The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proposal for "Open Grade". I feel their is a huge need for an open source GPS grading software for windows 10 computers. This software would be multi use for indicating elevation and position of dozers tile plows scrapers. Once we had plain Indicate system in place then their would be full machine control to put in place. Something like Ag Open GPS is what I had in mind. I dont have the programing skills to put this in place but some of you seem to have a grasp of it. Hope somebody feels ambitious enough to take initial steps on this.

Best Regards

·
Registered
131 Posts
Subscribed! I think it is a great idea! I would be extremely interested in a system like this. I have a sprayer controller to finish tuning first but am going to keep tabs on this in the meantime...

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Good name! quick search shows its either a medcial fracture or asphalt concrete tied on the end (OGAC)

I have stripped out most of AgOpen for the Apple project, so a base exists for new projects.

While i initially thought it would be fairly simple, grade projects are very complex. Its basically 3D CAD with GPS control. Yikes! But, like AOG, start slow and build features as they get figured out.

Furthermore, elevation may well be the secret for VR seeding as well so its win win.

·
Registered
472 Posts
a few things, lol
first some way to get existing data in, either meter or foot, with an adjustable water table to show where water sits...
also some way to add to add drainage, either surface or tiled, and have the water table show drainage routes
and i cant see any choice but to run rtk for the accuracy needed, unless ordinary gps signal can be used to determine height of elevation wanted..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Rtk would be absolutely necessary for the required accuracy of installing tile. Ordinary gps might be suitable for leveling a field; a decent operator can eyeball a field and level it pretty close.

For basic tile: Maybe drive the line first, recording elevation points at whatever distance apart to get decent accuracy. Record the length to the end of the run, then have operator enter desired starting depth and desired grade. This will give the target grade path(offset accordingly from the recorded points) WITHOUT taking into account minimum depth, minimum grade, significant surface contour changes(large hills) ect. Then expand to allow multiple grades on a run.... And the graphics...... Might be easier to split into two programs, the tiling program for the tractor and the run design.

Then pick your implement! Most trenchers/land planes/dozers I have seen are simple up/down. Several different style tile plows though....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tilt comp

Having some cold weather in K.S. so not out running dozers this week. When warms back up will be pushing terraces. D8 pushing up D5 finishing. So I ordered piksi mulit kit last night and have windows 10 10 inch tablet that ive been running AOG on. So harware wise Ive got everything I need accept tilt comp. With antenna mounted around ten ft off ground and angling down into terrace chanell this will throw things off significantly this seems like the bigest problem well have trying to do this. So ive been reading AOG thread all along here and i guess im not sure if this has been solved with the BRICK or not. All Id like to do right now is to read blade elevation but without tilt comp this seems inacurate. Appreciate you guys input on this.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Yes tilt is a challenge!!! Once the Brick arrives in the mail i will give it a thorough try. It works well for Andreas so i'm expecting it to go quite well.

Added bonus - it just plugs into another USB port. Simple.

Kansas farmer, Do you think elevation would need to be compensated as the blade tilts or is it "close enough"?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes tilt is a challenge!!! Once the Brick arrives in the mail i will give it a thorough try. It works well for Andreas so i'm expecting it to go quite well.

Added bonus - it just plugs into another USB port. Simple.

Kansas farmer, Do you think elevation would need to be compensated as the blade tilts or is it "close enough"?
It seems like it would be I guess it obvously depends on how much slope your dealing with. Tried to do some calculations and what i came up with for a 10 percent slope with an antenna mounted 13 ft above blade is elevation would read about an inch off, but horizontal position would be about 16 inches off. So I think at some point its goin to be a must. What program do you recomend for writing Code?

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
The code is all written, we just need a stable and easy to use IMU

Edit: I think you mean the main application - C# and Opengl seem to work well and you can write a lot of application in a short time.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
I spoke with a buddy in MB about his grade software, so see if i'm understanding this.

1. Drive along and map the elevation of the desired route - this is basically just driving along with a single section on recording the X,Y positions with respective elevation at all those points.

2. Take a 3D side profile of the resultant elevation path and fit a desired sloping line to that curve.

3. Determine, based on the cut line and actual elevation line, the areas that need cut and fill.

4. Autosteer the driving unit back along that same line.

5. Auto height the cutting blade based on cut/fill levels based on cut/fill line. This could be manual also showing a difference between desired and actual.

So i've ripped apart AgOpenGPS and am left with just the basics. Number 1 can be done with a single section on as it records position and elevation already.

Number 2 and 3 needs writing.

Number 4 already works in AgOpen

Number 5 - easy to show the delta on blade height vs desired.

Does this sound reasonable in terms of rough project design?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian: Yes that sounds like a start. Just sitting here thinking that keeping elevation date flexible will be important meters/ft and on ft there is decimals or inches.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
There’s a few of us in America that wishes we were metric. Great times when companies mix standard and metric components on the same equipment.

The machine shop i work in uses a mix like that standerd/metric threads standerd dimensions that are obviously converted from metric. But it is the reality. Flexability is nice. Hopefully this is the easy part all the other stuff youve mentioned sounds like the hard part.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Very feeble first attempt. Ripped apart agopengps to create this. Its crude as can be - but is the concept workable? Thoughts?

The bottom elevation side profile can autosize for length but can add buttons to max out vertical resolution. Once a desired line is drawn, then you can calculate how far above / below the desired line you actually are.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looks great for a first step!

I am assuming this is constructed with the assumption that there is only one antenna and it is on the cutting point? Shouldn't be any problem with that as long as you are not running a train of scrapers.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Yes, but more could be added.

The simplest setup would be to just put the antenna on the dozer blade or scraper apron.

So is auto steer even needed?

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Good grief that's insanely close to the meal ticket already!

The nice thing with GPS is you can drain with the curvature of the earth rather than flat grading or flat sections like you would with a laser.

So with that looking at your examples with GPS your "flat sections" would just get cut you your set slope minimum.

With a laser you would either set it on one plane and cut all the corner's off (moving more dirt than needed) or resetting the laser for each plane (PITA).

That's something for the consideration for the design part of the software.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Think it's already looking good!

i'd focus without auto steer to keep it simple and working. can always add it later.

I've used agps and they always made you start at the low end vs the high end of the ditch. not sure why...suppose to identify negative slope situations?

1)being able to insert a preferred slope minimum would be beneficial (suppose 0 could be to create a flat surface?)
2)during the calculation of the cut path, an alert to pop up if it can not meet minimum slope preference
2A)option to override and accept cut path if minimum slope preference is not obtainable
2B)Have a few ditches that have 0 slope or small low spot in the middle of a run that is already lower than an outlet. Need to be able to bypass these situations and have a slope that will overlook these occurrences.
3)eventually tracking/labeling of ditches to each field?
3A)I think to speed up development this would not be needed.
4)a information box with estimated material to be removed.
4a)Nice to have an estimate how long it would take you to create a new ditch or estimate if its worth the time to drain a spot.
5)offset from "bottom of cut"
5A)this is a nice feature to help feather the slope or sides of a ditch out. being able to enter a offset distance and selecting how many times to offset works great. Believe AGPS generated addition offset cut lines in the side view of the ditch profile that were different colors from bottom of cut.
5B)also nice if your trying to take the tops out of the ditch. otherwise you may end up trying to cut a foot+ deep in some locations
6)A dummy 3 (or more) light tree light (top color red, middle green, bottom light red) to identify blade height in relation to current blade height.
6A)this is a nice visual to identify when driving too fast for the hydraulics to adjust to the depth and speed that's being cut.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts