The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we finished up with harvest about 5 weeks ago. We cleaned this old STS up for the last time and got it ready to head down the road to a new home. Thank God!! I've been dealing on some new machines for the past few weeks. Nothings happened yet, but I guess it's a good thing nothings happened. Because I guess it wasn't quite the last time.

Yes, I had to give the old Deere one more run. Some neighbors called yesterday, their combine brokedown and they asked if we'd finish their last 40 acres of milo for them. So the 9650 came out of the shed one last time for harvest on this farm. Conveniently milo was the last crop we'd finished with so she was all set to go, the flex head was even on and ready.

So the old girl received a noble fairwell run, coming to the rescue of a fallen brother late in the harvest season. So we'll clean it up one last time (I think/hope) and send it down the road in search of a new home. So Combiness you better make it here soon or else you might miss it. We went and looked at a new machine a few days ago and the dealings are getting close to finalizing. Either way I'm happy, this green ones out of my hair and a new one is on the way!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can I ask a couple questions?

What number machine did you have?

Are you upgrading to a larger combine?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well hopefully a "silver seeder" will cut some costs. Fuel for sure, but I'll probably end up with a higher bill for corn and soybean seed from now on because I don't think it will replant near as much as the Deere. Isn't that why I hear Deeres come from "the long green line"? Or are they the green grinders? Man, just can't remember, I think it's both.

Looking at red and silver right now. If it's a new silver I hope it's as reliable as our old R-62, which cost a lot less to repair and maintain than this 9650. Even if it's red I hope it's more reliable than the 9650. Would like to try an AFX but I don't need a class 7 or larger so I think red is out of the picture.

So it's down to what they can do for me on a new R-66. But the dealer I'm working with just took us out and showed us a low hour, late model R-65 that some guys just traded on a new 66. One heck of a nice, clean, straight machine, and very well taken care of. I've almost decided to go that route to save some coin. Already spent enough money this winter trying to lower income tax.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
just givin ya hard time, lol. Once you make your mind up on a manufacturer, there's no point in trying to sway them. I think you got a bad 9650 myself, but im not gonna get into it because i know it'd be a pointless conversation.

Gleaners like to howl like no other, i can hear my neighbors R62? over our sts in the cab lol, it sounds perty though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am just wondering what you reasons are for leaving green and going with a different color? We run green and are very happy with them. They do a nice clean job got good capacity in beans and in most of the wheat. We ran into a little bit a issue this year in getting good capacity in wheat but I guess you will get that when you have 70-80 bushel wheat that is 3-3.5ft tall.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I left a differernt color and went to green. Now I'm going back. Chances are I did get a bad seed, and this being our first peice of green equipment, it has left a sour taste in my mouth for Deeres. Seems like it was always breaking down or something was wearing out on it. And we could just never get it set like we could get combines before it set to get as clean of grain or throw as little out the back as those. And like I've said before it looked like the neighbors were experiencing similar difficulties, but try to get people who are diehard green to admit it. However I have heard people complain of grinding or throwing grain over, at least some people are honest.

But it seems it was always throwing grain over or grinding or giving a dirty sample in the bin. Or sometimes all of the above. Some people swear by STS's but I just have never had a good experience with them. Not that I think Deere has bad equipment, but it's definitely not always the answer.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Connor,

Just curious, how many sep. hours did your 9650 have on it when you got it and how many hours does it have on it now? What crops did you run through it? You sound like you are located in milo country, so do you have irrigated corn and wheat also?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought the combine new in '02 at the end of harvest season. It had some demo/rental hours on it and now has 1200 sep hours. We grow irrigated corn and soybeans, not a whole lot of milo other than on some pivot corners and dryland patches.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I also agree. John Deere makes some top-notch equipment, but it does not mean every unit is flawless. Even though they lead in overall combine or tractor sales, there's reasons other people still buy/use other brands. Diversity is what makes the world go around.

Had you only kept your head as level on other posts, as you have here, and at least two other posts where you talked about this combine, no one, including myself, would have been inclined to erase them. However, just bashing John Deere as a company, a brand of combines, or calling your own combine names, without further explanation, is unacceptible here. You tarnished your reputation with many here, but in all fairness, I am very pleased whenever you [or anyone] backs up their story.

Good luck with your "new" Gleaner. Stay POSITIVE! I'm sure things will turn out for the STS as well. Things just did not work out for you two, but I also don't see you burning the bridge, either.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It seems like everyday is different especialy in wheat. One day you have it set good to do the job you want it to do and the next day you have to make minor adjustments. It all depends on the weather and what kind of wheat it is.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've backed my explantion up many, many times with a lot of examples, but everybody (mainly the "I only see green" people) told me that I was pretty much out of my mind and that I was lying because no John Deere combine could or would ever do that. Thats what is a bit irritating, especially when I was only talking trash about my own machine and being persecuted for it. I'm not going to talk trash about someone else's equipment or brand that I have no experience with, like a lot of others on here have. I'll at least speak from personal experience.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
You have, sometimes, yes, but I've also seen posts that were not supported. Those were the only ones I or someone else pulled.

Furthermore, not all your comments were just aimed at your own machine. True, you did not call out Joe's or John's combine, but just the same, your sweeping generalities without foundation, are unacceptible, period. No, you're not the basher who's posts have been pulled, either.

Do it civilly; it stays. Be rude or unqualified, it goes.

The choice is yours.

Simple.

·
Registered
273 Posts
connor, what type of mashine does your neighbor run that it took him five weeks longer to finish his harvest, possibly something other than a deere.

·
Registered
578 Posts
what difference does it make what connor says about his own machine??? doesnt making the payment on something give you exclusive right to say whatever you want about it??

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Nobody cares what he ever said about HIS machine.
What got him in trouble [and not with just me], was by dragging the brand name through the dirt.
Later, as he did on this thread, he did explain what was wrong with just his machine.
No problem.

I know you likely missed those other posts, because we removed them just as quickly. I don't care what anyone says negative about this or that brand, as long as [read the above] it is validated.

End of story.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They have a 7720 Turbo, amazing it broke down right? Not sure what the hold up was for them to cause them to be so late. Its a father and son, they've got other pots in the fire so maybe the farming gets put on the back burner a bit once in a while.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Connor: I know how you feel I had 2 8010's that were pitiful with no support. I bought a 97 & 9860 and had next to no problems. I guess every brand has problems. It is like a divorce you have to make the best of it and move on you will have better luck next time good luck to you!!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
You make a great point, jab1. I really believe that today dealer support is the most critical part of deciding which brand to run. Most all of the equipment out there is good, with a few exceptions that are evident in all colors. It's being able to get parts and service in a timely manner and being able to trade right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts