The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on putting up a 60'x72'x16' Morton for a shop/storage building. The question is should I go full concrete or 2/3 concrete and the rest gravel? Will the building sweat more if it is not all concrete? Since part of it will be storage was thinking that gravel would be a better use of my money. A tractor with an oil leak could sit on the gravel instead of leaving spots on the new floor.
Building will not be insulated at this point, maybe spray foam later. Also would like to add a 20' apron on the main door at a later time.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Having done what your describing and if I could do it all over again i'd concrete the whole floor. Floor dry is an easy fix for oil leaks, stepping off into a gravel pit only causes twisted ankles.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Depending on what kind of base material you use the gravel/sand mix will turn to powder and always migrate onto the concrete making it a constant chore to keep clean.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Maybe sized rock would be a better material?

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I wouldn't worry about oil stains on the floor. It is a shop, not a dance floor.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I would concrete it as I despise the 2 sheds we have that have a partial concrete floor. They're not used much but the concrete is always covered in dirt.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Concrete the whole thing. We have a 50x100 we finished 60ft. In 2011. We just got done doing the other 40ft in nov.

Check out qsi buildings out of yoder ks. Save you about 20k and is a better building

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
We only have one shed that has cement, its not heated ether but initially we had part of the floor poured but that didn't stay that way long .. in went the rest of the floor by the next year I think.

If you are building that size of a shop I presume something of size/height will want to be put in and would say from shop's I've seen that are of that size or larger, put the extra into it and go with 18' walls so you can have at least 16' clearance at the doors.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would concrete the whole thing. You then will see the oil leaks and can get them fixed on a rainy day. If not, I would just at least 3/4" clean rock, if not 2". Otherwise you will be sweeping the concrete every time you move something in or out as the finer rock tends to collect more dirt.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was facing a similar decision with a new Morton shop/storage building( 60'x 180' ) last Spring...decided to bite the added $$$ and go 100% concrete floor as well as extra wide 8' sidewalks outside the building while the crew was onsite... Now I'm so glad I did it !:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts