The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Thanks for the report Jason, I was hoping you would put this online sometime.

Would be great to move some of the OP seed into some small plot Clearfield variety trials with the best and greatest new hybrid seed and see how advanced the yield has truly got, or if most of the gains are in agronomics and disease resistance. If there have been any gains at all.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We never did a side by side trial as I did not think the OP variety would even come close.
With Very similar land types and agronomy the OP variety yielded almost the same and even a bit better on large fields about 2 miles apart.

We are located in South West Saskatchewan.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Those are interesting yield comparisons. It's funny, how farming trends create new soil and weed problems as well as economic challenges. Most of the problem weeds that I saw in canola from riding in a combine this year, would have been dead on arrival after a shot of Treflan EC from the spray system I had on my cultivator in the 80's, so would half of the $**t in next years wheat.

It's interesting that you might get paid $200.+ per acre to summer fallow in a non drought year, you just had to wait a year to collect, as opposed to fighting every challenge the world can throw at you and breaking even twice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will leave the side by side trials to some one else to try.
We are looking at seeding 400-500 acres of some OP canola again next year on some land where we will not seed lentils in the future. We will also try some L252.

There was quite a difference in yield from summer follow canola to canola on stubble.
If we do get into a drought it won't be good as we don't have much summerfollow any more.

With other crop types the yield difference was not so noticeable.

With the Flax we did not see much difference in yield from seeding it on summerfollow or stubble.

In the past peas or lentils yield the same sometimes better on stubble vs stubble.

The durum this year on stubble almost yielded as good as it did on summerfollow.

Next year the results could be different.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Funny thing about 46a76. I grew it 10 years ago beside sw arrow rr. It was a bad year for sclerotinia. The Arrow was infested and lucky if it made 10 or 15 but the 46a76 had no visible disease pressure and made 20 to 25. Now this was 10 years ago and agronomics weren't what they are today but for it not to be affected by sclerotinia was quite interesting. Never grew it again because of extreme weed pressure. Weed control options in crop kinda sucked at the time. Arrow wasn't a real bin buster but had it do 45 once.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting stuff. I have always been suspicious that environmental conditions and fertility have a bigger influence than genetics for canola yields on my farm. I was reviewing some numbers this morning and at current prices I need 35 bu/ac to break even (30 is my magic number for long term number for consistent profitability). Last year was the first time in 20 years I didn't grow canola. Somehow I need to find a way to get my costs under control so that canola can be viable in the rotation down the road.

·
Registered
477 Posts
That's unfortunate. To do anything but side by side has little statistical value.
I'm tryin to cypher this....IHARF did a side by side yield data map by strips up and down the field....every strip of side by side had yield spreads in wheat...each 30 foot pass had side by side yields of - 46-49-49-52-49-46-53-53-55-62 bu/ac on 10 passes...BUT "No treatments were Applied"...this great slide or info was titled, "Why Statistical Evaluation"....and sub titled "naturally occurring variability - what is the probability that observed differences are due to chance?".....Folks, I pinned this on my office bulletin board....a simple reminder that farmer side by side observation is of interest but that is it! Take that to replicated data and over 3 years, then come back to the masses with your new statistically significant data....

·
Registered
477 Posts
Back to related discussion, we had good success with mixing naked bin run bin-vigor at 2 lb/ac with 2 lb/ac cert invigor in 2005 ...I felt good to have professionally treated seed for flea beetles and vigor....felt the cert seed would have greatest adv or vigor and produce dominant # of seeds and branches! Let the weaker inferior second generation fill in the gaps??? result was no diff in yield in '05 but not statistically trialed...canola was $7/bu that year so my self rotary screened cleaned canola seed had a cost of approx $0.20/lb

I'm considering planting for 2015, clearfield canola for non gmo premium, maybe we plant 2 lb/ac of lumiderm clearfield cert pioneer hyb clearfield canola and 3 lb/ac of naked bin run 46A76....low risk n cost and likely a reasonable approach to agronomy...think $20ac seed vs $40/ac as all cert seed we plant 4 lb/ac seed...I guess the bin run 46-a76 seed tday is worth approx $0.30/lb...

