The Combine Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
We don't have a pull type but here's my experience with H8080s for what it's worth. It's quite simple actually, lower it into the crop go until you run out of horsepower or can't stay in the seat. Their capacity is incredible, mole hills, dirt, lumps of old hay and stuff doesn't bother them, rocks are hard on knives so it is best to roll your fields if you have rocks, some will say diskbines go through more knives then sickle machines in rocks but I think the speed and the weight of the header have a bigger influence. I like to keep knives of equal wear together so if one breaks I'll replace both and keep the used one for if another breaks and the used ones match, you have to remember there are left and right knives so don't mix them up. The knives are also available in different angles for different crop lifting ability, not sure if changing the angle helps much. A diskbine does not cut as clean as a sickle and the crop grows back less evenly, wear on knives has some effect on this, I try to rotate them when the leading side has about a half inch radius but others around here will run them until they are almost worn right off. If you have rocks or metal go through the machine you might break a shear hub, they are kind of expensive but easy to change, in a pinch we have spot welded the shear hubs together to get through a weekend, just remember that is your only protection for the gear set below it and they are about eight times as much money. The manual will have tricks and tips to help you out also. I would read very carefully the maintenance section because there are a number of lube points and oil level checks that should be done at least once a season (modular gearbox oil levels come to mind).
Overall I think you will really like the machine, if it's like the big ones you will never be under there unplugging it or leaving strips because of dirt on the knives, and daily maintenance is less then half a sickle machine.

Good luck :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.