The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday was +25C and wonderful combining weather. Monday morning it is 0C and the ground is white!!!
Lots of standing crop yet as of now. See what it looks like in a couple of days. How is everyone else doing?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
In our part of the Peace Country it was +27c on Saturday and then a shower hit that evening, Sunday afternoon was a high of +3c, what a drastic change !. Then this morning about an inch of snow and around the freezing point. I know a lot of grain has come off up here so its hard to say how much standing grain is out there but some for sure. Standing canola ... all of that would be standing yet. Certainly no harvesting will be done for a few days by the looks of it.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Nah, it can happen in Michigan too. It hasn't happened this year. . . . .yet.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Got some snow Smokey Lake area, none at home though by Boyle and hopefully it stays that way for a long time yet! haha hopefully this weather kills off those skeeters once and for all!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My almost ready to combine HRS wheat heads are a lot closer to the ground right now.:eek:
I'll trade your 10%, Don, for about 3 %.:D Second guessing leaving my L140P for straight cutting too! I tell myself "It is only September 8th."

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Yep, the barley and wheat that WERE once standing are now flat....can anyone say FEED! I am a little bitter right now....oh ya, and prices keep dropping....awesome! NOT

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Nah, it can happen in Michigan too. It hasn't happened this year. . . . .yet.
I think the OP maybe meant: Only in Alberta do they think that it can happen "only in Alberta" ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
We had 6 inch of rain in the last 2 weeks (between aug 23 and sept 4).Started on Saturday again.Got stuck about 12 times on 1 quarter and still not done.Not used to that. Got the combine stuck maybe 4 times in the past 15 years.Raining now again.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
We had 6 inch of rain in the last 2 weeks (between aug 23 and sept 4).Started on Saturday again.Got stuck about 12 times on 1 quarter and still not done.Not used to that. Got the combine stuck maybe 4 times in the past 15 years.Raining now again.
"Same boat" here west of Moose Jaw, haven't been stuck yet, all my neighbours have though. 7-8" since aug 23ish.. I'm REALLY glad my lentils r in the bin! Desicated my chick peas on Saturday, on 320 acre field I didn't make 1 pass without finding at least 1 spot with 1-2' of standing water..

Tried durum seeded may 25th and it was futile, 22% moisture, I asked Cargill if they would take it.. They said no.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Here in se Sk water is still running from slough to slough ..Started when snow melted and hasn't quit yet...The smart guys never seeded an acre

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From the responses, sounds like a little snow isn't so bad. At least we are not "playing" in the mud. ;) Just hope it doesn't freeze too hard.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I think it's the 25 to 0 reference the OP means.
I was poking fun at you AB guys. Maybe I wasn't clear enough with my remarks...:eek:

That sort of thing with variable weather happens everywhere, although I would agree it happens more frequently in Alberta than most other places.;)

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
I was poking fun at you AB guys. Maybe I wasn't clear enough with my remarks...:eek:

That sort of thing with variable weather happens everywhere, although I would agree it happens more frequently in Alberta than most other places.;)
Oh, I realize just a good poke was the intention.:)

I also agree, the proximity to the mountains and the North Pole, jet stream flows and elevation make it while not necessarily an exclusive occurrence a much more common one to Alberta.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts