The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked around but never saw any mention of an oliver combine. My uncle had a 525 oliver when I was a kid and I always wanted to find one and restore it just to have around I miss the sound of that old combine going through the field.
DM01

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody ever seen one or know where I could locate one? I have looked every place I can think of to find one but all I have found is a 535 oliver and its not forsale.
DM01

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My uncle had 3 of them. 2 for parts. The one he used all the time burnt up in 97 and my stupid cousin scrapped them right after my uncle died in the 2000.
there used to be a lot of them in my area but they are hard to find.
DM01

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The look a lot like the old whit combines. I don't know who actually made the combine. I don't think Oliver actually mad them but I could be wrong.
DM01

·
Registered
91 Posts

In July 2007 I watched this very nice field ready 525 Oliver sell for less than $500 at a farm sale.There were quite a few in this area.About 3-4 years ago a real nice 525 was driven to a local junkyard.

The 2890 MM to the left sold for $80.It was rough,no header,but ran great with a fresh engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This one was at Nolans Equip auction in Lapeer, MI. ( now a Tri-Coundy dealer) It sold to a collector this past spring. It was a 545 with both heads.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
When White bought Oliver and Cockshutt I believe all the combines (such as these) were based off the Cockshutt machines while the tractors were based off of Oliver. Whites rotary combine actually began development in the mid 60's by the Oliver/Cockshutt team.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes, far as I know all the sixties Oliver combines were really Cockshutts painted green with Oliver decals. It was all Cockshutt up here in Sask. The bigger 542 was probably one of the most popular combines ever sold because they were everywhere. They were a fairly cheap, simple combine. I ran and repaired one for a neighbour and my brother had the newer version (5542) with the 318 Chrysler powerplant. Nothing wrong with those old flathead sixes but a little more power is never a bad thing. This picture shows the neighbour's old 542 (1968 model) hard at work in the fall of 91 picking up a heavy swath of durum wheat that had laid out in the rain quite a while , hence all the dust.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Actually Oliver and Cockshutt were both bought in 1960 by White and MM wasn't bought until 1963. And yes, after the Oliver and Cockshutt aquisitions the combines were Cockshutt and the tractors and other equipment was Oliver. When MM was bought in '63 it was operated seperately from Oliver and Cockshutt as a wholly owned and operated division of White until 1969, the MM equipment shared no components or platforms with the Oliver/Cockshutt line. Then in '69 the MM tractors started using the Oliver platform (rearends, trannys, hydraulics...) but still offered MM motors. Some MM models were identical to the Olivers (same motors) and there were a few Oliver models introduced that used the MM motors. Also starting in '69 the MM combines were based off the Cockshutt/Oliver machines.

·
Registered
485 Posts
There was a real oliver combine, my neighbor had one. The engine sat on the left side in line to the combine. It is in a combine book i have. If anyone is interested i will try to scan a picture here.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The above combine by Oliver was built from about 61-63/4. It was a Woods brothers design I think similar to the first Ford self propelled combine. I don't know much about the Woods Brothers equipment or who actually manufactured that equipment. My understanding is that Ford/Dearborn sold their designs of corn pickers and pull type combines (early Ford/Dearborn pickers were laballed with the Woods Brotheres name). The above combine was contemporary with the late 40 which was a true Oliver combine design and used till the Cockshutt combines appeared in around 63 with the 430 and 431 and the next year I think was the 525 specifically designed for the corn country followed by the 535 and 545 for corn heads while the 542 was still built for grain areas with the side grain tank. My understanding.
I don't know if it is a coincidence, but that combine looks alot like the IH 101 and 151 combines that came out in 57/8.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
No, no Woods Bro's in this combine's genes. You are quite on top of things to first recognize this Oliver's [Model 25] ties to Ford. Actually, it WAS Ford's first SPC and branded as the "Model 611." Like your name, it was painted red.

I don't know when Ford first marketed their 611, but from some old literature, I do know it was still sold as of 1970 if not 1971.
I believe Oliver never really ever intended to brand any of these "lower-end" combines as their own, because all Oliver 25's bear the distinct embossed oval on their walker bodies, obviously designed to accommodate the oval Ford emblem. Ford just did not have the clout with combines they had with tractors.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts