The Combine Forum banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Would it be a lot more flexible to do it after the fact with the mouse showing not only the slope but the cut and fill values of the new point before it is clicked?

Right now the new point gets put after the click is made and it only shows slope from last point to this potential next one.

Basically just showing a lot more information before clicking with limits based around min slope set for the entire distance?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Does other systems indicate the slope(outside of the initial min slope setting)? Would be nice to expand on this, but myself, I'm satisfied with knowing only the min slope or how it currently displays the slope until the user clicks.

I could be wrong, please correct me if so. I get the feeling there is a disconnect between the design intent vs the specifics Kansas is looking for. Where current design intent appears to be geared towards water management vs terrain slope/grading management. These two worlds cross over and have similarities, but only so much. Think a version 2 would be needed to create the surface management tools Kansas is looking for.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Not sure what he's after. You survey a block. Make a design and then your blade is + or - grade. I can't imagine Brian coming up with a whole surface grading software solution.

I'd be pleased as punch with the single section survey and indication of distance off grade.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Yup, I would really struggle coding, as would the computer, to build the cutline if the survey line isn't already recorded.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Does other systems indicate the slope(outside of the initial min slope setting)? Would be nice to expand on this, but myself, I'm satisfied with knowing only the min slope or how it currently displays the slope until the user clicks.

I could be wrong, please correct me if so. I get the feeling there is a disconnect between the design intent vs the specifics Kansas is looking for. Where current design intent appears to be geared towards water management vs terrain slope/grading management. These two worlds cross over and have similarities, but only so much. Think a version 2 would be needed to create the surface management tools Kansas is looking for.
Your probably right. Ill try to quite diving down rabbit holes.
So in the draw tab in OG what are the 4 numbers in lower right corner of window? With touchscreen it looks like I wont know slope until after I click?

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
i'm writing right now the ability to show cut/fill/slope amounts for each additional point plus the existing clicked points where the crosshairs are even before you click done in real time - without having to save the line to get them. Its a lot of real time calcs, and draw them, and not crash.

I'm pretty sure it is the best of all the worlds - being able to move the line around by moving the mouse with all the information present, then when its right, click.

That first version is pretty rough.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Well here is the latest. It is still mostly only metric - but has lots of functionality.

Wasn't sure if clear in the video, but the bar graph on the right side for display of blade to cut line delta is adjustable. Click on the green graph to increase, red to decrease, the amount of full scale distance a full scale bar will show. The amount is the x2 etc above the bar graph.

Enjoy! I'll try to get it on Github by tonight.

Edit: By tomorrow night lol.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Are you goin to Put this version on GITHUB or should I use installer mentioned on AOG.:)
Just finishing up the little things to clean it up. Will be up this evening - i promise!

Did you try the installer?

Edit:
The latest is on Github.

Make sure to uninstall any previous versions.

Just run Setup.exe contained in Installer folder. Give it a try and please let me know of the inevitable bugs/problems/pains

https://github.com/farmerbriantee/OpenGrade

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I did try installer and it worked on desktop. Have Github version now but havnt put on tablet yet. Looks good but not sure how drawing cut line will go with touchscreen.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
You can get Bluetooth mice that don't need a transmitter. They just connect.

I'm not sure how else to draw the line other then click the spots.

touch worked pretty good on my Acer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
You can get Bluetooth mice that don't need a transmitter. They just connect.

I'm not sure how else to draw the line other then click the spots.

touch worked pretty good on my Acer.
I dont mean to harp on insignificant detail but with mouse you can hover over a spot and see slope for that spot before click. With touchscreen I never see slope at all just cut and fill. Maybe im missing something. Could you set it up do CLick and drag as in touch your finger to screen move around and then let up at spot.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I dont mean to harp on insignificant detail but with mouse you can hover over a spot and see slope for that spot before click. With touchscreen I never see slope at all just cut and fill. Maybe im missing something. Could you set it up do CLick and drag as in touch your finger to screen move around and then let up at spot.
Almost impossible to do with winforms (The programming API of all the forms you see). Incorporating touchscreen elements are really hard because it was never designed for it. You can get track balls that just sit flat on the surface and you spin the ball rather then move the mouse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi.

Found this thread because I have a yard/field to grade and, being a DIY computer geek with more time than money, who's also a hobby farmer, I wanted to hook up a GPS to my tractor and auto-grade my yard/field. Thought I had a great idea that I'd never seen being done before. Should have known better. :)

Please forgive my naivety, I'm not a (real) farmer, I've never surveyed anything, I don't do grading, and I'm mostly a hardware guy...

Looks like opengrade is about 80-90% of what I had thought of (I think). *My* idea was to travel the area with an RTK rover importing existing data into something like QGIS, then modifying the map as needed to get a new profile, and downloading the new map/data to the rover unit. The rover could compare the current position/height with expected position/height and set the blade accordingly. Would that not eliminate any path restrictions? You could "just drive" and get the profile you need -- you would probably have to set restrictions on maximum cut/fill per pass but you could drive the area multiple times until the terrain matches the profile. Maybe this is already possible? As I said, I'm not up on all this so my understanding may be WAY off, sorry.

You can't believe how excited I am to have found this thread. My wife & kids think I'm have nuts for dreaming up this stuff and here you have not only validated my thoughts but have a working chunk of software available! Thank you.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Hi.

Found this thread because I have a yard/field to grade and, being a DIY computer geek with more time than money, who's also a hobby farmer, I wanted to hook up a GPS to my tractor and auto-grade my yard/field. Thought I had a great idea that I'd never seen being done before. Should have known better. :)

Please forgive my naivety, I'm not a (real) farmer, I've never surveyed anything, I don't do grading, and I'm mostly a hardware guy...

Looks like opengrade is about 80-90% of what I had thought of (I think). *My* idea was to travel the area with an RTK rover importing existing data into something like QGIS, then modifying the map as needed to get a new profile, and downloading the new map/data to the rover unit. The rover could compare the current position/height with expected position/height and set the blade accordingly. Would that not eliminate any path restrictions? You could "just drive" and get the profile you need -- you would probably have to set restrictions on maximum cut/fill per pass but you could drive the area multiple times until the terrain matches the profile. Maybe this is already possible? As I said, I'm not up on all this so my understanding may be WAY off, sorry.

You can't believe how excited I am to have found this thread. My wife & kids think I'm have nuts for dreaming up this stuff and here you have not only validated my thoughts but have a working chunk of software available! Thank you.
Always good to find a fellow crazy! Comforting to know there are lots of us isn't it :)

What you are describing is however going from 2D side profile of OpenGrade to a full 3D mapping. That is a big leap.

But... the source code is there, and would be so cool to extend it!

And welcome to the forum! please also put in your location, always interesting to know where people are from.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Open Grade use

Brian this is in response to post in SWIFTNAV thread. All im really using Open Grade for in terracing application is a place to display a zeroable elevation, and to place position flags. Ive only had it running one day and never even pushed survey button. Im really tickled to have RTK elevation in cab at all times. Really to incorporate terracing properly we would probably need to go to a setup were we drive field every hundred feet, load into a design software like sketchup, and create new field surface.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Yes im pleased with swift now hopefully it holds up. turned on and zeroed saturday and went home for breakfast came back few hours later turned on and was still at zero:50:. I understand OG wasnt really designed for what im doin but actually i think I could setup a cut line that i could work perpendicular to and would be at zero at bottom of channel every pass

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
3D grade

So what would it take to take Open Grade to a 3D setup. Would we need different language? Is it just a lot more c# programming ? Lots of engineers.Just wondering.:8:

61 - 80 of 117 Posts