on it.

jd8760 was a fraud who posted on the general farming topic. was most likely a nigerian scam artist.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts