The Combine Forum banner

Open Grade

47K views 141 replies 18 participants last post by  BlackAce 
#1 ·
Proposal for "Open Grade". I feel their is a huge need for an open source GPS grading software for windows 10 computers. This software would be multi use for indicating elevation and position of dozers tile plows scrapers. Once we had plain Indicate system in place then their would be full machine control to put in place. Something like Ag Open GPS is what I had in mind. I dont have the programing skills to put this in place but some of you seem to have a grasp of it. Hope somebody feels ambitious enough to take initial steps on this.

Best Regards

#112 ·
The Ardusimple F9 RTK GPS boards I used for seeding this spring worked flawlessly with an NTRIP client on my phone using the XBee bluetooth. I'm so impressed. I'd love to use them now for ground work in the fall. A closed center hydraulic solenoid valve can't be too hard to control. Not like it needs to react as fast as a steering wheel. Love to see this happen too. Controlling the cut depth manually while bouncing around the tractor cab watching the tablet is surprisingly hard. I had an Emlid Reach mounted on a mast directly on the cutting edge last fall.

#113 ·
Cut line window fix

Brian: Their are a few things I would like some help fixing in Open Grade.

1- Their are still some metric numbers in cut line window when drawing line (see picture).
2- Need to be able to expand cut windows elevation range for example when using on trencher right now it goes about 6 inches above and below your surveyed elevation.
3- Need to be able to adjust how far horizontally from cut line we get a reading.

Ive been studying some c# programming by watching youtuve videos. But still have a long way to go and feel like ive hardly scratched the surface. Could you give me some guidance on were to find these areas in the code and how to change them. Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Fritz

Attachments

#114 ·
This looks interesting, however, looks like a bit of work to couple everything.

We've been using optisurface for landshaping for many years. It's very smart saving us a lot of earthworks due to the way they calculate designs. They also have some neat ditch design tools as well that I haven't used too much but plan to soon.

#123 ·
My interest in the software is for use in my road construction business building driveways and making drainage improvements.

I read earlier that it wasn't for leveling but that would be useful!

I was just wondering about how the program is put together. It seems in a sql world, one might say, I'm at x,y and what is the z needed for grade.
If your talking about the code im afraid i havnt learned enough to help you their.

#126 ·
Hi all. I’ve been working on a code mod to Opengrade to let an arduino automatically control a hydraulic valve connected to the blade on a scraper. Before I put all the gear in the tractor and test today I made a quick video describing my setup. Thought some of you might be interested in this work. I’m using a 12v 30GPM valve from Trausch Dynamics. Everything you see on the video of the valve was about US$330. I setup this valve for fingertip switch control instead of cable lever control for a loader mounted firewood processor. I added another switch to the box for automatic control. Pressing that lets the arduino relay control the valve. It’s a pretty quick and dirty hack to some pretty nice code but it makes the lights blink and seems to get the job done. Here's the Youtube link.

#127 ·
Hi all. I’ve been working on a code mod to Opengrade to let an arduino automatically control a hydraulic valve connected to the blade on a scraper. Before I put all the gear in the tractor and test today I made a quick video describing my setup. Thought some of you might be interested in this work. I’m using a 12v 30GPM valve from Trausch Dynamics. Everything you see on the video of the valve was about US$330. I setup this valve for fingertip switch control instead of cable lever control for a loader mounted firewood processor. I added another switch to the box for automatic control. Pressing that lets the arduino relay control the valve. It’s a pretty quick and dirty hack to some pretty nice code but it makes the lights blink and seems to get the job done. Here's the Youtube link.

#129 ·
Some OpenGrade updates I have made to Brian's Wonderful Program! Connects to an ESP32 module I have made up the control the automatic height control as well as manually control height through a joystick. As well added the ability to Level and area without recording and surveying a path. Lots of interesting things to come I'm sure!

Font Screenshot Line Software Rectangle
Product Rectangle Font Slope Asphalt
Light Product Rectangle Black Slope

#130 ·
Some OpenGrade updates I have made to Brian's Wonderful Program! Connects to an ESP32 module I have made up the control the automatic height control as well as manually control height through a joystick. As well added the ability to Level and area without recording and surveying a path. Lots of interesting things to come I'm sure!
This is awesome, what would it take to have it run with a DAC controller?

#132 ·

It is a commercially available controller that plugs into the factory wiring harness. Many different land forming and ditching software programs use it. (Optisurface, sd drain, GCS)

Back to your updates, the ability to create a basic plane, and level an area is a very useful tool. Full survey and Ditch design is great for main runs, but for small pot holes that only need to drain 40 meters or so, it is handy to benchmark to the bottom of the low spot and go.

#137 ·
I have the project pretty well wrapped up now a lot more info can be found here

OpenGradeX
And here
Grade control

The system OpenGradeX is now fully wireless and uses a DAC8000 style controller to run onboard SCV’s on both CNH and Deere tractors. Includes a wireless antenna module that send all info to cab via wifi. I haven’t implement much of a tile option as We don’t tile and I’m not sure of the process. If someone could explain it to me I’m I could add it to the program.

#138 ·
Thank you,

I did read through those posts. I suspect OpenGradeX would work for controlling a cantilever/single pitch style plow. I don't think it would work on a dual link mounted plow, but i don't have real world experience on either unfortunately, just assisting the guys that did some tile work for us.

The process is fairly strait forward. You need to be able to map a field for elevation and decide where your outlet and main is going to be, typically the lowest point of the field. The main would be a larger pipe that the smaller laterals hook into and it would be laid first. Mains will be 4-7 feet deep typically where the laterals target depth will be 30-48 inches. Then usually you will make a pass to confirm grade off the main for your lateral come back to the main where a start hole would be dug to grade for laterals, back your plow up, set to grade, confirm pitch and go. A lateral "run" is typically less than 1400 feet in length. In this area the land is relatively flat so we are dealing with minimal pitches on most runs of .02-.1 depending on the coefficient required for proper capacity.

I'm sure a tile guru would be able to explain it a lot better than myself.

#142 ·
Program is on my Github yes, I’m tentative to sell controllers as I don’t want to support them should there be an issue but if someone wants one with a full disclaimer then can get in contact with me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.