This maybe isn't "textbook" farming, but great for discussion, and this would be legal.....in 2005, it was a year after the -6 celc morning of Aug 20, 2004 frost....wanted to learn quickly how to manage my then younger and more leveraged farm as we were selling canola then too for $6-$8/bu.....oh and most independent research farms of the day were looking at this and f2 at the time, until Bayer seemed to lean in and re-write their legal policy and emphasize their value or perennial contribution to research entities in W Canada....cuz in 3 months it was off most research farm websites and discussions

·
Super Moderator
5,041 Posts
Or spend $2000 per year and get a farmer directed research organization to do a replicated small plot trial.
And just which organization would you recommend? ;)

I used to like doing small trails but the older I get the less enthusiasm I have to do them and the more I question my results.:(

You Andy, and others here, on the other hand have posted good research data with pretty solid test parameters so while I'm losing steam myself I sure like to see what others do and report research.:)
Always a stepping stone for discussion.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
A few years back I had a field of flax after canola and totally botched the seed rate fertilizer and burned most of the flax. Just happened that there was a pretty awesome volunteer canola crop coming that was just thick enough to make a nice stand. So I sprayed the flax out! Did a solid 40 and there's no question it could have been better if it was seeded as there was spots to thin and to thick. LOL so screw statistics....and no I did not report it and yes I will deny it.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I'm tryin to cypher this....IHARF did a side by side yield data map by strips up and down the field....every strip of side by side had yield spreads in wheat...each 30 foot pass had side by side yields of - 46-49-49-52-49-46-53-53-55-62 bu/ac on 10 passes...BUT "No treatments were Applied"...this great slide or info was titled, "Why Statistical Evaluation"....and sub titled "naturally occurring variability - what is the probability that observed differences are due to chance?".....Folks, I pinned this on my office bulletin board....a simple reminder that farmer side by side observation is of interest but that is it! Take that to replicated data and over 3 years, then come back to the masses with your new statistically significant data....
You have a choice, either replicate it 400 times to get a built in check or you run a check between each strip if you only have one. Perfect, no but gives you a pretty good idea.

But to throw up your hands and say nothing works helps no one either.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
A few years back I had a field of flax after canola and totally botched the seed rate fertilizer and burned most of the flax. Just happened that there was a pretty awesome volunteer canola crop coming that was just thick enough to make a nice stand. So I sprayed the flax out! Did a solid 40 and there's no question it could have been better if it was seeded as there was spots to thin and to thick. LOL so screw statistics....and no I did not report it and yes I will deny it.
Canola is a funny crop. Seems Mother Nature has more to do with yield than anything. Although these newer hybrids respond better to groceries, handle stress better, and yield more consistently. The older op stuff of the day had the potential to yield big but I think the conditions influenced the outcomes more than anything. I would like to see some proper field scale trials between the likes of 46a76, westar, Midas, and some of the new ones. Use the best weed control for each type and use a medium fertility package. None of this 200lb an acre nitrogen test plot bs. Real world conditions. A guy who did a fair amount of plot work for a certain company told me the plots are manipulated with multiple fung apps and huge amounts of fertilizer. Kinda like putting a bull on test. Sure he might perform fantastic on full feed but he could still be no **** good cause he isn't sound enough to breed.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Canola is a funny crop. Seems Mother Nature has more to do with yield than anything. Although these newer hybrids respond better to groceries, handle stress better, and yield more consistently. The older op stuff of the day had the potential to yield big but I think the conditions influenced the outcomes more than anything. I would like to see some proper field scale trials between the likes of 46a76, westar, Midas, and some of the new ones. Use the best weed control for each type and use a medium fertility package. None of this 200lb an acre nitrogen test plot bs. Real world conditions. A guy who did a fair amount of plot work for a certain company told me the plots are manipulated with multiple fung apps and huge amounts of fertilizer. Kinda like putting a bull on test. Sure he might perform fantastic on full feed but he could still be no **** good cause he isn't sound enough to breed.

Exactly. Same for not only canola, but all crops. We have got to get on this! Our agronomy and water from the sky in a normally dry area is the ENTIRE reason for higher average yields. Only the young guys, (and I am one of them), would think 40 bushel or 50 bushel canola only happened because of supposed seed technology.

Explain 50 bushel Westar in 1986, 90 bushel harrington in 1987, 60 bushel Selkirk in 1985. 35 bushel Vimy in 1993.

All using less than 50 lbs added n. 20 or less P. We should be getting 150 barley, 80 canola, 90 hrs, and 55 flax, if we are to believe the supposed genetic advantages the breeders have supposedly added for us.

Guys, lets get on this. Where can I find some Ac Excel canola?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.