The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What (Smaller) Machines work well on Grass seed?
Birdsfoot?
Timothy?
Clover?
Also what to do small Grains , like wheat ,oats, rye , barley
ETC>?
I don't know that much about new machines. So if I get one I want it to be versitile as possible on 60 acres of Small Grains and Grass Seed .

Thank you for your opinions :)

·
Registered
925 Posts
A conventional walker machine will serve you well a JD 6600 7700 /7720 or even a 9400, 9500 for the right price would be worth while considering . One JD model that I don't know much about is the 4425 which I believe was built in Germany . MF 750 ,760 ,860 will do the job but we were never keen on the return rethresher on those machines .New Holland conventional CX 66 and 68 also do a good job in small seed .

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Good question. I just use a stock 9760 STS for alfalfa seed. I would be interested in what can be done to improve it. Thinking of fixed hole sieve and sunnybrook concaves.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
A conventional walker machine will serve you well a JD 6600 7700 /7720 or even a 9400, 9500 for the right price would be worth while considering . One JD model that I don't know much about is the 4425 which I believe was built in Germany . MF 750 ,760 ,860 will do the job but we were never keen on the return rethresher on those machines .New Holland conventional CX 66 and 68 also do a good job in small seed .
I'll go along with this info.

I will ad that the rethresher on the massey's can be reworked to do small seeds effectively.
Usually a high capacity tailing system that goes back up to the front of the threshing system is best for seeds.
The older JDs listed above also drop the tailings into the elevator from above the elevator chain instead of forcing the tailing intot he side of the elevator, which limits its capacity in fluffy seeds. Not sure about the other brands listed, but if they go to the front of the thresher, then they are good seed machines.

IMO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder about that 6600 that I saw for sale ,$1600 , w diesel , i would not know the first thing to look for? It does not have a head ? So what good is that?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Good question. I just use a stock 9760 STS for alfalfa seed. I would be interested in what can be done to improve it. Thinking of fixed hole sieve and sunnybrook concaves.
Get a round hole pre-cleaner and dont worry about the sunny unless your concaves and rubs are shot. Keep 3-5 rows of the concaves blanked off at front of concave.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I wonder about that 6600 that I saw for sale ,$1600 , w diesel , i would not know the first thing to look for? It does not have a head ? So what good is that?
Usually a 6600 diesel is desirable. No head is not that un-common. Depending on your location, a platform with pickup should not be too difficult to locate for it.

There are so many people that love these older machines and want to see them used, you should be able to find someone with some experience and knowledge of the machine to go look at it with you. You might make some new friends just asking around for assistance with it.

One really good thing about these old combines, is if you have some basic maintenance knowledge and basic hand tools, you can do most of the repairs yourself and you will get to know how the machine works just maintaining it. You will need a good grease gun as there are lots of greasables on them. Many people seem to frown upon that, but I like it as I can spot a potential problem coming up when I inspect the machine while greasing it each morning.

Maybe you can post your location or the ad for the 6600 and se if someone is local to it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
i am very happy with my jd 7720. the only thing i dislike is my return does not drop into the elevator it pushes. it works fine in grass but we have blown it out in sugar beets more then once. i prefer rasp bar but spike works. if doing clover need rubber concave for rasp or clover teeth for spike. rasp bars don't like tall fescue due to the clumps in the windrows and will bend concaves. they are both good i use my 7720 in 14ft windrows its a little much for that small machine but it works just slow down. i don't like the non adjustable sieves but thats my preference.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Regardless of the machine model, the question is, what is your tailings over loading with? Clean viables? Light non viables? Doubles? In other words, if you know what is in the tailings, it will tell you where to start making adjustments.

If clean viable seed, the shoe might be the place to start. If light non viables and light chaff, the fan might need to be faster. Doubles and no groted seeds, the threshing might need to be a bit more aggressive.

Sometimes though, if the crop is not fit to harvest, or is compromised, you just have to go with it and do what you can.

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you want a older machine to do grass seed or alfalfa seed clover whator ever the 750 ,760 850 and 860 Massey Ferguson combines do a great job. There are still some running in the Willamette valley in Oregon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts