The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last couple days I've been breaking in some new help on the cart. He is doing fairly well, in fact he is really showing some real promise. Considering he is 9 I can't complain a bit. Here's a few shots of us doing 20 acres for the neighbor on a Sunday afternoon....

Hanging around Listening to Nascar waiting for dad..

Yes I see you coming... Dad !!!

Hurry up Cody.....

Look out mom were coming through...

Last Saturday we were working on corn and the Mrs showed up with the camera for us again.....

Whew he showed up just in time........

Hey slow up a little we are almost to the end......

Hey everyone hope harvest is going good for you and yields are over the top good..........

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: On the go....

Man that brings back some memories of when my dad taught me how to drive truck in the field. He needed to get it moved to the other end of a 1/4 section. He got it going and said told me where to drive it to. He said when you get there just shut off the key and then he jumped out. I was about 6 at the time. He met me at the other end with the combine.

Miss those days.

·
Registered
486 Posts

Nothing beats the first time your dad put you alone behind the wheel! My virgin voyage was behind the wheel of a ford 4000!

Ill never forget that!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Glad you liked the shots. I had some help with from the Mrs to get them.
I am glad that he wants to learn to do different things around here, I can use the help for sure. He has always been all about the farm and has always wanted to do just about anything I will let him. I taught him from about 3-4 on up how to start and stop, lift and lower stuff and start and stop the pto on the tractor, combine, trucks ect. I do a lot around here by myself and so I wanted him to know how to help me if I had a problem. He has driven a 4 whlr with me on it since he was 5-6. I have tried to teach him how to do things as safely as I can and he has a 6 & 3 yr old sisters and he is always telling them the same stuff I told him back about that age. He has it in his head to farm when he is gets done with school. I keep telling him that no matter who he works for he is only as good as the things he knows and can do.

·
Registered
886 Posts

Excellant Pictures, As for the Maden Voyage Storys.

My Very Very First time behind the wheel of a Tractor was this year.

I took the John Deere 9320 from the Shed up to were the Wheat planting rig was dumped before the rain.

I remember the first words Uncle Darb (David) said to me before telling me how to drive.

"Have you ever Driven an Articulated vehicle?" of course my answer was No, and looking back I thought it was a pretty stupid question. But now I've got some Skillz, thanks to being hired by a local farm. Can't wait till we fire up the header and head out into the wheat, only a few days (just under a week)

·
Registered
153 Posts

Ahh.... Good times....Good times. Why are you using an allcrop header? It's kinda hard to see through the shades isn't it ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

caseihfan
Quote:Why are you using an allcrop header? It's kinda hard to see through the shades isn't it ?
Well to tell you the truth up until the last couple years I really didn't plant that many acres of soybeans more corn and wheat and milo. I do plan on a flex before next harvest though, just haven't fully decided what model I will end up with. The shades on the tractor aren't really that hard to see out of. I just adjust them as flat as I can most of the time and they really aren't much in the way or shut if needed to block the sun. They really make a huge difference in the heat of the day though.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Sounds like you are really doing the right thing in the way that you are training the lad. ~Great~ pics, too!

Is that tractor a 40 series? Maybe a 4640, or a 4440?
What brand of loader is that?

It looks as though you really take pride in your equipment! I try and do the same, too! Is that the original SMV symbol on the combine (top pic)? If so, that combine has spent as many nights outside as I have! Were those pictures taken on Sunday, during the race? Maybe during the first rain delay @ Kansas?

Finally, is that combine a 6620 or 7720?

Again, great pics! I commend you for taking the time to "raise 'em right!"

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote: TxFarmer
Is that tractor a 40 series? Maybe a 4640, or a 4440?
What brand of loader is that?

It looks as though you really take pride in your equipment! I try and do the same, too! Is that the original SMV symbol on the combine (top pic)? If so, that combine has spent as many nights outside as I have! Were those pictures taken on Sunday, during the race? Maybe during the first rain delay @ Kansas?
Finally, is that combine a 6620 or 7720?

The tractor is a 1975 4430. As far as I know I am the second owner. The loader Koyker 500 that I bought new about 10 yrs ago. The SMV sign I can't remember for sure if I have ever replaced that or not. The combine is a 6620 that I bought about 10 yrs ago and am the second owner on it as well. I try to keep things clean and nice but that is a real chore at times. I don't let anything of mine set out if I can possibly get it in a shed. In fact I can't ever remember the combine ever setting out and getting rained on since I bought it.
It was indeed during the rain delay on sunday.... umm I think it was the long one that MRN even went off the air for a while and came back on.

·
Registered
521 Posts

HA! I thought you guys must have been at an idle during the rain delay! LOL..So it was the second rain delay, huh?

Thanks for the info on the tractor. I was not simply being nosy, as I have a JD 4440 that I need to purchase a loader for. Yours' looks good. As far as the care on the combine...I kinda knew your story, just by looking at the iron! You and I, and a lot of others here feel the same way about this expensive iron!

Again, great looking, classic stuff, there!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:gleanerf2fan
Great looking pics, I really like them. Last time I saw soys being cut with a row crop header was in the old Titan brochures. So seeing this is a treat!

Glad you liked them...

Quote:TxFarmer
Thanks for the info on the tractor. I was not simply being nosy, as I have a JD 4440 that I need to purchase a loader for. Yours' looks good.

You are welcome. I like the loader but if I was to use it more on a daily basis I would go to a JD. The 725-726 are far and away are much better loaders, but for me this one does all I ask of it. I didn't think of your questions as nosy at all. If I had anything to hide sure wouldn't ever post on the net....
Maybe I can get the Mrs to shot a couple of us picking corn one of these days. Dang rain is really gettting to be a pain in the A**. Would almost like it to freeze so the fields would be solid so I can run without tearing them up so bad..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts